Individual Stock Discussions

I need to put money somewhere but everything getting frothy

Bought some ADMS at 26.65 based on this research report.

First foray into biotech. Hope it goes well…

GSK might be a good entry point. There new shingles vaccine will dominate the market, only question is how much profit can they get from it?

Those guys are known more for their short selling research than their longs, but good luck. Still, up 5-10% on the day must be nice for them given their 6% / $30M position. For the people who bought earlier today at higher prices, not so much at least so far.

Way to much. I was in it heavily in 2015 and got out at the top. I have been buying when it makes massive dips, but that hasn’t worked out so well for me. My calls for earning were obviously worthless now, but the other 1000 shares hurt quite a bit too. If they can turn the international market OR get in the shoe business than I think it is a buy here. However institutions seem to have lost all faith in Plank to turn it around.

Buy to Open 10 Contracts UA Jan 17 2020 10 Calls Limit at $3.70 (Day) Filled at $3.70

I will get some leaps and then not mess with UA for a while.

Neither Sprint or T-mobile has officially confirmed the deal is dead. It’s Softbank trying to get more leverage in the negotiation. But it has kind of backfired and Sprint shares are now trading below $6.50. Maya Son is not thinking straight if he thinks he can find another buyer for Sprint’s heavy debt.

1 Like

Bought 2x AAPL Puts, 165 strike, 11/10 exp. $2.90.

AAPL way up after hours. Looks like I was way wrong this week on AAPL.

Damn I wanted to buy apple cheap. FCK just keeps going up

Wow, I wasnt even paying attention that earnings were today. $10K gain today pushed me past $500K NW* for first time.

*another $15 K needed if I subtract 10% from house value. And I guess I haven’t accounted for tax bill either. And I left off subtracting my CC 0% loans. I like to over think things and ruin them…

My Apple stock is now also worth more than I paid for my house (also for the first time today)

3 Likes

Congrats. That is a nice milestone.

You can always enjoy those few seconds while you are trying to find the thunderhead in the silver lining.

I’m surprised that iphone sales for the quarter were basically flat YoY. I would guess that some of the “Other” category growth is iphone accessories (airpods), but how much exactly… And whether people bought airpods rather than extra $$$ for higher storage in iphones. It’s good to see iphone % of revenue slowly tick lower (55% is still huge), although again I think some is fabricated by the new expensive iphone accessories.

1 Like

No doubt the other category was spurred by growth in AirPods and other accessories (cases, sleeves which apple keeps releasing more and more of), but also the watch! I’ve seen so many more apple watches on people’s wrists just in the last couple of months — the product seems to have reached a tipping point at least for the 18-24 year old demographic.

1 Like

I remember posting my first millionaire thread and being told congratulations but you really should not include the Zillow value of your home. I took that to heart and stopped counting the value of my home at all, since I need to live somewhere and don’t intend to ever spend my house.

Thereafter, I hit the milestone again, this time without including the home equity.

Then I hit it again, while including the mortgage but excluding the home.

Then I hit 2 million. Now, if I exclude the mortgage and the house I am near 3 million. It is amazing how fast things grow once they get started. The first million took forever. But having a lot invested really makes it grow super fast.

3 Likes

And the first billion is the hardest too :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Billion-Hardest-Reflections-Comebacks/dp/0307396010

3 Likes

I am sure that is true. But equally sure I will never get there. IF I work until 65 I might get to 10. But I may just retire at 5 or get fired in the next 8 weeks and play it by ear!

2 Likes

My first (and last) foray into biotech caused me to lose 50% of my investment overnight. That is what helped shape my investing philosophy. If losing 50% of your stock’s value overnight is going to cause you undue anxiety, hold less of that stock. One easy way to buy a lot of stocks is to use a platform that lets you invest in fractional shares. I have been taking M1 Finance for a spin lately, and find it a great way to have a balanced portfolio of individual stocks. I picked the bunch I am interested in, set the percentage of each I wish to own (relative to one another) and every time I have some extra cash, I throw it into the pot and it buys the portfolio for me, in proportion to that allocation. If some stocks go up, it buy less of them. If others go down, it buys more of them.

Here is my current individual portfolio.

8 Likes

Yeah I used actual market value estimate (based on recent sales) not zillow. Or to be really honest, I used redfin’s estimate, but I reviewed the properties they used are actual comps. Reducing market value by 10% accounts for selling transaction/preparation/moving costs, which is how I prefer to look at “home equity” – From my view I started off with a 10% of market value immediate loss the day I purchased the property.

I think it’s valid to account for actual home equity (net of transaction costs) in NW. Yes, you have to live somewhere but it doesn’t have to be that specific house. Plus, IMO, the equity (regardless of a remaining mortgage or not) does not account for the “costs” to continue staying in the house, so just excluding the partial amount seems very arbitrary. It would be a little convoluted to compute out how much an annuity would cost to cover maintenance/utilities/property taxes to fully exclude housing from NW. Liquid NW would definitely exclude home equity.

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with including your home equity in your net worth. I choose not to do it because for my purposes, I am only interested in knowing roughly how long I can live in my actual home based on what I currently have, should I my earnings stop today. So, I don’t count the home as an asset. But, I count all of the liabilities associated with it.

1 Like