Biggest Abortion Case in 29 Years at the Supreme Court

Is there any birth control that claims to be 100% effective, or that offers any sort of guarantee? The risk may be small, but it’s still a risk you choose to accept going in.

1 Like

Here’s another violent domestic extremist issuing a call to arms against the Supreme Court. Unsurprisingly they’re a democrat and in elected office, in this case having a fairly good amount of experience with violence given their city’s non-law-enforcement, so they will neither be sanctioned nor even kicked off social media.

3 Likes

But I shouldn’t have to accept this risk just to have sex. Nobody should, and nobody does. Those who can afford transportation will still get abortions in a state that allows it. And those who can’t will perpetuate the cycle of poverty.

1 Like

Why not?

we’ve accepted 100% of the risk since the beginning of civilization up until condoms became legitimately effective, so where does this claim that no one accepts the risk come from?

This is already the case without the overturning of Roe.

The nice thing about overturning Roe, if you are actually interested in alleviating poverty, is the debates that can now happen in legislatures regarding compromises that include family supports in exchange for (now legal) restrictions. If republicans are smart and democrats play their cards right, you could see some real pro-family anti-poverty spending measures come out of this. I don’t necessarily support most anti-poverty measures, seeing as how we’ve had them for 50+ years and we still have people in poverty, but if I were in a purple state legislature, I’d be willing expand medicaid in exchange/compromise for an abortion law similar to those in western europe

1 Like

If republicans are smart and democrats play their cards right, you could see some real pro-family anti-poverty spending measures come out of this.

What prevented them from doing that before?

Abortion being legal doesn’t stand in the way of pro-family anti-poverty spending from either side.

2 Likes

Because I did not grow up in a sexually repressed time or society. Sex should and can be fun, it shouldn’t require a lifetime of responsibility simply because it doesn’t have to – we have the technology.

From understanding human nature :slight_smile:. And the fact that “young adults” think with their genitals, not with their brains.

1 Like

Bargaining chips. When Roe was still the law of the land, there was only so much that could be done compromise wise.

There is nothing sexually repressive about sex producing a child. That’s what sex does.

We have the technology to drive 70 mph safely, but deadly car crashes still happen. No technology is foolproof. Why can’t you accept that the ability to have fun consequence-free sex has gone up 100 fold and that is something the silent generation AND EVERY SINGLE GENERATION BEFORE THEM never got to experience, but sometimes there are still long term consequences?

I’m referring to the fact that generally speaking, humans don’t kill their offspring (born or unborn). We’ve been accepting the risk of sex since the dawn of civilization.

Bargaining chips. When Roe was still the law of the land, there was only so much that could be done compromise wise.

So nothing prevented them.

1 Like

Correct. Nothing prevented them. But there was no incentive. Republican pro-lifers have been smeared (unfairly) for decades with the claim that they are pro-life, but not after a baby is born, no matter how much welfare spending has increased under their watch (it has increased under EVERY SINGLE ADMINISTRATION), so there was no incentive for them to increase it more without actually getting something truly pro-life (real abortion restrictions) in return. Now there is a chance for that.

Since most democrats claim they are actually against individual abortions (safe, legal rare) while being in favor of a right to abortion because of poor people “needing” it, they should be interested in compromising with republicans on legislation that will result in fewer abortions while helping those poor people not “need” abortion. Will that actually happen? It depends. Are democrats telling the truth about wanting abortion rights because of poor people, or do they actually want them for the well paid 20 something at the beginning of her career that forgot to take the pill and now has to decide between starting a family way earlier than she wanted or killing her unborn child. I think they want it just as much for the marketing associate in Charlotte as they do for the Circle-K clerk in Boone, but that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

Huh? Literally everyone [who indulges] accepts that risk every day. Unless one of you is indisputably sterile, there is no way to have sex without accepting that risk.

You shouldnt have to accept the risk of injury, or even death, every time you get in a car, but you still do. No matter how much technology we throw at it. There’s tons of things you do every day that has risks that you accept, and occasionally suffer. The only reason to think that sex is any different is because you really really want to do it yet really really dont want a baby. Pick a priority already, and live with the consequences.

And this is why pro-lifers will never accept abortions. “I just dont wanna take responsiblity” isnt a particularly moving argument, and is the epitome of self-righteous indignation…

3 Likes

I have to hand it to Manchin, he’s an extremely wily politician. Recall that his vote pushed through the nomination of Katanji Brown, who would reinstate Roe v. Wade in a heartbeat, so to speak. His vote gave cover for the rinos to vote for the nomination since their vote was meaningless.

1 Like

LOL. Bring it on, Joe Biden

It needed 60 votes to advance, but died in a 51 to 49 vote with West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin joining with all Republicans in voting no.

President Biden immediately condemned Republicans for blocking the abortion rights legislation at a time when “women’s constitutional rights are under unprecedented attack.” He called on voters to elect more Democrats in November, so the legislation can get passed next year.

“Republicans in Congress – not one of whom voted for this bill – have chosen to stand in the way of Americans’ rights to make the most personal decisions about their own bodies, families and lives,” Biden said in a statement. “To protect the right to choose, voters need to elect more pro-choice senators this November, and return a pro-choice majority to the House.”

1 Like

And this is in the Constitution where? Once again misinformation is good, since it’s pushing the correct agenda.

The most personal decision about their own bodies was to have sex. Biden seems to be outraged that the Republicans refused to let women say “Whoops, my bad” when stuck with the unwanted consequences of that decision. Half the country is wondering why babies are being denied the right to make the most personal decisions about their own bodies and lives - since, ya know, they’re the ones that end up dead.

4 Likes

The Framers clearly had abortion specifically in mind when they wrote the Tenth Amendment. :grinning: :wink:

2 Likes

In the old country there are many women who aren’t exactly having sex with their husbands as a matter of personal choice. I bring that up because the view of people who grew up in America might be a lot rosier, idealistic, than what it really is for many people with other backgrounds, including people already living here.

Just to be clear, those are quotes from Biden not from me. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

If you want to make that argument, it sounds like you are condoning rape, by wanting to fix the consequences while ignoring the cause.

If you want to use rape to justify an abortion, the first step needed is to cry rape. Otherwise there is no injustice for the abortion to remedy.

2 Likes

Although if that’s what it takes to get a (free?) local abortion under some stricter laws (say instead of traveling to some nearby state to get one), I can bet some of the same careless women who would have gotten pregnant and had an abortion before will make up a rape claim to get it. Not ideal, but you should expect to get more of what is rewarded.

2 Likes

From where in my comment did you get the crazy idea that I’m condoning rape? Very much to the contrary. I’m telling you that there are cultures in which women, including married women, can’t make the decision to say “no”. It’s sick! And they can’t run to the police and denounce rape either. Believing that those things don’t occur here (in the States) too is being unaware of reality.

In your previous comments you put the responsibility of pregnancy squarely on the woman’s decisions and choices. I’m telling you that there are women who lack the ability to make those choices.

3 Likes

This is the equivalent of my 5 year old abusing my 2 year old, and my 2 year old abusing the cat. When someone is victimized because they are smaller and weaker than than their abuser, that doesn’t make it morally acceptable for the victim to punish someone smaller and weaker than them.

1 Like