Whither equity investments?

and not so much by closing. this is bad.

bad news is good news… is bad news.

Telling everyone inflation was under control was taken badly when it turns out it wasn’t. Food and housing continue higher even as energy prices fell again.

• S&P 500 CLOSES 4.3% LOWER IN WORST DAY SINCE JUNE 11, 2020
  • Every single stock in the NASDAQ 100 closed red today

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/inflation-report-dampens-biden-s-attempts-to-celebrate-the-economy/ar-AA11LV4J?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d2cc4e626088425ca2f9240397859d7b

1 Like

So why is he celebrating?

Despite his actions, he’s no idiot … or the people “advising” him aren’t idiots. If you knew that no one was going to call you on it, wouldn’t you take advantage of it and claim victory?

1 Like

Good and valid point.

all the money they just lost in the stock market wasn’t really worth much anyway thanks to inflation.

Speaker Pelosi spoke to constituents at a press conference, reminding them that 1.6 trillion dollars isn’t what it used to be thanks to near record levels of inflation. “It’s 1.6 trillion, what is that, like three barrels of oil?” said Pelosi. “$1.6 trillion is barely enough to remodel one of my kitchens. Calm down, everyone.”

3 Likes

Beware the hawks!!

A hawkish Fed might be targeting equity bloat.

1 Like

FedEx 20% down today after revenue warning, fearing global recession. BTW, as of 11 AM EDT, the stock is at the same level it was back on December 2019, the pandemic’s eve.

2 Likes

So there will be two ETFs NANC and KRUZ tracking congress investments. I’ll buy both to hedge :wink:

2 Likes

and biggest drop since 1980s, how many of you were around in 1987? Does it “feel” like that?

1 Like

No, it doesn’t feel like that. It feels more like the late 60’s / early 70’s -

• Death by a thousand cuts.
  • The kind of soulless decline that will turn many people off of stock markets for their lifetime.
  • The kind of pessimistic market that will make retirees hope they don’t live too long. :slight_smile:

Nineteen eighty-seven was a very sharp, correction. IIRC, it lasted all of one day, and was blamed on (computer) program trading. It was not dragged out, and the pain was entirely in your rear-view mirror. Don’t get me wrong, it took 5 or 6 years to recover fully, but the painful drop was brief.

3 Likes

. yeah a slow drowning… I guess the + side is you get a chance to course correct. But I agree this could be a secular long term bear market :frowning:

Dam, I was about to get back in, but you guys are bumming me out :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was just seeing the silver lining in the storm clouds. :smile:
… that’s presuming you’ve got put options. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Investing in inflationary times. Active management and trend following found to outperform.

top hedge fund guy commenting on markets

short article / summary

and a recent longer interview he gave

1 Like

Cautious market commentary from a mutual fund, skip the intro if you’re not into the Seinfeld analogy.

1 Like

During much of the current cycle, aggressive debt growth, debt monetization, and record fiscal deficits have stimulated the economy and asset prices. It’s been an ideal environment for corporate profits and margins.

No offense to your post, and I appreciate them since I don’t get many of these kinds of commentaries, but …

NSS. Their depth and comprehension of the obvious is amazing. The Seinfeld episode was more entertaining, and possibly more enlightening. :frowning:

ETA: A review of my inbox reveals a similar, astonishingly moronic, message:

[FIDELITY VIEWPOINTS®](https://click.fidelityinvestments.com
MONTHLY EDITION: September 2022

M&A slows

M&A activity has cooled down substantially in 2022. The reason why shouldn’t surprise you.

era of free money is over. i remember where every idea was a good idea with free interest rates in my MBA. Time to pay the piper

2 Likes

Q is whether big boys will buy? or look out below??