Alliant Credit Union

I do that - but I also pay all my bills out of the account there’s usually a few grand that they are paying 0.25% on, so perhaps that’s good enough for them.

Yikes indeed. Cant believe its that time of year again already.

Someone needs to infiltrate those “member meetings” at which the “votes” take place. I bet they’re imaginary.

3 Likes

I’m just thinking, someone’s going to get hit. Our group of members usually are on the chopping block.
I get a 1099 from Alliant for 2023 taxes, surprised me. I thought I was long gone from Alliant…

2 Likes

You membership was closed last April. Meaning your accounts were earning interest for a full quarter of the year. Of course you got a 1099.

1 Like

Of course you’re right! Time flies by fast but I thought I was ousted years ago.

1 Like

This sounds like a job for our MIA friend, @shinobi !

5 Likes

I just calculated my reward returns on 2023 Visa spending at Alliant. If I subtract a possible 5% return from the $1K in checking ($50), my rewards come to 2.375%.

I’m anticipating this year’s spending will have rewards around 2.25%.

I keep the checking balance close to $1K.

I’ve checked out 2% cards but Alliant’s 2.5% is still better.

5 Likes

You have to spend more to save more! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

It is very odd that the meetings are such a secret. I received another email today from a national credit union about their annual member meeting. Onsite or virtual, registration links. Very open and easy.

1 Like

Ugh, I just did the same, but mine for 2023 was 1.9%. Disappointing… So I plan to pickup the spending a bit. If not, I should just go back to Citi DC or Fidelity. Thanks for the prompt!

Northwest FCU has a 2% card.

1 Like

I wish they would drop the virtual option. I feel less comfortable writing off travel expenses to annual meetings when I could attend virtually. :frowning:

3 Likes

You sir are a model for us all. I would have never thought to arrange travel to these annual meetings, much less consider their tax impact.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Oh good, they’re exploring AI :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wish I could claim it was original. It was my second accountant - after my first one kept me in Hawaiian macadamia farms a year too long. :frowning: His two pieces of advice:

1. Have more than a nominal amount invested.
  2. Make sure they have their annual meetings in Europe in the summer or the Carribean/mid-Atlantic in the winter.

I have followed his advice with nary a blink from the infernal revenuers. :slight_smile:

3 Likes