Amex Offers Thread

I checked with another rep. who assured me I will be getting 3% on groceries.

Thanks for the info which helped me check again.

1 Like

Bank of the West has unlimited 3% on groceries. Citi CustomCash has grocery as an eligible 5% category, up to $500/month.

Does the transaction show you the actual reward amount for it, or did you call Amex to check how much you’re going to get?

2 Likes

The latest purchase shows 3%.

I called and chatted.

They don’t know what they’re doing at Amex. Their reps are completely full of misinformation and there’s problems with the site as well showing wrong info.

2 Likes

That’s not a surprise, and not just at Amex. I don’t bother contacting the companies unless I cannot figure it out myself or through other sources (based on actual user experience).

2 Likes

Amex already offered me an upgrade to the Preferred card with a $75 bonus for $1K spending in 3 months. That’s one week after I downgraded it.

With or without the annual fee waiver? Even with the waiver, seems a bit low.

No fee waiver.

I miss the FWF Amex massive bonus days. What’s the best Amex deal no AF these days? (i’ve maxed out on Chase, BOA)

Amex has a strange policy on credit limit increases and credit checks.

After paying off some debts and boosting my credit score a couple weeks ago, I requested a credit limit increase and was denied. I called to find out why and was unable to get a satisfactory explanation until after several calls a rep told me they did not do a new hard inquiry; they used a soft inquiry done July 21 because it was within 30 days.

While this would normally be great for customers that a hard inquiry is not done, the older inquiry did not reflect the current higher credit score after some debts had been paid off. Hence, they denied a credit increase based on the older score.

I might try again in a few weeks. At least I didn’t waste a hard inquiry.

Sounds reasonable. Don’t forget their other rules – < 3x, > 6 mo, < $25K

1 Like

I’m not familiar with those. Could you share what they stand for?

A CLI should be < 3x of the current CL.
No more than 1 CLI per 6 mo.
Don’t go above $25K CL (per card?) to reduce scrutiny with the infamous FR (old rule, not sure if still in force).

2 Likes

Thanks, Scripta.

Update: I hit the $6K limit on 6% groceries from the Preferred last month and then downgraded to the no-fee Blue Cash Everyday. It is paying 3% on groceries. I received a pro-rated refund of the Preferred annual fee of $15.13.

Last time I did this, nine months later I received an offer to upgrade with a $150 bonus and did that. There’s no hard credit inquiry when doing this.

Thanks 3c3!

If that was the same as my last offer, the first annual fee was waived in addition to the $150 bonus.

I don’t think they waived the annual fee. They’ve been tougher on that recently. I once got $20 credit because I complained about the fee. They don’t do that any more.

I just upgraded from BC to BCP. Annual fee waived first year, $150 bonus after $1k spend, and 0% interest for 12 month offer that I’d already activated carried forward. Nice!

4 Likes

New Shop Small offer, spend $15 get $5 back twice.

Also, spend $20 get $15 back on curated Black-owned brands at shopsmall.showfields.com

For some reason that just doesn’t sound right.

2 Likes