Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

earn bank up to 2.41%

Ken is featuring a High Yield Savings account on his blog that I haven’t heard of before. Tab Bank High Yield Savings 2.30%

https://www.tabbank.com/high-yield-savings/

1 Like

Ken is featuring the Leader Money Market account from Mutual Bank. 2.43% on deposits up to 250k. Minimum opening deposit is 1k new money. What’s interesting is they promise to automatically match the Fed Fund Rate on the 15th of each month. Thoughts on this one?

https://www.mymutualbank.com/leader-money-market

2 Likes

@zzz Thanks for sharing about mymutualbank. It has me intrigued. Thinking about using it for a cd that Matures on Friday.

1 Like

I found the Ally 1% bonus deal so much fun, that I am doing a similar Capital One deal. There is $500 on $50,000 on deposit for 90-100 days or a different deal to get $600 on $100,000. The latter is not available if you’ve ever had savings at Capital One (and presumably ING DIrect). Ever. But the first deal only looks back to 2016.

True they are only paying 2%, but the effective rate for the 100 days on $50,000 is 5.65%. I’ll take it.

1 Like

Do you have a link to this promotion?

All America Bank and Redneck Bank both up to 2.5%

2 Likes

I believe those are capped at 50K FYI.

2 Likes

Yes, sorry.

1. Open a 360 Money Market account between 12:00 a.m. ET on January 1, 2019, and 11:59 p.m. ET on February 28, 2019. When you open your account, enter your promotional code—CELEBRATE. If you have or had an open savings product with Capital One after January 1, 2016, you’re ineligible for the bonus.
  2. Deposit $10,000 or more of new money from an external bank (transfers between Capital One accounts will not qualify) within the first 10 days of account opening (Initial Funding Period). The amount of your bonus will be determined as follows:
  • $200 bonus — you maintained a daily balance of $10,000 - $49,999.99 for the first 90 days following the Initial Funding Period
  • $500 bonus — you maintained a daily balance of $50,000 or more for the first 90 days following the Initial Funding Period
  1. If your daily balance drops to a lower tier at any point during the 90-day period, you’ll earn the lower tier bonus. If you make additional deposits during the 90-day period to reach the next tier, you’ll only be eligible for the lower tier bonus.
  2. This offer cannot be combined with any other Capital One Bank or Capital One 360 new savings account opening offer. Bonus is only valid for one account.

https://www.capitalone.com/celebrate200/

1 Like

It appears that you need to be a resident of Massachusetts.

Well crap…will have to find new one for cd maturing friday…how did you find out it was Mas only?

Had to make a similar decision recently. Believe it or not went with the Ally 2.30% no-penalty CD. OK, so why?

Several things:

First, have a rate lock on chance interest rates go south.

Second, still have hope Ally might raise the rate one or two more times. It has happened before, and recently.

Third, more comfortable with Ally than some new financial institution I’ve never heard of which might make me victim of a teaser rate.

Fourth, I always can change my mind and go in a different direction should a really solid deal, with a rate lock, emerge elsewhere.

But so far the money remains at Ally.

I’m in PA and so far account opening has gone fine. Time will tell.

I also have CD funds maturing next week & also early Feb. At this point I will go with EBSB savings 2.5%. As long as the EBSB rate stays, or I may go PurePoint savings 2.3%.

Ya, where are those high CD rates we heard of coming?

From DepositAccounts.com (aka "Ken’s site): “Availability:** Massachusetts”

However, the application doesn’t state any restrictions and seems to allow people from all states to apply. zzz, let us know if you have any issues.

If it’s open to everyone, I may consider it. The big negative is the $10 monthly fee if the balance is below $1K. Like many others, when I find a better deal, I usually like to leave the account open with a small amount of money.

EBSB has been highly pleasant to deal with so far and the online banking is the familiar ibanking interface.

@shinobi I had considered Ally but it’s also my hub so when moving money from place to place there would be times I would have amounts not FDIC insured and I REALLY hate doing that. The words “Retirement savings” and “risky” should never be in the same sentence. I considered going to Purepoint’s 2.30. All american bank and it’s sister bank (I forget the name) has 2.5% but only up to 50K. Already did EBSB and it did go rather smoothly. I saw a 20 month 3.25 but wanted to keep these funds liquid…if the stock market takes another dives I’m dumping some money into my stock accounts and if it drops some more I’ll put some more in but it’s not the money I live off day to day.

I wonder if opening a $50 cd would accomplish almost the same thing in that it would maintain the relationship and hopefully reopening a checking/savings would be quick.

Just as a heads up for a couple of other posters to this thread:

You guys actually caused me to question my memory and log into my account to double check. Kindly allow me to correct the record.

Can say with certainty the current PurePoint interest rate is 2.35%, not 2.3%.

And with all the many advantages PurePoint offers, that is a darn high rate.

@zzz

Whats the word on that 2.43% deal? Did you get an account?

@Shinobi When you are doing transfers at purepoint are you using the checking or the saving? I’m assuming checking to circumvent the 6 transaction limit on savings? I was debating going with them and was debating which accounts to open.

*hmm doesn’t look like they have a checking and I was going to open the account ahead of time but with it requiring $10000 for initial buyin I’ll have to wait till the money hits ally.