Booster Shots: When will you get a booster (3rd) shot of the vaccine?

Based on the findings, Montefiore says a new vaccine specifically targeting omicron probably won’t be needed. During a White House briefing Wednesday, Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health echoed that, both for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

"Our booster vaccine regimens work against omicron. At this point, there is no need for a variant-specific booster," Fauci said.

so much for my plan to wait for the omicron booster

1 Like

Well it’s just as well, since we don’t have one and won’t for several more months. And with this virus doubling every two days, everyone’s going to have gotten it by the time they might be able to roll out the O specific one.

I preferred this summary of that news item :slight_smile:

Biden’s top health advisors and illict sponsor of gain-of-function research in Wuhan, Anthony Fauci, said that existing vaccine booster shots appear to protect against the omicron variant, and as of now there’s no need to develop specialized shots to guard against it.

2 Likes

One of the reasons I got vax early was to have “pass” looks like that reason stays for now

I’m seeing mixed messaging re: OM severity. Again for me low risk, wondering why boost if we’ll be at this again six months later??

FYI Based on this I might skip Flu shot this year as low risk

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/16/health/flu-vaccine-mismatch/index.html

2 Likes

an indication they may not do much to prevent infection, researchers reported Thursday. But they are still likely to prevent severe illness.

So, it’s exactly like the Covid vaccine.

4 Likes

NY plans to require 3 shots, for now, to participate in public life.

2 Likes

meanwhile

Currently, the vast majority of Covid hospitalizations and deaths are among unvaccinated people, not vaccinated people without booster shots, according to Tedros.

2 Likes

To quote Boutros-Boutros-Ghali (probably):

Facts? We don’t need no stinkin facts.

Israel lowers time til boosters to 3 months.

2 Likes

One of the manuscripts tracks a very large clinical trial that involved giving South African healthcare workers a second dose of the J&J vaccine six to nine months after their first dose. The timing of the trial meant that many of the participants were boosted shortly before the rise of omicron infections in that country.

The team tracked test results in the participants, and adjusted the data for complicating factors like age and known risk factors. Based on the need for hospitalization, the booster was obviously effective, and its efficacy increased over time. In the two weeks after the boost, the efficacy in preventing hospitalization was 63 percent. After the two week mark, however, this rose to 84 percent, and stayed there for at least two months afterwards.

Second study, involving only 20 participants from the Boston area. But it looks at the immune response in far greater detail. It also looks at people who received either one or two doses, but because of the small study population, there’s not enough people in either group to do a separate analysis of these populations.

But the striking results came when the researchers looked at the T cells that help recognize and kill infected cells. In these individuals, there was essentially no difference at any time point examined. Other types of T cells did decline somewhat, but also remain robust out to eight months. Again, these are preliminary results from a small study, but it does seem consistent with other reports of long lasting immunity produced by the J&J vaccine.

4 Likes

PFE - FDA approved for boosting kids 12-15, and also for age 5-11 only for those with immune issues.

1 Like

The latest politically motivated decision by the FDA. This one went down yesterday January 3, 2022

“Dear President Biden, FDA is bypassing it’s scientific advisors to authorize boosters for all kids 12-15 next week. This is unconscionable – undermines the integrity of the FDA’s standard process! Please require FDA to put this authoriz [sic] before the VRBPAC advisory comm for a vote!” Dr. Marty Makary, chief of the Johns Hopkins Islet Transplant Center and Fox News contributor, tweeted Saturday.

The Vaccine and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee voted against giving the Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 booster shots to most people back in September. It instead voted to limit boosters to those aged 65 and older, as well as to people at risk of severe illness, citing the lack of evidence showing the boosters are safe for younger people.

The agency said at the time that it did not convene its advisory panel because the committee had already discussed the use of boosters and “the requests do not raise questions that would benefit from additional discussion,” the New York Times reported on Nov. 19.

4 Likes

well my decision is in :frowning: Not getting a 3rd shot

Got Ominicron, +test and symptoms this Sunday. Feeling better today. Wish I had got the booster. 6 yo daughter ( got 1st dose 2 weeks ago) and wife (not boosted) are doing fine, but my son is sick too

Wonder if my wife should get boosted at this point.

also read this today

Is she healthy? If so, maybe consider the natural booster, as proposed by the Indian-origin (whatever that is) ?people? ?bots? ?Chinese AIs?. :wink:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/repeat-booster-shots-risk-overloading-immune-system-ema-says

Well look at that…

European Union regulators warned that frequent Covid-19 booster shots could adversely affect the immune response and may not be feasible.

Repeat booster doses every four months could eventually weaken the immune response and tire out people, according to the European Medicines Agency.

Boosters “can be done once, or maybe twice, but it’s not something that we can think should be repeated constantly,” Marco Cavaleri, the EMA head of biological health threats and vaccines strategy,

Just another concern many have been expressing, but been constantly shouted down as “antivaxxers” “spreading misinformation”. At least here (at fragiledeal), if I recall correctly, the notion that keeping your immune system on high alert for an extended period of time might not be the smartest idea, wasnt outright denounced.

“We need to think about how we can transition from the current pandemic setting to a more endemic setting.”

And again, something many people have been thinking about ever since the laughable “two weeks” timeframe for the initial restrictions and closures. Either hide forever, or learn to live with it. It was inevitable, yet is something so many have bent over backwards trying to avoid thinking about.

3 Likes

Except in China, apparently, where they seal off and lock down entire cities to contain the spread.

2 Likes

it does not seem to be working. O continues to spread.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/12/china/china-covid-omicron-update-intl-hnk/index.html

1 Like

Or just k̶i̶l̶l̶ disappear them … maybe to Uyghur country where they can provide slave labor.

1 Like

What? I wasnt aware that covid has disappeared from China?

Isnt China merely an illustration of the futility of such exercises? The fact they refuse to accept, and continue to delay, the inevitable doesnt make it any less inevitable.

so it’s really the time period that matters? annual flu shot is fine, but not 6 months C19? or is it composition?

1 Like