Alliant Credit Union

The government suspended the rule, but it was left as a choice by institutions. As of now there’s no withdrawal limit at Alliant.

I suspect if a whole lot of people started doing way over 6 withdrawals per month they might return to it.

A reason to keep funds in checking is if you use a debit card or checks.

1 Like

I posted that thirty days ago. It has been hiding here ever since . . . . . in plain sight. :grinning:

I messaged Alliant asking for a full or partial refund of the annual fee on the Signature Visa card that I was charged ($99) in May now that it has no annual fee. Unfortunately, they would not give me anything. They just listed the new terms and conditions of the card.

2 Likes

Get a second opinion.

2 Likes

also some credit card institutions requires checking acct. for payment for some reason

No rate change (0.25% checking/0.55% savings), for the record.

3 Likes

I may have told you all about my being on probation with Alliant for an error I made in August. It involved an ACH of funds into an out of my account. Definitely my mistake!

Well I thought since I had been a member for close to 20 years that it would be ignored. But I soon decided to move some funds at Alliant. Lo & behold, I was limited to an ACH of $250 per day. I needed to move $500, and it took 2 days.

So my anger began to grow. This morning I called to find out how long until I could do a regular transfer. I was told that they would remove the probation February 2022. Not going to happen!! I’ll take my money somewhere else.

The nice Agent told me to hold on, he would talk to a Supervisor. Finally he returned and said that they would return my status. So I guess Alliant CU will take a chance on me.

He said “have a nice day”. Once in a while it pays to complain loudly. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It is October.

Alliant has held constant both our savings and checking interest rates.

There is no change for October.

4 Likes

Agreed

I can report the following anomaly just encountered a couple of minutes ago:

I disbursed money out of my Alliant checking heading, owing to ACH initiated at Alliant, to Keesler.

The money arrived at Keesler same day and was credited to my Keesler account straightaway.

The money shows, on my Alliant transfer page history of past transfers, as having been disbursed timely, in accord with my instructions.

The money, according to my Alliant online checking account history, shows as remaining in my Alliant checking! The latter some twelve hours after supposedly having been sent to Keesler and actually arriving at Keesler!

Want an explanation? I have none, other than the explanation you already provided, above.

I have noticed similar delays with money being applied to an alliant credit card but still showing in my checking account. I also noticed some changes in billpay (again for an alliant CC). I wonder if they made some back-end changes that are creating some delays.

My ACH transfer of funds into Alliant did arrive today. It’s a sorry situation when when having to wait an extra day for transfers. (I don’t know how @shinobi gets those same day ACH transfers)

I got my Alliant Bill Pay completed today. (and those seem to be taking more days to post also)

Alliant CU complaints keep piling up. :blush:

1 Like

The checking account debit failure, as reported above in response to @zzz, is ongoing at this late afternoon next day hour. This despite:

I telephoned Alliant this morning, early, to report this failure. Rep checked with the back office and came back saying “not a big deal”, the “money will be debited by this afternoon”, and not to worry.

Right

It is a big deal, and a worry, for me . . . . and it is not anything I ever have encountered prior after countless similar transactions at Alliant over many, many years!!

Alliant is FUBAR. Something there is seriously amiss.

ETA

They finally debited my checking, over 24 hours late, with a withdrawal dated today . . . . even though it happened yesterday.

2 Likes

Data point

A first for me as I triggered a fraud alert on my Alliant Visa Signature card. They did handle it smoothly. I received an email and was able to let them know, through that, the charge was mine and was legitimate.

Thereafter, when I again sought to put the charge through, it went through without incident. This was entirely an online transaction, one related to my side hustle.

It will be interesting to see where this goes . . . if there is any additional fallout. Hope not. But as I wrote above, this is a first for me after many years of using the card without incident. So am in unexplored territory at this time. I will not be making a (large) payment on this card until the eighth of next month. Until then I have an interest-free loan of the money, which of course is the goal of this exercise. But Alliant might not like it.

I didn’t post this before this morning because I didn’t think anyone would care. But in light of events, I’m posting it now:

Alliant held our savings rate. The savings APY remains 0.55% for November.

I have looked around. Alliant savings is now, or soon will be, in the running as a go-to, no BS, liquid account.

To light up that “no BS” aspect just a bit:

1. No harsh minimum balance
  2. No FINTECH crap
  3. No need to play silly RCA games
  4. Uncapped

Observation:

Upon reflection I’m guessing a key element of HIMMA Plus demise was use of the (uncapped) account as a CD substitute.

If this same thing happens with Alliant savings there is a real possibility the 0.55% APY they have held so long could tumble.

1 Like

CIBC is a decent alternative if you don’t want to go with Alliant. They meet your 4 qualifications above, but their rate is 0.52% instead of 0.55%. One potential perk - their ACH limits are significantly higher than Alliant’s ($125k in and out per day, $250k monthly limit).

I’ve used them for about 1.5 years and have had no issues.

I have another bank account that is a fair comparison to Alliant.

TIAA Bank savings.50%. ACH $250k in, $50k out. TIAA puts a hold of 4 days on incoming funds. (Not good)

I have both accounts, considering Alliant doesn’t put a hold on incoming funds. ACH $100k in, $25k out. Savings .55%.

All information is needed… :blush:

1 Like

There are still some other liquid or semi-liquid accounts available that pay a bit more:

Community Wide FCU - 0.80%, not completely liquid but essentially locked in for 3 months at a time like a short term CD - https://comwide.com/save-and-spend/funds-accounts

Merchants Bank Money Market - 0.75% - Money Market - Merchants Bank of Indiana

Bank Onward - 0.65% - Bank with Bo | Bo Savings

Marcus gives you .60% with the AARP promo (good for one year). Not sure if that counts as BS. The regular rate is .50%

Does anyone know timing on the bill pay service? I had to cut a check while out of town so used the bill pay service. I use it monthly for some utilities and have never had an issue. This check has not arrived to the payee after 7 days. It looks like the checks are cut by an entity in California from what I can see on other payments.

thanks for any info or advice

I thought of your post today. You see:

I have a cousin, she is a first cousin, who is very nearly the same age as me. She has a birthday coming up on November sixteenth and I always try hard to remember her birthday.

Point is, I just mailed her birthday card even though her big day is a week away and, no, it’s not on account of the holiday Thursday. It can take a week these days for first class mail. At least I know for certain when my birthday card is going out, namely today. You don’t even know if your payment was mailed when they say, because you did not mail it personally.

Five days is the nominal delivery time for first class mail these days. But of course it can take longer. So at seven days you really don’t know what’s up. Is it the USPS, did Alliant mail later than they told you, or is your payment lost?

I don’t mind sending birthday cards via snail mail. But payments I either send personally or dispatch via electronic means. And my strong preference is for the latter.

1 Like