Using Wikis on this Site

As with FWF, this software allows a post to be flagged as a “wiki” and then all users can edit that post.

[details=Old Solution]We can make this behavior default, but only for the first post. That’s our current setup (it can be turned off). Otherwise, a moderator or admin can make any post a Wiki.

Given this setup, it seems that the best way to post is to make a brief introduction post with simple details and reserve the second post for your, personal discussion.

Alternatively, we can disable the automatic wiki, and when you make a new topic, make the second post empty, and PM an admin to change the post into a wiki.[/details]

When users create a new topic from 11/8 on, a second post will be automatically generated, and it will be a wiki. For the time being, existing first-post wikis will remain as such.

If you make a topic where you don’t want the first post to be a Wiki, just send me (or another mod) a PM, and it can be disabled. We’ll keep them on by default unless and until we feel the need to change the functionality.

Cheers

3 Likes

A major appeal to the Slickdeals/Fatwallet styled wiki’s was the ability to quickly DEAD a deal. The 2nd post be the actual first post seem very backwards and will take a long time for the community to learn and probably only if they find this post.

I don’t see the Hot Deals section taking off unless there’s a quick and easy way for the community to tag a deal as dead as any comment will just bubble it back up. I think this needs to be rethought, is there some type of plugin we can use?

You could just edit the first post AND the subject line. Adding [DEAD] (or something like that) in the subject and at the beginning of the first post should do it. And I don’t think editing will bubble it up, though I haven’t checked this.

1 Like

Tried it earlier, seems like the original poster has to approve it or it won’t change. Kinda defeats the purpose of a wiki if only one person can make the final edit.

Is this talking about the “quick summary” area on FW which was below the first post on a thread?

Except for a few threads on FW, I found that area to be a waste of space or full of incomplete and/or outdated or incorrect or even hostile information (there was a period of a month or two a couple of years ago when someone was leaving snarky “summaries” that mainly conveyed the commenter’s opinion of the OP).

I would say that it’s not necessary on most threads, and for the few threads where it’s desired by the OP and/or by the community, it could be requested, and then put into place by the mods. In other words, I would make it an opt-in thing, rather than opt-out.

1 Like

Bump. Second Post Wiki (Quick Summary) functionality has been created!

1 Like