CD Discussion Thread

Select that you are mailing a check. They’ll open the account with a $0 balance, in anticipation of receiving that check.

Plus, it’s an add-on CD, so you only need to fund with the minimum amount now, to be able to add the maximum amount later.

I saw 3 options
Fund fom gte accnt, external accnt, or cc
Was the check option n that page or elsewhere? Tia

Any good cd rates at usps fcu now?`

Sorry, it may not be there to select, if you are already a member just call and open it over the phone (and if you aren’t, join online, then mention the CD when the rep calls to finalize your membership).

But to be fair, with them being so busy and with a pending rate decrease, there’s no guarantee they’ll continue to hold that 30 day window open while waiting for the check. What’s standard procedure with steady/riding rates may not be with falling rates.

Is grow promo liqid stillavail? Would u pls decribe what it is or post link? Tia

Yes, Argyll, so true, well known prior, but not the issue.

Sticking point prior was that (supposedly) only Pennsylvanians could join for $10!!! This was all ventilated days ago, up thread, immediately after famewolf’s earlier post.

It is just before 7:00 AM ET on Friday.

At this hour the GTE 5 year add-on rates are holding, both for the jumbo CD and for the non-jumbo CD.

Q: Huh? Thought yesterday was the last day!

Yeah, me too. Maybe in Tampa they do not get around to this stuff until lunch! :rofl:

I dunno how much longer that old rate will be showing. I am merely your humble reporter, telling you what I am seeing. It could change at ANY time.

ETA later

They finally awakened in Tampa. The new GTE CD rates are posted.

In short, stick a fork:

It’s a “Rate-tastrophe”

I applied for membership this morning. Just e-mailed my photo ID with rep on phone. He said he would get back to me today. Argyll. I think you are correct! :relaxed:

1 Like

Just a shame we didn’t have this confirmed membership info when they had the 48 and 60 month cd’s as addon’s.

Hmm can you increase the FREQUENCY of automated transfers?

$500 a month to $500 biweekly works if they allow that.

I’m in with PSECU now with acct #, logged in & ready to go. To bad it’s Friday & to late to get ACH transfers going with small deposits.

All completed in 1 day. It did take working with 2 different reps to get all the kinks out. There are a few secret items that would have made getting the membership opened easily, if I had known ahead of time. You guys that are so smart you will probably get in the first try. :roll_eyes:

shinobi, I’m really disappointed with Keesler. It’s been exactly 1 week since I snail mailed all my stuff to complete my membership. As of today, nothing. I talked to a rep yesterday & no mail received from me. I know the address was correct.

Now that I have the PSECU acct, I’m ready to fold on Keesler. Problem is I mailed an Alliant check for them to open that special of theirs. So they have my check & I have no acct. :disappointed_relieved:

Did you get your membership with Keesler?

Why not just tell others the tricks you learned vs teasing everyone?

It appears I got in just in time. For some reason, I thought today was the last day and decided to do a 24 and 30 month add-on of the non-jumbo variety. Now I have every flavor from 2 to 5 years, which is a pretty good ladder.

Looking at their rate page, it looks like they eliminated all their add-ons, with their top rate plummeting to 2.32% for a 5 year regular CD.

Not yet. But make no mistake: it’s on me not on them. They have been fine to work with.

My suggestion to you, pattyb53, is as follows:

Get up early Monday morning. Either check online or telephone PSECU as early as you can. Learn whether or not they have maintained that 3 year CD at the special rate of 3.25% APY. Remember, PSECU rates run Monday through Sunday, BUT they can change at ANY time.

If the rate has held you can consider going with PSECU. If not, Keesler is your only option. If you end up with PSECU you probably will have to pay a fee to stop the check you sent to Keesler. This unless somebody there can get eyes on the check and can assure you they are returning it to you.

I just checked again, for about the third time, over at Ken’s website regarding PSECU. He continues to assert:

Easy membership requirement for Pennsylvania residents.

I find that accurate but wholly inadequate and easily misleading. I am disappointed with Ken’s focus on local/regional deals. Then when he finally posts a great widely available deal, he does not make that fact AT ALL clear!! This hurts a lot of people, in this instance everyone who does not happen to live in Pennsylvania.

Boo hiss

Yes, the gal I’m working with at Keesler is nice. I wrote her today, wondering how p.o. mail service could be so slow. She wrote me back saying… I can assure you the mail is picked up daily at the p.o. box. The mail is then sent out to our processing plant, which can take 24-48 hours for her to receive mail. With USPS sometimes delays of 5-7 business days.

So yes, I’m angry about this situation. Never again… So all my documents are probably sitting at the processing plant. I will call early Monday, just hoping whatever that my rep will honor the rate.

As far as PSECU goes, I’m looking forward to their rate & hoping it last for another week or so. I have that USAlliance CD that matures 8/28. It could work out perfect if the rate holds out.

I am posting here to support and confirm Argyll’s post on this subject, and also in response to famewolf:

The so-called “add-on” feature at PSECU is special, highly unconventional, and is unlike any other add-on I have encountered over the years. A PSECU add-on CD is not like, for example, a GTE Financial add-on CD.

A PSECU add-on CD might work for you, or it might not. Study the terms carefully before you jump to any conclusions.

Are you trying to join PSECU? Joining the Penn Rec & Park Society (easy membership)… Do not check off when you first see it listed. Mark NO on all questions until later when they offer it on the app, then mark YES. Membership is $20, they cover $10. So I paid $15, $5 for savings.

The rep had me cancel the first membership app & start over. The second time was quick & easy.

I figure it can’t hurt to get the membership even if I don’t need a cd from them yet.

1 Like