Biggest Abortion Case in 29 Years at the Supreme Court

I wonder if she inherited this buffalo had from some of her high cheek-boned ancestors. If that’s the case, they got her a job and a fine piece of millinery. Sadly, the job that they got her was not as a milliner. :frowning:

2 Likes

“Mostly peaceful” protests encouraged at the homes of the conservative Justices.

They should just release the current ruling now before someone gets killed and all this judicial intimidation ramps up. We can hope it’s only this kind.

5 Likes

Though Schumer believes this is a political slam dunk for Democrats, it presents a magnificent opportunity for Republicans to make their case.

Surely, most of the public isn’t aware of the maximalist position staked out by the establishment Left. Republicans should take the opportunity to point out that even if they were moderately pro-choice, they couldn’t possibly support Schumer’s barbaric bill, which legalizes abortion for any reason on demand until the moment of birth. They should follow that up by noting that Democrats, including the president, also want taxpayers to foot the bill for abortions, including the late-term variety.

Passing Schumer’s bill would likely translate into thousands of viable babies being dismembered for nothing more than convenience. (Well, thousands more than the approximately 10,000 already killed yearly in late-term abortions.) A floor debate would be a good time to point out that there is no bill preventing doctors from saving the life of the mother. Indeed, medical literature shows that third-trimester abortions are very rarely performed for “maternal health complications or lethal fetal anomalies discovered late in pregnancy,” as the anti-abortion Charlotte Lozier Institute reported. The pro-choice Guttmacher Institute found that a majority of women who seek late-term abortions “do not do so for reasons of fetal anomaly or life endangerment.”

3 Likes

This is plain wrong. Protest should be at the place of work. Protest should not occur at private residences. If it is a government provided house like white house, governor’s residence, etc, it is fine.

But in regard to abortion, i feel like a compromise should be struck. Making it criminal for doctor and/or women is one extreme and the other extreme is terminating pregnancy after 6 months. Both are equally horrendous.

4 Likes

And this choice is not being affected whatsoever. Women’s reproductive rights are protected by rape being, and remaining, illegal. No one can be legally forced to participate. A woman becoming pregnant is the result of her having already exercised her reproductive rights. An abortion is merely a desire to skirt the consequences of that prior decision.

Where’s the posters of babies holding “my body my choice” signs?

1 Like

Satire roundup. Maybe you’re looking for this one?

3 Likes

That is why Roe v. Wade was and is so wrong. The court took the issue out of the political realm so no compromise is possible. The left media are claiming that abortion without restriction is very popular. I’ve seen polling that indicates the opposite but let the political process work out. We we will see after the next election.

4 Likes

“While most of the country supports the right to chose, more than 20 states have or will enact near-total bans on abortion.”

That was a near-verbatim quote from this morning. I’d think that 20 states going the opposite direction is a pretty clear indication that it isnt as one-sided as they want to make it out to be.

This has degraded to more “I dont care what you think, either I get what I want or you are obviously a terrible horrible no-good very bad person!” Leaving it up to the individual states is only a “bad” decision because they know that their argument doesnt stand a chance in a lot of those states.

2 Likes

As usual, the left-wing media are spreading propaganda. Yes, the majority of people are not happy with but will allow abortion in the first trimester. But abortion in the second and third trimester are not supported by a large fraction of people. Both Democrats and Republicans.

3 Likes

I’ve thought a lot about the abortion issue. Being a pretty strong conservative woman, of coarse I would say that I’m against it. But, in earlier times we didn’t have all the contraceptive devices available today.

Today any smart woman has ways to avoid getting pregnant when not ready to possibly have a baby. But a young teenager that is having sexual relationships without protection is taking a chance of pregnancy.

I’m not talking about waiting for an abortive action into late first trimester. I actually can accept an immediate abortion. I think it’s just a matter of quick action to determine whether it’s acceptable “in the eyes of god”.

Only my feelings…

3 Likes

I believe abortion should be available at least during the 1st trimester.
I remember friends I had during my youth who got their girlfriends pregnant in the old country. It was horrific! Not only abortion wasn’t available to them, but they probably didn’t realize they were pregnant for a few months. One of them tried to hid the pregnancy for 7 months, with terrible neurological consequences for the baby.

3 Likes

The left tried but failed to kill anyone throwing fire bombs at a pro-life office in Madison WI. Luckily they were incompetent.

https://madison.com/news/local/watch-now-madison-anti-abortion-headquarters-hit-by-apparent-molotov-cocktail-vandalism-graffiti/article_526660ea-776d-50ca-9baa-4b4a9337dca7.html
Backup link

A Molotov cocktail, which did not ignite, was thrown inside the building, according to police. It also appears a separate fire was started in response, police said.

1 Like

Leadership, just not the good kind.

I saw somewhere alleging that some of the websites encouraging protests specifically for the Roe memo were set up prior to the official leak, suggesting the Democrats had sat on the memo, prepared protests, and timed their exposure of it to help whatever inflation or Ukrainian debacle wasn’t going that well. Did anyone see something like this discussed elsewhere?

3 Likes

I have seen articles saying that the signs held up at the riots the night of the leak article were professionally printed.

2 Likes

a bit more on the anti-democracy protestors here

2 Likes

I’m not certain if encouraging illegal activity is illegal, but judges’ homes are off limits, by law. I wonder how quickly Joseph Robinette Biden will bring the FBI and National Guard to quell the illegal activity.

1 Like

I don’t detect sarcasm in your post. Are you saying that a woman becoming pregnant as the result of a rape has already exercised her reproductive rights because it was illegal for her to get raped?

You are absolutely correct. Period.

But law does not matter when our top law enforcement officers, Biden and Garland, are a couple of scumbags under whose aegis illegality rules the day. Want another example of their malfeasance and maladministration? Look at the border.

3 Likes

No, I [pretty clearly] said that an abortion has nothing to do with reproductive rights; a woman has exercised those rights by virtue of the choices that resulted in her becoming pregnant. By the time there is anything to be aborted, choices about reproduction have already been made - the pregnancy is the consequence of those choices.

A woman being forced to reproduce also has nothing to do with abortion, because it’s already made illegal by rape statutes - a woman cannot legally be forced to get pregnant. I didnt comment on abortions following rape, because I understand that the pregnancy is the result of a crime, not a choice. The arguments against abortion do still apply, but it’s the one circumstance where the pro-abortion arguments do hold any water. It has nothing to do with women’s reproductive rights, and everything to do with restitution for the victim of a crime.

But the point was, access to abortions isnt protecting a woman’s right to anything. It’s merely a bandaid for the consequences of a woman having and exercising their rights. From the reactions of the pro-abortion crowd, you’d think these laws quasi-banning abortions are making it illegal for a woman to have sex (or that rape was being made legal). Such laws are just saying that you can continue to get screwed all you want, you’re just going to be stuck with the consequences of that decision. In a somewhat twisted way, an abortion is the reproductive equivalent of a participation trophy - you messed up, but we’ll still let you celebrate with those who got it right.

3 Likes

It was not clear to me – I thank you for explaining.

What about the scenario where the pregnancy is the result of a failure of contraception? The woman (and man) exercised their rights by choosing to use contraception to avoid a pregnancy.