Tesla Model 3: Pre-order to Ownership Discussion

WAYMO (Alphabet) to add 20,000 all-electric driverless Jaguar I-Pace SUVs [which I posted about upthread^] to their fleet as premium self-driving taxis. Huge move for Jag.

The question that occurs to me is as follows:

For persons who have reserved a car through payment up front of a significant amount of money . . . is there some sort of mechanism in place which guarantees return of your payment should Tesla become unable, for whatever reason, to fulfill your order?

Or is the money forfeit at that juncture?

Guarantee? Not really. It’s refundable but you would be an unsecured creditor in BK. And any kind of large scale failure to deliver model 3s would result in BK so…

Tesla has played very loose with deposits and now accts payable. Cash is king.

1 Like

A Tesla just killed its owner. Perhaps Tesla should be renamed to “Cyberdyne Systems” :grinning:

A better, more appropriate, name for Tesla?

Here is a link:

Tesla can kill. Be careful out there.

Should the Model X be called Model HK instead?:rofl:

Gotta love the comparisons to DeLorean.

Dude, I am not you and have a limited transporation for a daily commute. Like I mentioned before, I care more about $7,500 credit than getting it this month or later. But I will be happy to bet you $100 Amazon gift card that I will get a notice to configure by end of May of 2018. Either take this challenge or stop posting when my delivery is going to take place. You have less patience than me and it’s not even your car.

Gotta love people who believe everything media tells them. No, Tesla is not going bankrupt anytime soon. But there are mentally challenged people who believes everything media exaggerates to make news out of nothing.

What does your commute and my commute have to do with anything? I think I said it back in the old FWF thread, you (and everyone else) getting a $7,500 credit for a fancy car is why this whole EV thing pisses me off. If your new car purchases wasn’t being especially subsidized, I wouldn’t care that much.

“Notice to configure?” What about delivery? You really love moving those goal posts don’t you. I will bet you a $100 Amazon gift card that you will not have your Tesla Model 3 in your driveway on May 31. Either take this challenge or… don’t. Whatever, it doesn’t matter.

I’m not impatient about when you will get your car. I’m impatient about when you will admit that you’re a Tesla fanboy who believes Tesla can do no wrong and that’s why you don’t mind that you’ve been jerked around for the past year. Admit that, and I’ll stop trying to rub it in when Tesla bad news comes out. And I won’t even say I told you so when you get your car in November.

You mean like this?:

There is nothing so exhilarating as being shot at and missed.

Now that there is what I call “driving excitement”! :rofl:

1 Like

The auto-pilot feature is dangerous and it’s not just Tesla’s problem. Another brand just started to market a similar thing.

I trust fully-autonomous cars like Google’s self-driving car more since they got much more sensors. “Auto-Pilot” is dangerous because the limited amount of sensor and will fail to see fading lines, temporary drawn construction zone lines, floggers, and guy changing his tire on narrow shoulder.

I just don’t get the rush into this line of technology, beside the cool factor, where’s the demand?

Surely not from me, I can tell you that. I think the entire thing is nutso . . totally crazy.

Anyone relying on that “technology” is a danger to himself and to others.

JMHO, of course. But I’m right.:wink:

ETA

I am glad the second guy did not end up dead like the first guy did. But it obviously was a really close call.

Because there are not fatal accidents with fully human controlled cars ever.

I for one welcome our automatic driving overlords. Put me in the back seat and surround me with airbags. Whatever comes I’ll be sleeping through it anyway.

3 Likes

Tesla is pretty much dead last when it comes to autonomous car tech. The fact that they call it auto-pilot is laughable.

Agree there. Not just laughable it is a downright stupid name that I think encourages bad behaviour.

Laughable? Name one auto manufacturer that has a better autonomous feature incorporated in their current model? So how many Tesla have you owned to make a bold comment. Or are you just repeating what you’ve read from media?

[quote=“meed18, post:209, topic:270, full:true”]

Hey Meed, I accept your bet proposal. But I am going to do a fair play. I got my invitation to configure my Model 3 yesterday. I am pretty confident that I will get my Model 3 delivered by May 31st. But if you are still in a doubt Tesla’s ability to deliver, then I don’t mind taking $100 Amazon GC from you.

Has anyone else received an email to configure Model 3? Now I have decide exterior color…blue or white? Tough choice

Obviously not me but I know someone who just took delivery. They configured 2 weeks earlier. They went blue, looks pretty nice. They complained tho that they felt overcharged but didn’t want to miss out on the car.

Not making any claims, but in their TV commercials, Cadillac is saying their new ‘Super Cruise’ is “the world’s first true hands-free driving system”.

That must be the one I’m thinking of, Cadillac. I’m totally against it at this point, way too many things can go wrong but I guess the pressure from marketing is overruling the engineers once again.

2 Likes