Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

Go to amazon dot com, find “Gift Cards” in the menu, then “Reload Your Balance”. You can also find “Gift Cards” under “Your Account”.

3 Likes

Sorry for bringing up Keesler again, since it’s no longer available nationally. If someone suggests its own thread, I’ll oblige, although it will probably be a very low volume thread. Anywho …

I present the following as a hopeful data point for others, should the “plus” option fade away in the near future. It presumes that my memory is not a sieve and that somewhere Keesler said the 1% bonus was for 6 months.

Has anyone actually let their Himma+ expire? My first one turned 6 months old on March 1. I waited for it to transfer to my share savings account, as were my instructions upon opening. I also monitored the rate, in case they forgot the transfer instructions. The rate finally dropped a couple of days ago, but only by 5 basis points. Thus, the bonus that I thought was for 6 months has been going for 7.

My second Himma+ account expires today, and although tempted to let both ride, I’m going to be traveling for a couple of months, so that’s not my best option. I will leave them until Monday and then must start the transfer out/in process to make them “new” deposits.

1 Like

Since you’ll need to do this monthly, you may want to print Scripta’s instructions and either put them in your calendar, your bank’s file folder, or tape to your monitor.

I’m not trying to give you grief - just speaking as someone who’s had memory problems from age and too many knocks on the head. It took me years to admit the problem and almost as many to develop strategies to semi-deal with it.

1 Like

Are you sure you are remembering correctly? It is a savings account - there is no maturity date, the 1% bonus interest simply expires but the account carries on at the normal rate.

I also wouldnt be surprised if the bonus rate is something that is added and removed manually, so their calendar might be a little off from yours.

Yes, mine expired last month. The money remained in HIMMA, no plus, the acct started drawing the lower % rate. After sometime I remembered to check. Then I followed shins instructions, remove funds, add funds back to savings. Then call & open new HIMMA+ acct.

Thanks for reminding me to save instructions for debit card procedure. :thinking:

I believe Keesler classifies it as a money market account. Although there is no maturity date, the bonus lasts for 6 months. Upon opening each account, I was asked what I wanted to do after the bonus expires - move it to a regular Himma account or to share savings. Those were their words.

Especially in light of @pattyb53’s comments, I agree.

Thank you. After seeing your response, I started the transfer out of Keesler today. That will give me a little more cushion in case anything hiccups with the transfer.

Just a side note - Amazon adds most debit card payment methods as “debit”, while a lot of rewards checking accounts require the purchase transactions be “signature” (Visa/Mastercard). If what you’re using has worked, great, but when adding a new debit card to Amazon it’s best to then edit it, and uncheck the “run as debit” option.

3 Likes

Good note. I got my Amazon acct fouled up yesterday trying to do the debit/gift card transactions. I’m locked out of Amazon now. They want me to verify the debit card, it’s a mess. They say for 36 or so many hours if acct verified they will let me in again. Is it worth it?? :thinking:

Thanks scripta. :blush:

Recommend only doing a max of 6 reloads at a time, maybe only per day. It avoids lockup’s on your amazon account.

1 Like

Send them what they ask, it’s no big deal. But then ease back into it, only a couple purchases per day for a month or two, or it could lock up again. But after a couple months of re-establishing your normal patterns, you’ll be good to go.

Hi all,
Is there any reason the first post (with the rates) has not been kept up to date?
What are people here using to find out the best rates?
I just had a very large CD come to maturity and am looking for my next stop.

Things are bleak right now. I’m confident you’re already aware of that. You can use Ken Tumin’s page easily to find the best rates.

But without an add-on CD it’s gonna be tough. And few of us think locking in a longer CD between 1% and 1.5% is a very good idea. This does raise a consideration, though not a new one:

You can do such a long lock at a poor interest rate provided your EWP (early withdrawal penalty) is a low one.

As for liquid opportunities to use as a bridge to hoped-for higher CD rates, few exist outside RCAs which typically are capped; and you are saying you have big bucks to re-invest. So you would need multiple RCAs and that is a nightmare situation. Others are also using the fintech products. I do not and would not. But if you do go fintech be damn sure the advertised FDIC or NCUA insurance is real. Otherwise you could lose your shirt.

1 Like

https://www.depositaccounts.com/cd/

Posting in case you don’t understand Shinobi’s reference to Ken.

2 Likes

Possibilities…NASA FCU. 49-month CD Special, 1.50 % min $10k. EWP 365 days.

Thank you everyone. I hate to say it but I had a Keesler membership over a year ago but I think I closed it. I got it with the American Cancer Society, but I didn’t have any other qualifications. I wonder if they would allow me to awaken my closed membership without meeting the new criteria?

good point re: fintech which seem to be the only high % rate in town these days. Similar to other tech co.s they’re making their $ elsewhere.

Any instance of advertised FDIC or NCUA insurance being fake? How do you really verify?

Probably not if you call it a closed membership. You may want to call it paused or suspended. At least that might plant a seed in the rep’s head. If you get the right rep, they may work to reactivate or un-pause your account.

It can’t hurt to try.

1 Like

Start here …
https://banks.data.fdic.gov/bankfind-suite/bankfind

1 Like