Alliant Credit Union

How many accounts did you have?

Since interested, originally I had The Trust Account. Later on added Personal & Spouse Accounts.

When you wrote this, I thought it meant more than 3 accounts. I’m interested in finding out what Alliant finds as grounds for canceling membership. Details would help.

How are you going to get the CD money out? Will Alliant charge EWP if you pull money out of your CD before April 10?

1 Like

Probably…but only the interest at the most…Have only had it a few months…

I think that she was describing her linked accounts.

2 Likes

“Being an unprofitable customer.”

Presumably the account you are transferring money to is paying a higher rate than Alliant. So why in the world would you wait?

Just leave a penny or a dollar in the account. They’ll still credit the interest accrued over the past week, then you can transfer that out as well.

I’m not sure if we’ve had reports of what happens to CDs when this happens. Unless there is experience to the contrary, dont be surprised if your CD stays put for the remaining term.

I had a balance on my credit card when my drop-dead date passed - and it prevented my profile from being killed until that balance was paid off. And in conjunction with that, my savings account remained open as well, since you cant be a member without a savings account. The credit card disappeared once paid off, but the savings account lingered for nearly a year after. Yes, I occasionally transferred a small amount into and out of it to verify it was still active and not displaying as a ghost account.

1 Like

Or just leave the penny or dime in the account and make them send you a check. :smile:

Tread carefully with that advice. Unless something has recently changed, I think they require a minimum daily balance of at least $100 to pay interest.

With an average daily balance of $100 or more.

Ok, leave the minimum necessary. The point was that there’s no reason to keep her money in a lower yielding account until the next interest posts.

Good question. Now that I’m thinking more clearly I do have a CD at Alliant. $100k 4.6% Maturing 2026.

In their Termination letter they never mentioned “CD’s, and how to handle”. Haven’t called yet…

1 Like

Yes, going to make that transfer right now.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the reason because anyone who deposits money is profitable for a bank. I think they are wary of multiple accounts, excessive transfers, canceling accounts, changing banks frequently, and other behavior which algorithms show as likely to be problematic. It’s sort of like insurance ratings which rely on driver behavior, types and numbers of tickets, accidents, location, and even credit history. (People with more debt are greater insurance risks – another reason to pay attention to your credit score.)

1 Like

Is this only for new or targeted members or can any alliavt member open a cd with 10,000 for a $100x2 bonus=$200?

Alliant CU called back about terminated members who possess current CD’s.

My membership closes 4/10/23. They’re closing all my accounts including CD’s and mailing me a check.

The first agent I spoke with said said that they would impose a penalty for closing the CD early. I said that I couldn’t accept that without talking to a supervisor. Later on I received a call back confirming that no penalty would be charged.

Such a shame what happened to me.
Live & learn. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

@pattyb53 so messed up. I would mess with them back and invoke Arbitration as indicated in their Account Agreement and Discolsure:

Please contact us to discuss your concerns. If we are unable to informally resolve your dispute, you agree that it shall be resolved in arbitration. You or Alliant can initiate the arbitration as described in this section.

AccountAgreementAndDisclosures.pdf (alliantcreditunion.org)

2 Likes

To many ACH transfers, (In their opinion). Everything I did was legal, always kept at least $15-25k in savings + good size CD.

Who knows!

2 Likes