Alliant Credit Union

Did you have a direct deposit post to your checking account each month?

Yes. To earn the 0.25% interest on checking requires an electronic deposit, and I’ve earned that interest for Jan, Feb, and Mar.

I cannot tell you why @scripta is encountering the difficulty which has come his way regarding the 2.5% reward. I can say:

For me, for most of us, that is a $3000/year tax-free benefit and worthy of being taken seriously . . . . especially now with everything that is going on in the American economy generally. And briefly on the tax aspect, while scripta does pay his taxes on this money, many of us do not. But this is not about tax. Instead:

I want to provide you my data point on a couple of items which should make no difference . . . and I am NOT saying this stuff is determinative. This is merely my data point.

While the rules clearly make reference to average checking account balance, my own account at close of business every day (no exceptions) contains just a bit over $1000. Even intraday, my checking virtually never falls below the $1000 mark; and never interday.

I have several movements into my checking every month, via ACH, of serious coin. These are not deposits anyone would say exist merely to satisfy a requirement or rule. They are real, genuine transfers of dough into Alliant for such things as Social Security, royalties, pension and so forth . . . clearly not “manufactured” items.

Finally, right or wrong I am using Alliant as a home for a significant amount of money in my savings. I well realize that fact is nominally unrelated to obtaining the 2.5% reward with Alliant Visa Signature. Am only mentioning this as a data point. When my Alliant membership is looked upon in the overall, I am a serious member making use of a range of services Alliant offers. I am not a cherry picker . . . . and I’m certainly not alleging anyone else here is. But I do use a range of Alliant services in a serious manner.

None of the above should matter regarding the 2.5%. I realize that. But this is just my data point, not any sort of explanation for why scripta is encountering difficulty.

1 Like

I’m 100% certain that none of that matters. BTW the monthly checking statement shows the average daily balance on the monthly interest payment line item. And the terms for 2.5% do say average, not minimum. Some other banks require a minimum daily balance.

My guess is that I’ll get 2.5% for all transactions on my May statement. Else they’ll be getting a phone call.

Gonna guess this doesn’t apply to anyone here, but I saw this alert in online banking this morning:

2 Likes

LOL. Why are you still using IE?

I’m on Firefox, I’m guessing they aren’t using any js to detect IE and show the message to that group of folks.

3 Likes

You’re right, I see it now. Didn’t even notice it earlier.

This only works when said in the voices of David Alan Grier and Damon Wayons …

"What we really want is for everyone to get off of those bloated old fat, wrinkly browsers. We’ve got no control over them and we want you to get on to our FANTABULOUS APPs. Our apps are better than hot dog buns and sex. No question, apps are the best. Oh, you got questions? Well, go head …

• Oh, well no, our app may send your data to Russia, and no you can’t control to whom, or where we’re sending your data.
  • Uh, no, we won’t provide the source code to prove our app is secure.
  • Well, why would we s̶e̶l̶l̶ give your data to Google?
  • Hmm … I guess we might make money off your data.
  • Hey! You agreed to the terms when you installed the app. Don’t blame us.

Hey!! How was your experience??? We need fives. :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I think you posted in wrong thread. Only SoFi is pushing the app that hard. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Alliant five year CD has jumped to 2% APY.

2 Likes

And I hope nobody is dumb enough to fall for it. It’ll prolly be 6% by December.

Got an email:

Changes to Alliant online check deposit availability

Dear Cheap,

You’re receiving this email because you’ve used electronic check deposit through Alliant Online Banking in the last year. Effective June 30, 2022, this option to deposit checks will no longer be available. We’re confident you’ll find mobile check deposit with the Alliant app much easier. Plus, by removing this feature used by less than 1% of our members – and the cost to maintain and operate it – Alliant can better focus on the latest technology advances while giving back to our members.

Obviously, since I used this feature I will miss it but I guess it makes me a dinosaur. Don’t have the app and I am not going to either.

Plenty of other places have this feature so I this doesn’t impact me other than I am going to use Alliant even less.

2 Likes

I hear you. Sadly, I expect to see a day when banks don’t offer online banking. They’ll push everyone to their data sharing apps. Maybe Musk will open/buy a bank by then. :smile:

Yeah I use it also. I can do things so much faster on the desktop. I’m really curious what “costs” there are to maintain/operate it. Literally just don’t change it.

[quote=“Cheap, post:1383, topic:484”]
Plenty of other places have this feature
[/quote]

Please name a few.
thanks.

A fellow dinosaur.

2 Likes

Ditto. Fellow dinosaur here. This sucks. F*** the younger jackasses running Alliant who fail to understand not everyone uses, or even likes, cellular telephone technology. Course the way they waste and throw money around I suspect they never will get it. And they probably do not know anyone, like myself, who has never used a cell phone.

This really pisses me off. I rely on Alliant’s scan and deposit facility to help with my side hustle checks. However:

If memory serves (it might not) I think Ally Bank still offers this service. I surely hope so. If not I’m going to need to locate it elsewhere.

But bottom line, f*** Alliant. I will use their so-called “app” when hell freezes over!! “Apps” are ridiculous.

I didn’t even know this option existed until y’all just mentioned it. They’re using a third party for this: https://ensenta.com/. There are costs associated with maintaining it. “Literally just don’t change it” may not be an option if, for example, the third party provider introduces breaking API changes, or requires a newer network protocol (i.e., TLS 1.3), another way to sign-in (i.e., FIDO), etc.

A “smartphone” is just a computer that happens to have some “cellular telephone technology” chips in it. Most apps don’t care if it’s actually connected to the cellular network. And those chips can be disabled with “airplane mode”.

2 Likes

This is true. My objection is based more on being forced to use such a tiny screen to try to do anything. Either you cant read it or touch the right spots, or you have to zoom in to the point it’s not comprehensive to look at.

5 Likes