Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

i think 1c/mile? Also remember low taxes when you redeem , except on BA

They value the miles at 0.42 cents per mile for your 1099.

It’s been a good deal, but I’m flipping over to the 1.25% now.

3 Likes

Marcus is up to 0.60%

Wealthfront is up to 0.85%

2 Likes

Bask Bank 1.25% Liquid Savings looks good.

I’m going to drop out of SoFi. Thought I could manage to gain their highest %rate, but only getting.70%.

Gotta go with this new Bask Bank. Certainly easy opening. Hopefully they will last for a while. :blush:

2 Likes

with the fed/ rising rates this will be the new normal now…

Any bask referral deals? I do have a bankdirect acct and they have great CS

My question is whether it’s worth the effort to change to Bask when other banks will likely start aggressively competing in a rising rate environment. Any advice on when to pull the trigger?

2 Likes

I tore up my “Rate Chasers Anonymous” card a while back.

1 Like

For anyone who likes to play the RCA game, here’s one that’s 4% on up to 20k with a 1 year guarantee. This one is especially nice because it includes more than just debit card transactions for meeting the requirement:
Only the following are qualifying transactions: Debit card purchases, checks, bill payments, ATM withdrawals and ACH withdrawals.

High Interest Checking | Elements Financial

4 Likes

Wealthfront’s rate has been in lock-step with the FED (same %, a few days behind) since I opened my account a few years ago, which leads me to believe in 6 weeks they’ll be at 1.35%, assuming FOMC vote :arrow_double_up: 0.5% at the next meeting 6/14-15. I also think they’ll become the rate leader at that point and likely stay one for a while, because I don’t know of any other institution that follows the rate changes as closely. I’m guessing that SoFi and Bask are just trying to grow the user base, and since they offered the high % before the last FOMC meeting and took no action as a result of that meeting, there’s no way to know if they’ll take any action after the next few meetings.

1 Like

Caution: The subject of this post is an uninsured account!

The following stolen from Ken’s website. Credit for this goes to deplorable_1:

Finally a rate hike worth mentioning. GM Financial Right Notes now pays !.75%. Yep you heard it here first. Only a $500 minimum investment is required to open an account and no frustrating tier level interest rates either. Unfortunately unlike the old GMAC demand notes or Dominion Energy reliability investment this account only allows you to link one external bank account and does NOT offer 3rd party ACH bill pay or a free checkbook(A situation which hopefully will be remedied in the future hint hint ; )) It does however move quickly with FED rate hikes in my experience and that alone makes it worth consideration IMO. No it’s not FDIC insured just like all other corporate debt accounts. The processing agent is The Bank of New York Mellon unlike most of these accounts which use The Northern Trust Co. Also like all the other corporate debt accounts there is no annoying 6 withdrawal per month or small ACH transfer headaches to deal with. Here is the link for more info: Demand Notes | Investment Opportunities | Right Notes by GM Financial

The aforementioned nationally available account is liquid and is also quite high yielding. But, again, it is not insured by the FDIC or by the NCUA so it might not be the right liquid account for you.

1 Like

The Ally Bank OSA interest rate is up ten basis points to 0.60%, commencing 5/11.

I hope a rate increase that large does not kill management. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I know the federal rate hike doesn’t translate directly to them, but ten basis points when the fed went up 50? Seems like they’re pocketing a decent portion of the increase here.

Remember on the way down, each quarter-point rate cut didnt drop bank rates by a quarter percent, either.

Live Oak Bank savings 0.8% on May 11.

1 Like

Bask Bank High Interest Savings Account 1.25%.

Just opened a second account, husband is set to go. I’m convinced that this bank is going to hold on to the best liquid %rate for some time.

I’ll also admit that opening the Bask Bank was the easiest job happening. Probably took 15 minutes. One problem I see is that movement of funds is really slow. I opened the first account 5/6, deposited funds, and those $$’s are not listed as available yet. However I’m told the interest is posted.

Yes, I also closed out the SoFi account earlier this morning. So think I’m set for liquid funds for a while.

3 Likes

I opened Bask Bank on the same day. I tested their mobile check deposit and their ACH system. Both have the correct transaction dates but are still not available as of today.

But at least money pushed in from outside are available immediately.

3 Likes

Personally I’m sticking for now with Bellco Smart Move so accepting only a 1.15% APY, less than Bask Bank. I like at Bellco (what amounts to) their rate lock. The Bask Bank account does not feature a rate lock. The interest rate on your account there can decline at any time. At Bellco the rate can only increase; it cannot decrease. And that works for me.

Surprise… the deposit on 5/6 is actually showing up this evening. Bask Bank took 5 days, but maybe weekends don’t count. :blush:

3 Likes

OK, this looks to me most like a liquid account, it is a savings account, so I’m posting it here I hope correctly. The account features 6% APY for balances up to $2000.

Credit for this find goes to delorable_ 1 who posts over on Ken’s website. I am lifting these words from his post over there:

H-E-B prepaid debit card pays 6% APY on up to $2,000 in their linked savings account and .5% APY above $2,000. This is currently the best deal going for a small capped FDIC insured savings account IMO. The card acts as a quasi checking account and you transfer money into the savings from the Checking(debit card). You must make a small transaction every 90 days to avoid an inactivity fee. Similar to Netspend and Insight prepaid debit card savings accounts. The one difference is that you can actually link an external savings account right from the H-E-B website and make ACH transfers for free as well. Also it actually pays you 5% cash back on select purchases(I would not do this though as I have no idea what the fees might be for actually using the debit card. I’m interested in the savings account only. Married couples can each have their own account so 6% on $4,000. I have no idea if you can have more than one card but I will ask if I call a CSR. Not all banks play nice with these prepaid debit card accounts but Redneck/All America bank worked with Netspend and Insight prepaid debit cards. This card uses Metabank same as Netspend so I believe it should work fine.

Here is a great website with more details on this card: The H-E-B Debit Card 6% Interest Savings Account - Financial Panther

Here is the signup page: https://www.hebdebit.com/

Am I doing this deal? You bet! ; )

In his more recent, separate, post, deplorable_ 1 wrote:

Ok I just signed up last night for my first card and I already have full access to my account numbers the website and everything. It only took a few minutes super easy. The only thing I’m worried about is that I don’t have the card yet so not sure I want to link bank accounts and transfer money until I get the card in the mail. With all the other prepaid debit card savings accounts this is a big no no and it will result in a fraud alert and locked account hassles. If anyone has experience with this H-E-B card specifically please let me know if I should wait to link my bank accounts and open the savings. Thanks in advance.

H-E-B Credit Union is in Texas, but I know deplorable_ 1 lives in Michigan. Best as I’m able to determine, you do not have to join the credit union to take advantage of this deal.

As deplorable_ 1 points out, this deal is attractive principally because it offers 6% APY on up to $2000 of liquid money. Only infrequent use of the debit card feature is mandated. Obviously married participants here, or those with kids, will want to consider opening multiple accounts. I cannot provide you with any information on that aspect.

It is chilling to consider that even a 6% APY account will not come close to keeping up with inflation! But at the same time, 6% APY liquid accounts generally are not out there growing on trees and ready for harvest. So this might be something to consider.

1 Like

Those of you with Evansville Teachers FCU accounts - they are rebranding to Liberty Federal Credit Union in September.

Their FAQ cites geographic diversity as a primary driver for the change; apparently they have branch locations in Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee: https://www.libertyfcu.org/

3 Likes