Individual Stock Discussions

I screwed up not buying QCOM at 50. I was about 45%/55% decision earlier this week.

If youā€™re going to be regretting, you might as well go back and buy DCIX.

1 Like

what caused the jump, I canā€™t weed through all the crap to figure it out. Short squeeze?

Partially but it traded something like 30x the total shares outstanding on Fri so it wasnā€™t just a few people covering. There wasnā€™t any fundemental news, certainly nothing to justify 1000% gains in two days, so this is just like the DRYS spike a year ago - some nearly worthless microcap shipper gets picked up by the daytrading crowd and taking for a ride. Itā€™s almost certain to end badly, but there no shares to short so all you can do is not buy it (fairly typical of these situations).

Sold out around $27.20 or so. Realized I have no idea nor business putting money in stocks that I really donā€™t understand.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still kind of bitter Iā€™ve avoided AMZN/NFLX for years because their valuations seemed insane to me. AAPL is my largest holding though and NVDA is not too far behind thanks to sheer luck/laziness (bought it and left it in an account I donā€™t use around 15 years ago).

I feel like I should cut down on my AAPL position, though it doesnā€™t seem like thereā€™s too much downside risk. NVDA scares me. I can see itā€™s potential, but Iā€™ll probably sell at least part of it in the near future.

1 Like

The best performing accounts are those that people have forgotten about. There is a lesson to be learned there.

3 Likes

I sold all of my AMZN for tax loss harvesting at $288, never bought back in. I think Iā€™d rather have just stayed out like you lol.

Donā€™t trade AAPL. Keep buying more when ever it goes on sale. Why? Apple users are very loyal and will most likely buy another iPhone than Android phone.

I just donā€™t understand why investors are buying ROKU. Amazon can easily crush ROKU by simply pricing Fire TV devices cheaper than ROKU. ROKU doesnā€™t have unique features beside being a low priced streamer. So once Amazon decides to squeeze out ROKU, then itā€™s all over for ROKU.

What do you guys think of buying AMZN, AAPL, GOOG at the current high prices?

I think that if you worried about their current high prices 5 years ago you would never have purchased. The winning companies are usually going to be at a high price or near a high price. You wouldnā€™t want to own them otherwise. Open up an account somewhere that lets you buy fractional shares, like at M1 Finance, and just add them to a basket of stocks that are priced too high to buy easily, like BRK.b!

4 Likes

What do you guys thing about RRD and QUAD.

This thread is dying so I will put in a trade I just made:

Buy to Open 2 Contracts GOOGL Dec 08 2017 1,000 Calls Filled at $39.00

basically borrowed $200,000 for 10 days for $350.

1 Like

F doing nicely for the day. Got within $0.05 off of the 52week high ( the div-adjusted high, anyways).

Most of the insurance I paid for by swapping to some higher strike calls a month ago is now almost worthless. I guess thatā€™s a good thing.

Taxable account up 57% YTD. 1 day and 1 month left in 2017.

If aapl/goog fall tomorrow again, I might follow you into that trade (or similar), umcsom. Aapl and goog options are the only options I have not lost money on, actually not a single losing option trade on them.

1 Like

Thinking about shorting TSLA, or maybe $250 puts for next year. Havenā€™t pulled the trigger, but I donā€™t think they can deliver cars in scale with the assets they have. Hype in scale, no problemā€¦ sometimes thatā€™s enough.

2 Likes

The only reason I would be hesitant to put much money in this is if their solar shingles are a hit. I can see these being a big item. I think it will overshadow their cars soon.

1 Like

Anyone following HIMX? I have trouble deciding when to exit an overperforming stock.

Iā€™ve got 2.1k shares with ~$6 basis and also 350 shares with $9.30 basis (That were 300 shares I sold at $11.50 and then reinvested the funds with pullback a week later). I used to have an even 3k shares so I had sold down 30% at one point

The now P/E of 60-120 scares me.

1 Like

Same, but for me with avoiding Google and tesla. Aapl is a large chunk of my NW as well. I did sell most of it at one point, though. And I have 10% less shares than I did immediately after the stock split.

Boo everything recovered from yesterday. Would have been nice for 2 ugly red days in tech.