CD Discussion Thread

@shinobi do you know, or does anyone else here know, if opening with GTE is a hard pull?

Sorry. I do not know. Your best bet for certain is to telephone them and ask. Here is their toll-free contact number:

888-871-2690

Good luck.

1 Like

I tried again with the Keesler online application. This time it worked for me and went through. I received an application number but no forms. I was told to await a telephone call, which is where I am right now. They said within 24 hours.

I want that Keesler 30 month jumbo which has a little gravy. Anything over 3% is gravy. Likely as not I will miss out and not get the deal because too much time will be consumed by the application process. But I had to try. Even if I miss out, Keesler is ā€œone of those credit unionsā€ where I need to be a member. From time to time they have some pretty good deals. And you must be a member if you want to take advantage.

1 Like

Transportation Federal Credit Union (TFCU) has a 2 year CD at 2.83% APY with a 1K minimum deposit. Easy membership thru ACC.

2 Likes

According to a user at deposit accounts regarding Navy Fed:

Peyton18 - I was just told that the 5yr CD special that was 3.5% will be reduced to 3.25% on Monday.

This matches the previous report that the rate would drop on 08/18.

1 Like

I hope that the process goes through for you with Keesler.

Mine got hung up with using American Cancer Society as my way in. I do belong to ACS, but they want a membership in their area. Iā€™m waiting on that. Iā€™ve decided to just put the case on hold & maybe I will call again on Monday. (if nothing happens today)

3.25% may be better than anything else around. Iā€™m waiting on a couple CDā€™s that mature the end of the month. On the other hand I still have a few add-on CDā€™s that I may use instead.

Addon cdā€™s should be saved if similar rates are still available and only used after the bottom drops.

1 Like

Yes. Equifax, at least for me.

Iā€™m surprised, that I just got that call from Keesler.

I will be receiving the forms by e-mail, including the notary form. I told her that I donā€™t scan, so I will snail mail all the info back. She said that the offer we want has been around for over a month. So I guess we should put a rush on this!:roll_eyes:

Agreed. I had to call them, they did not get back to me.

They are VERY resistant to rushing, especially when it comes to that notary thing. Iā€™m trying, but success is not mine so far.

My rep did confirm CD rates change, IF they change, on Wednesdays. That give us only until end of business Tuesday to be certain of current rate.

With them slowing things down like they are, it is a very difficult slough at this juncture.

Just received a telephone call from Keesler. There is no give whatsoever on their end. They will not make an exception, even on a temporary basis. Absent involvement of a notary they will not issue an account number. PERIOD! So if rates fall this coming Wednesday, itā€™s over for me.

I cant help but wonder if your issue with a notarized signature is based more on principle, than any actual obstacle to getting it done.

Naaa, I have no objection to appearing before a notary. Have done so in the past any number of times.

But I live way out in the country, nowhere near to where there is a notary. Only shop for food once a month because of the length of the trip. Will be making my monthly foray this coming week. Where I buy food there are, in the same city, several notaries. So will get it done then as I customarily do, everything on the same trip.

As prep for this Keesler try I studied Kenā€™s old posting from last year when everyone went for that 5% CD. There are hundreds of comments, all Keesler related. One guy mentioned being put through an identity screening, you know where they obtain questions generated by your credit report. Well, they did that to me and I passed no problems. And they have my driverā€™s license. But they still have doubts about my identity. What can I tell you? Keesler is a ā€œbelt and suspendersā€ kind of operation when it comes to identity confirmation.

ETA

Off topic

Since itā€™s a hard pull at Keesler I applied at the same time for both membership and one of their sweet 2% rewards credit cards. Hope I get it. Even if I lose out on the CD at least that way I would have something to show for my application efforts.

Like you shinobi, I live in the country. I go into town often & I just make a trip to get that notary done. Funny thing, they sent this form for the notary & the only thing I had for him to look at was the American Cancer form. Hope that was ok.

I decided to send a check for the Jumbo CD, copy of ID, $10 check for American Cancer form. If that doesnā€™t get me inā€¦to badā€¦ :relaxed:

pattyb53 several things:

You should have received the notary form, which apparently you did, together with a two page membership application form and a one page wire form if you indicated when you did the online application that you would be sending/receiving wired funds. Otherwise just the membership application.

Both the membership application form and the wire/funds transfer agreement form, if any, must be signed in the presence of a notary.

As mentioned up thread, before going forward at Keesler I reviewed hundreds of comments on Kenā€™s thread from last year when they had their big blowout 5% 7 month CD deal. Here is a link to that posting over on Kenā€™s website, which is not so easy now to locate:

Link to old Keesler 5% deal on Kenā€™s website

There are 421 comments on that posting because, as you might imagine, a lot of people much smarter than me signed up for that deal last year, back when I should have been doing the same thing. I reviewed all the comments, not all of which are on topic. But many of the comments relate to becoming a Keesler member.

Now, as back then, there is a high level of incompetence among some of the Keesler reps. When I called I got a REAL corker and had to work very hard to control my frustration. Finally was able to be transferred to a group leader. Even the group leader was not up to speed on all the rules!

So as you go forward with becoming a Keesler member be prepared to do your homework and have an ample supply of patience at the ready. It could be a tough slough.

Unbelievable!! I read those notes & ā€œdo we want Keeslerā€?

As I said before, the notary part might turn out to be a problem. I didnā€™t receive the 2 page membership form. Since I canā€™t scan, the first rep sent me the American Cancer form to fill out & mail back.
The next day I received the Kessler call from a different rep who e-mailed all the instructions. Supposedly everything that I needed to do. I followed those instructions!

Now in the mail & probably wonā€™t get there until Mon or Tues, maybe not until Wed. The 2 page membership is in their hands but not signed. :disappointed_relieved: But the last gal asked me all those extra questions. So guess there is nothing I can do but wait. The offer may end on Wed (right).

Iā€™m wondering why I didnā€™t go for Keesler deal when they offered the first 5%. Maybe I was out of town & didnā€™t hear until to late. But what about you?

Yes and no. The CD, as a type, will endure past Wednesday and likely a while into the future. They appear to like the structure of that CD type, which of course is very favorable to the credit union because it tends to lock in the member CD purchaser.

Problem is the rate on that 30 month could take a hit on Wednesday. That is my concern/worry.

Well, since you asked, it was because I was an old idiot (and still am). Without doing timely the proper due diligence, when that 5% deal was announced by Ken I just somehow got it into my head that Keesler was a fly-by-night operation. Later I looked into them and realized, too late, what a fool I had been. Keesler is worth joining whether or not I get the current great CD. Iā€™m not going to make the same error twice.

I try to be aware of stuff. But to be honest with you, pattyb53, I had never heard of Keesler Air Force Base. The name ā€œKeeslerā€ meant nothing to me when I first ran across it on Kenā€™s website. You live and learn.

Now back to the deal:

After reading your post I am less certain of my own, the one I wrote earlier today. The Keesler reps are unreliable. I could, just as easily as yourself, have drawn the short straw. We both will have to wait and see. Some things will be known only in the fullness of time. I am prepared to lose this deal. If I somehow eventually can gain entry into Keesler FCU I will count the experience, regardless, as a success.

The thing we both need is a member number. If they would issue member numbers and let all the paperwork catch up it would be wonderful and we would be able to fund our accounts. But that is simply not how Keesler operates. So we wait.

I looked back at those old 400+ comments on Keesler. The thing that caught my eye was early on, when someone said he become a member by phone. Gaining membership by phone is so tedious, but at least you have the chance to ask questions as you proceed.

Actually when Keesler receives my mail, if they accept my application without signature, I may be in. The signature paper is signed by me & Notary. The forms the rep asked for were all included. The thing I donā€™t have is a member #.

I included an Alliant CU Jumbo check (with a note that it was for the 30mo Jumbo CD 3.21%). Plus everything else they requested. ID copy, American Cancer form +$10, Notary signed form.

We will see. Weekend puts a damper on everything. Alliant ck money wonā€™t be there until Tues. (drained Grow)

Sadly, the way things are unfolding out there, even at 3.25% APY the deal is not horrible and I believe NFCU will continue to receive some takers for that CD. Anything over 3% is gravy and five years right now is not all that onerous.

3.5%, 3.25% . . . 3.whatever% . . . . all quite distant from the negative interest rates being discussed today!!