Booster Shots: When will you get a booster (3rd) shot of the vaccine?

Thank you, and I found out a few hours later. As an aside, I hate CVS. They seem to be concerned, caring, and capable, or inept, moronic, and untruthful. The former is referring to most of the pharmacy staff. The latter is referring to their corporate covid policies, capabilities and ignored promises.

Oh, and CVS is positive that I am Covid-negative. My antibodies worked for me, and I can continue to live with them. :smile:

So, lemme see - three of the shots will be covid vaccine/booster/thingamajig and one will be vaccine/booster/thingamajig plus the flu vaccine du jour? Yeah, I see no problems with that, at all. :smile:

it’s a vax cocktail!

1 Like

A round of PDP-11’s for the house.

Two for one happy hours! People will need a̶m̶b̶u̶l̶a̶n̶c̶e̶s̶ designated unvaxxed drivers. :wink:

All snark aside, I got my booster given the O stats rising, remaining uncertainty around (hopefully more mild) health outcomes from O, and possibly more risky xmas holiday gatherings with less cautious relatives approaching.

4 Likes

In the same vein, and regarding the vaccine, I find myself more frequently checking to make sure that I’m not cutting off my nose to spite my face.

It seems that the older I get, the more obstinate I’ve become, and the quicker my BS meter pegs. For someone raised to be patient and subtle, it’s somewhat worrisome. :pensive:

Denmark on O variant, since they have lots of good testing to tell which variant is involved for nearly all cases.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/denmarks-omicron-surge-is-a-warning-to-the-rest-of-world

About 75% of O cases were in twice / fully vaccinated people. This is in line with around 75-80% of Denmark being fully vaccinated, or in other words, the vaccines do basically nothing to prevent O infection.

About 8% of O cases were in boosted people, compared to 19% of their population being boosted. So it’s about 40% of that population so the boosters are preliminarily providing about 60% protection against O infection in this smallish sample.

1 Like

Similar evidence from the UK on how boosters help vs O.

Time (weeks) vs vax efficacy for AZN and PFE

The above graph shows vaccine effectiveness against mild illness and weeks since vaccination. The analysis showed a Pfizer booster provides between 70 and 75 per cent protection against mild Omicron illness, regardless of which vaccine was originally used, compared to 90 per cent for Delta. Two doses of Pfizer may offer just 37 per cent protection after three-and-a-half months compared to 60 per cent for Delta. Two shots of AstraZeneca offered virtually no protection after the same amount of time.

2 Likes

2 Likes

The nurse who gave me the 3rd (booster) shot yesterday had a similar offer for the next round. :frowning:

2 Likes

Just to be clear, we’re not talking about the booster specifically offering protection against O. We’re only talking about receiving a shot within a more recent timeframe. Meaning, there is no evidence that a person who received the 2nd dose of an mRNA vaccine 7 months ago and then a booster last month is any more protected than a person who received the 2nd dose of their vaccine last month. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

Well there isn’t data in that article about timeframes, but PFE is very much saying that boosters help while just two doses don’t cut it very well vs O. They don’t talk about timeframes either however.

5 Likes

This is in India w/ AZN Booster Dose Covid Vaccine: Omicron no reason to rush booster decision; Experts | India News - Times of India

and why prevent when you can treat :wink:

Surprised this news isn’t moving markets yet…

Pfizer on Tuesday said final analysis of its antiviral Covid-19 pill still showed near 90% efficacy in preventing hospitalizations and deaths in high-risk patients, and recent lab data suggests the drug retains its effectiveness against the fast-spreading omicron variant of the coronavirus.

PFE meanwhile, 2 doses of vaccine only 70% to prevent O hospitalization, down from 93% previously. The vaccines are not working nearly as well.

https://www.axios.com/omicron-coronavirus-cases-europe-us-c85be94d-8edf-4d61-9f05-de924bff6760.html

During the current Omicron wave, the two-dose regimen was 70% effective against severe disease requiring hospital admission.

1 Like

If you read through the Axios article it’s actually pretty evenhanded. Their conclusion makes sense to me.

The bottom line: “Frankly we don’t have enough reliable, robust data at this point to give a clear direction as to what this will look like in the weeks to months ahead,” said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

• But there is certainly a strong possibility that a lot of Americans are about to get sick — soon.

They use diesel. Throw AZN out the window. :smile:

Peacock urine is supposedly 95% effective. This is 100% straight from the horse’s mouth. Headline to follow:

Secretariat Peacock Farms declares shortage of peacock urine. Dr. Fauci’s peacock urine collection ampules are delayed from his Chinese Wuhan factory. :smile: It’s been a long … and possibly confusing day. :frowning:

Wow! And they didn’t lead with that headline? Way to earn despect!

HK study finds 0% sinovac protection vs O, and only 20-25% from PFE without booster.

1 Like

MRNA doesn’t do much vs O, but, like PFE, does a fair bit better with a booster.

1 Like