Alliant Credit Union

It’s going on and off. CD paid 3rd dividend in 15 days. Is it weekly pay?

Savings raised to 3.10%.

There is a log-in problem from Google Chrome they are working on. I’ve been using Firefox.

4 Likes

Alliant 's no-fee Visa card at 2.5% rewards is a good deal with its only requirement a $1000 average balance in checking. With savings interest rates surging and the checking interest rate remaining near zero, this enables a sort of fee. A 3% difference for $1000 in savings would make $30 more than checking for the year. It’s like a minor fee when the savings rate is much higher than checking and enables Alliant to offer the card as “no-fee.” It’s been inconsequential in the past few years but as savings rates increase, it’s a way for Alliant to save or make money on the card. I pay a little more attention now and keep the checking balance very close to $1K and pay a number of bills direct from savings.

PS Still well ahead with a 2.5% card over a 2% no-fee card. With my annual spending ($30K+), it amounts to about 2.4% rewards if subtracting $30 in foregone interest.

5 Likes

Just got a letter from Alliant Cu…apparently they are throwing me out…I haven’t done anything…Have about $12,000 in checking $25,000 in Savings…I even have a $50,000 1 year CD and the credit card too…

No Reason given…it says at their last board meeting… 2/3 of the attendees decided to throw me out…I didn’t know i was so important… :laughing:

They are giving me until April 10th to clear out my funds…which i will start to do next week…
On that date my membership would be closed and any remaining money would be sent to me by mail as a check…

I am not even going to bother asking why…if that is their attitude then the heck with them…
The Credit Card was also be closed of course…And i was with them for 11 years…

They use to be very good but whoever is running the show now is really wacked out…

3 Likes

Yup, it’s that time of year again… Every spring for the past 3-4 years now.

That mysterious meeting, that no one knew was happening and no one can get any record of it having happened (besides the claims of these good-bye letters). They’re violating the law; you wont change the result but you might be able to get a nice parting gift on your way out the door…

2 Likes

The amazing part is i wasn’t even doing anything with the accounts in the way of a lot of transfers and stuff… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I received the same letter. What’s up? You say that it’s possibly illegal? I’m probably a 15+ year member with a sizable savings balance.

You mentioned a gift as we pass out the swinging door? I’m willing to try!! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Craig I do occasionally make ACH transfers. But that’s no reason for member termination.

I’m thinking that a long time member such as myself having many many old accounts that are available for ACH transfers is bothersome for Alliant CU. I have way more accounts from years of membership than most people. Occasionally I have a chance to use an old account. Of course they never allow me to add a new account.

Such a bothersome issue now. I’m going to miss this one issue and also bill pay.

2 Likes

You had your normal ach suspended for 6 months also like me… Patty (which in my case was restored end of December…probably relates to that…don’t why they took so long after that to do this…

I did some ach transfers here and there…paid a few bills and withdrew some cash at atms…nothing out of the ordinary…in the past few months…

1 Like

So true - I always worry about whether I’m next. Although with their rates being so low nowadays in comparison to so many other banks and credit unions, it’s much less of a loss than it once was. Still I am very sorry to hear this news @craig10x and @pattyb53 that you are both being shoved out the door in this manner. If it can happen to you all, it can happen to any of us.

3 Likes

I recall you posting that you had quit and rejoined Alliant several times. Alliant states: “…Account. can be closed by…as a result of it not being in good standing.” Can you inquire why you are not in good standing?

From NCUA website: "Generally, credit unions can close an account at any time and for any reason. Federal laws and regulations do not address the closing of accounts by credit unions.

Depending on the circumstances of the closure, the credit union may be required to send you a notice of adverse action explaining why your account was closed."

1 Like

Alliant shows short-term certificates: 3 months 4.85%, 6 months 5.00%. $1,000 min.

If you have savings accounts at lower than 4.85%, these seem like good options.

1 Like

Even arbitration will not produce any sort of explanation. He wont be able to get the minutes of the meeting where this vote allegedly occured, likely wont even be told the date of the meeting. They will outright ignore all questions and inquiries as to the legality. We’ve had this discussion every year for the past 2-3 years. That letter is the last communication he will receive from Alliant (besides final account statements) no matter how hard he pushes.

When closing a credit card, there is no circumstantial need - a [reasonably specific] reason must be given in all instances or it is a violation of Federal law. Also, Illinois law states that while a member can be voted out in such a manner, that member must be given the opportunity to defend themself before such a vote.

1 Like

Actually i was with them for a total of 11 years…i did close my membership about 5 years ago but then re-joined…so it is not like i kept opening and closing memberships over that period of time…
I am sure it has absolutely nothing to do with that…

1 Like

This is my main issue with it. My account, as far as I know, is in good standing with them. Last year I pushed them for the date of the annual meeting. Those written inquiries went unanswered until after the meeting was over. It’s sleazy as all hell and almost certainly illegal, but nothing will be done unless they go after a litigious member that wants to sue.

@craig10x, trust me when I say you are better off given where rates are at this former stalwart. Stick your money in one of the brokerages and roll t-bills and their money market accounts. I have found that Fidelity’s ACH pull speed has improved in the last year or so to same-day/next biz day depending on the institution, and it has a 250k limit. That’s in addition to the money market paying 4.46%, free checks, all ATM fees reimbursed, etc.

DoC has more data points and has updated their post to reflect the recent round of shutdowns: Alliant Closing Down Some Accounts - Doctor Of Credit

4 Likes

I guess its “join the crowd”. Strange that Alliant has terminated members for really no logical reason, as far as I can tell.

They stated 4/10/23 as a complete cut off date for my membership. So I’m going to wait for April1st interest payments then ACH transfer all funds into another Savings Account. Good :blush: bye Alliant CU!

1 Like

If you closed it and rejoined 5 years ago, you are a 5 year member. As I recall, you did this several times. It’s possible they also reviewed your credit history to see how many inquiries there were and how many banks you use. I’m interested in the details so I can learn to avoid such imbroglios.

1 Like

Something different can always happen. I wouldn’t start demanding minutes or arbitration with accusations of law breaking. It doesn’t show concern for your membership organization and would only confirm to them that ending your membership was a good idea. They could cite such accusations as evidence of an antagonistic counter-productive member.

I have always had positive, helpful, and respectful communications with Alliant, so it may vary person to person.

They terminated your trust’s membership I guess? I remember you saying that they had previously kicked your individual accounts out a few years ago.

1 Like

Yes, my Trust membership. What a memory!

1 Like