CD Discussion Thread

Just an aside today…

Yesterday in my small town newspaper was a headline picture, “50 years ago, level 5 Hurricane”. As I read on, a hometown man was there as a 19 year Air Force mechanic. Keesler Air Force base in Biloxi, MS. It caught my eye because the day before, I had just mailed my stuff to Keesler FCU in Biloxi, MS.

Of course the rest of the article was very interesting. There have only been 3 level 5 hurricanes to hit land in the USA. on & on. :sleeping:

1 Like

Acknowledged

The thing, from a CD standpoint, is that these air force base credit unions seem to offer us great CD deals from time to time. It really pays to be a member. Cases in point:

Andrews
Keesler
Hanscom
Dover

. . . and there may be others which are not front of mind for me at this moment.

I’m already a member at Andrews and Dover. Am working on Keesler.

Curiosity made me check out Dover FCU. Like you I also belong to the other 3.
Nothing of interest at Dover right now. Closest was 5yr 2.9% (something like that)

So just waiting on Keesler…

Bit of a morning update here written prior to 7:00AM ET Monday:

1. As widely anticipated, NFCU has dropped their five year CD down to 3.25% APY. Still not a bad rate of interest at all. NFCU always changes their interest rates, any time there is a change, immediately after midnight. You can go to their website at 12:01AM any day and learn what the CD interest rates will be for that day.

2. The GTE APY on their jumbo add-on CD continues to show at 3.3%. I do not know at what time of day the GTE website is modified when interest rates change.

3. The Keesler 30 month jumbo CD continues to be at 3.21% APY at this hour. This rate is not anticipated to be updated, if at all, until Wednesday. Bear in mind that Keesler operates on Central Time.

Ken

Finding no CDs on Ken’s website this morning save for a bunch of cats and dogs, in other words, junque.

Uh, oh. Word on the street saying rate change at GTE will happen this coming Friday, 8/23.

If you want “in” at 3.3% better move fast. You still can lock in the 3.3% for 30 days provided you open your CD account, without funding, prior to any rate change.

Q: Shin, do you have the new rate?

I do not.

1 Like

Pursuant to the above:

Just off telephone with GTE. Confirmed rumor. Yeah, rate will fall.

My call to them was to be certain my deal was still solid despite lower APY ahead. It is. I am locked in, the interest rate is locked, for 30 days from when I first opened my new CD account. And I am content; will be sending funding soon.

But for anyone else this 30 day thing is SUCH a screaming no-brainer. You can open the account this week prior to Friday, not fund it, and they will lock that 3.3% APY and the add-on feature.

You have the privilege of funding the account within 30 days, but NOT the obligation to do so. I mean, that has to be the best CD deal in the USA right now!!! . . . . . . . provided you act before Friday.

1 Like

Was this ever mentioned here? How did we miss this? Up until now for at least the last 2 weeks PSECU had 48month and 60 month cd’s that were addon’s with competitive rates.

From Deposit Account:
Two weeks ago, I wrote about PSECU’s competitive long-term CDs, which offered an add-on component. While the rates for the 48-month CD (2.75%) and 60-month CD (3.00% APY) are still in effect, the add-on feature is no longer available.

I found it buried in my email (I get emails from his blog) and it had a $500 starter requirement so would have been a no brainer. grrr

There is a reason I did not post this: I generally do not post local-only or regional-only deals. Participants here are from all around the USA.

A careful reading of one of the comments on Ken’s site indicates this deal only works for people living in Pennsylvania. The comment says the organization Ken indicates you can join in order to gain entry can only be joined if you live in Pennsylvania.

Of course that commenter could be in error. I have not investigated further in order to find out for myself.

In addition:

The nature of the add-on with PSECU is squirrely. It’s not at all akin to, for example, GTE. There are conditions and requirements.

For anyone wanting a great add-on I continue to recommend and tout GTE . . . . . . until the end of this week . . . . . well, until the end of the day Thursday, I guess. Whatever, time is growing very short to lock in that great rate and those most generous add-on terms.

Note:

For anyone able to gain entry, take a look at the three year CD at PSECU which is at 3.25% APY. It’s a good rate on a three year. But it’s not an add-on and you have to be able first to gain entry into the credit union . . . which could be difficult.:wink:

ETA

Update

Now seeing for first time Ken’s current blog post on PSECU. Ken, to his credit, now admits this CU is open only to Pennsylvania residents as a practical matter.

Apparently there IS a way for non-Pennsylvanians to get in, however it is VERY, VERY expensive to do so . . . . like more than a hundred bucks! You can find reference to this path here:

Linky

Please note I have not investigated any of this personally.

Discover 12-month now at 2.40%.

1 Like

Credit for this to turtlebug:

Back on June 6 turtlebug posted a deal at Hughes FCU in Tucson. Here is a link to turtlebug’s post:

Link to turtlebug’s original post

Q: Uh, shin, is this not a dreaded REPOST!!!:grimacing::grimacing:

Yes, it is. I’m reposting turtlebug’s deal because it remains available even now, with rates descending like crazy.

It is a better deal today than it was back when turtlebug originally posted it!

I was on telephone this morning with GTE regarding another matter entirely, something 100% unrelated. However I did inquire out of curiosity about their soon-to-die 3.3% jumbo add-on CD.

They are inundated with response from all across America on the 3.3% gift horse. New memberships are coming in like crazy. Rep also mentioned there is vigorous interest, too, on the non-jumbo version of this five year CD, which of course also is an add on. You can purchase the non-jumbo version with a rewards credit card up to $5000, thereby boosting your APY a small bit.

Rep said they are counting the hours until Friday and some relief from the onslaught.

Q: Shin, are you in?

Of course I’m in! I’m not crazy. Still trying to bring together the hundred grand, though. That is a lot of dough. Expect to have it before my thirty days expires.

Keesler update

Keesler is on central time. It is still a little early there. However:

At this hour the Keesler CD rates appear to have held, 3.21% APY on the jumbo and 3.10% APY on the non-jumbo. Both are good rates for a thirty month CD.

If the Keesler rates have indeed held, they should be available for another whole week, until next Wednesday, 8/28. Keesler rates change on Wednesday.

1 Like

Yes, good rate is still listed. I’m waiting for a response from my stuff mailed last Friday. As long as the rate is holding I’m not going to rush by calling a rep. Maybe later today I will hear from Keesler.

In cases where you’re trying to bring enough money to qualify for a jumbo CD like GTE’s, do you also open a non-jumbo version to at least secure a 3% rate in case you could not make the $100k limit on time?

1 Like

That would be a personal decision in my view.

In my case, because the buy-in for the non jumbo was/is so minimal, I already happen to have bought the non jumbo CD several months ago. I did not foresee, at that time, need for the jumbo. Things have changed.

ETA

OK, sorry. I did not read your inquiry with sufficient care. The answer is YES, without question. The buy-in for the non jumbo is so minimal it becomes a “must have” if you are uncertain about ability to fund the jumbo within thirty days. At least, at the end of that time, you would have placed a floor beneath your future CD returns. With talk of negative interest rates, only God knows how low rates might go! The non-jumbo would be your insurance. And a 3% APY is certainly not horrible at all.

Pay for your non-jumbo with a rewards credit card and you will make a little extra money.

2 Likes

Thursday pm, I did go ahead & e-mail my rep to see if a letter had arrived from me. Got a response, “as of today, no mail has arrived”. California to Biloxi, MS.!! Tomorrow it will be 7 days for delivery of 1st class mail. That’s unbelievable!! :worried:

Next time, I will go next day delivery. Cost me more, but I can’t stand waiting for something. Meanwhile my jumbo funds are on hold at Alliant CU checking acct. Gaining little % interest.

A very important post over on Ken’s website several hours ago. I am writing this assuming the poster over there is correct. You will need to check on that for yourself.

Poster is saying ANYONE may join PSECU. That is a really big deal, given PSECU has that great 3.25% three year CD ongoing. It compares favorably with Keesler in that:

1. The interest rate is slightly higher
  2. The lock in is longer (36 months vs. only 30 months)
  3. The entry price is only $500 vs. $100,000 at Keesler
  4. Interest is paid conventionally, not on a special scale which tends to lock you in.

The entire problem at PSECU, prior, was entry. Now this poster is claiming he/she did it as an out of state person.

One wrinkle:

PSECU rates change, if at all, on Monday morning. So be aware of that.

But this is a GREAT deal, provided that poster is correct, for persons seeking to diversify maturities, to diversify among a larger number of financial institutions, or for those who might not have big money to invest right now.

If that poster is correct, and if anyone actually can gain entry into PSECU, it is a big deal.

ETA

OOPS!! I neglected to post the link. Sorry. Here it is:

Click this link for more information

Just as an addendum to the above post, I am noting Ken continues in his write up to claim only Pennsylvania residents can join PSECU. Be reminded:

Back when Ken wrote up the great Grow Financial 2.75% MM Promo deal, his write up claimed only Florida residents were eligible.

Ken was wrong!!!

I do not live in Florida. I called Grow and got that great deal.

So now, here again, Ken could be seriously in error. My suggestion if you need a wonderful deal at three years, or even their good two year CD deal, is to TELEPHONE PSECU and discuss the matter with them. You have nothing to lose.

Be aware everyone, it is a hard pull to join PSECU.

1 Like

How do u open the cd without funding but with rate guarantee at gte?