Undeserved low AutoCheck scores. Potential legal action against Experian?

More a hypothetical question, but I list a car on Ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Saturn-Vue-Redline-AWD-with-FREE-DELIVERY/153019032453?hash=item23a0a52385:g:sHYAAOSwtJBa9kcL and it generates an AutoCheck score which they characterize as “low”. It has no accidents, clean title and odometer. Seems like an arbitrary number they put on cars perhaps by age or mileage. Seems like a class action potential? It could impact the saleabilty and price of many listings.

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

It’s a 14 year old car with nearly 200k miles from a company that doesnt exist any more. How high would you expect it’s score to be? You want to sue them because they include a score that accurately reflects the car’s marketability and value, so it affects your ability to sell it to unsuspecting people who otherwise would’ve overlooked that and bought the car “because it looks nice”? The number isnt arbitrary, you are selling a car that isnt a very good choice for most people.

Edit: And good lord, 200 pictures?!?!

Edit2: You forgot your free delivery details, as promised at the beginning of the listing.

3 Likes

But if it has had thousands in service and maintenance to make it go another 100,000 miles, why is the score just an arbitrary figure based on generalizations? History reports are to determine odometer fraud, salvage loss, lemon lay buybacks, etc. Quality of the vehicle is determined through other sources.

I looked at about 10 and thought it was a joke listing. Sorry atikovi.

I’m not sure if autocheck takes your listing into account, but a cursory glance shows a discrepancy between your listing and autocheck (one vs two owners).

I wouldn’t waste any time on trying to fight autocheck. They’re apparently owned by Experian and am certain they’ve wrapped themselves thoroughly in disclaimers and legalese, with more outs than Nolan Ryan ever dreamed of.

Edit: But I admire your chutzpah - 6k for a 15 year old Saturn with 200k. And my hat’s off to you for getting that many miles out of a Saturn.

1 Like

It’s a Saturn…you’d have to pay most people to take it off your hands.

2 Likes

Supply and demand. Look online and there may only be 2 or 3 of these for sale in the whole country. Those that know what they are will pay close to what I’m selling for.

But then wouldn’t the autocheck score not matter?

Don’t know. Just don’t like loose ends like that.

In a lawsuit you’d generally have to show damages. I’m not saying you do or don’t have damages, but your scenario describes your car as one that only people looking for saturns would want to buy (and presumably all Saturns will have this “problem”). Or at the very least, they would already know what their getting in a Saturn so the number on a report wouldn’t matter. Either way, you haven’t explained why someone who would otherwise buy the car now won’t because of this score.

No interior pics?
The score follows a formula, most likely by taking age, miles, accidents, service records, and model reliability into account. Outside looks fantastic, but realistically, a car of that brand, age, and miles is going to have many repairs down the road and the score reflects that.

IMO this whole thing is pretty ridiculous. You’re going to sue some company that shows your car has a clean title and don’t like the arbitrary number it’s assigning it?

Maybe it’d get a better score if you were the only owner. Or show any kind of maintenance performed at a dealership in the 13 years it’s been on the road (I just see registration events showing up).

And 200 pictures for a 5k car? I can’t imagine having to take that many to sell a ~$5k vehicle. I sold an old Toyota for $7k six months ago and took about 7 pictures. This is a Saturn, not some vintage collectible.

2 Likes