CD Discussion Thread

No reason to argue. We each can decide for ourselves how to deploy our cash in the coming weeks and months. For me, now is not the time to commit money to longer term instruments at the rates we are seeing today. I just think you want to argue, so this is my last post on this topic.

Not wanting to argue. Just defending my point, which Scripta (and indirectly yourself) chose to argue with.

Again, I didn’t say to wait forever, just until the math makes more sense. My cash is at 1.25% now and in 2 months I expect it to be at 1.85%, at least. short-term CDs will probably be closer to 4% then. If the FED indicates a slow-down, say by only planning to go up a quarter instead of half a point per meeting, it’ll make a lot more sense getting into CDs than it does now.

2 Likes

Your expectations are overwhelming!

Prospects for 2 months growth on liquid funds, I hope you are correct but I’m not holding my breath. :blush:

Let’s make a record on this…especially the 4%.

1 Like

It’s not rocket science and has already been mentioned on this forum multiple times – the FED is expected to raise the interest rates by 0.5% at each of the next two FOMC meetings – first in mid-June, another at end of July. There’s your 1% in two months. It could even be higher than that. It’s hard to predict what will happen after that, but currently the expectations are for a few 0.25% hikes.

In other words right now we only have to wait 2 months for the extra 1%. After that we’ll probably have to wait almost 6 months to get another 1%. With that extended time horizon, longer-term higher rate deposits like CDs will make more sense.

Of course most savings accounts do not follow the FOMC increases with the same amount or at the same time, but at least one did – Wealthfront Cash – and I suspect they’ll keep going.

1 Like

OK scripta… You’re the Money Man predictor. I’m certainly willing to go along with your thinking :thinking:.

Smartest Guy (at this moment) and your readings make sense. By the way, I also have Wealthfront Cash $500, I’m going back to check on it

Also need to keep tabs on the 4% CD in a couple months.

Unify FCU has a promotional 15-month 2% CD.

Not great, you may say, due to it being a full percent lower than the best 2-year options. However, it allows one penalty free withdrawal. Note that the withdrawal can only be for at most 50% of the CD balance, and only after the account has been open 6 months. So it is close to being the perfect interim holding spot for spare cash, but not quite.

2 Likes

So close. As we’re constantly on the lookout for that perfect cash $$’s placement. Unify 2%, but a few hang ups.

Unify CU had a similar offer last year that was even better with an add-on clause. I just checked to be sure if maybe this offer was the same. Not available this time.

Nope… I’m going to stick with the 1.25% liquid for now.

Guess time has come to exercise my allowed one time bump. Bellco has raised the interest rate on three year Smart Move CDs to 1.40% APY. I’m still sitting at 1.15% APY so time to telephone them, bump, and lock in the 1.40% APY rate.

Course the account remains liquid except for that last $1000. Not a problem.

Here is the plan:

With interest rates on the rise generally, should Bellco boost the Smart Move CD rate again (and with me out of bumps) I will close my existing CD account and use the proceeds to open a new Smart Move CD account at the new, higher, interest rate.

I continue to like the Bellco Smart Move CD a lot. Am happy they are trying to keep up with advancing interest rates. Bellco has always been a good outfit for me . . . . . they have treated me quite well over these recent years.

ETA

Called in. Did the bump. It was painless.

2 Likes

Ken yesterday (first of June) did his writeup covering the best liquid accounts. The focus here, on this thread, is on Ken’s mention of two no-penalty certificates of deposit.

You can find Ken’s writeup here. Scroll down for the NPCDs:

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/bank-accounts-survey/

Noteworthy is Ken’s mention of the Rising Bank fifteen month NPCD which yields 1.50% APY. That is slightly more than the Bellco Smart Move CD, discussed one post up thread here, which Ken also highlights.

Of course with both of these CD accounts there are special considerations. Ken details them well. Before you jump in, read Ken’s writeup so as to do so with eyes wide open.

1 Like

If you happen to be an NFCU member, and it is the largest credit union in America after all, with a whole lot of members:

They have raised the interest rates on some of their longer CDs. You might want to check this out.

1 Like

Connexus 1 year (not penalty-free) is at 2.26%. Just a straight CD with no add-ons or rate-bumps.

5k minimum.

3 Likes

Acknowledged.

However, please do not forget it’s a one-time bump and a one-time add-on.

I do agree the rate lock is a comfort considering the liquidity of this CD.

Aside from that:

I believe Bellco is one of those “must join” credit unions. It’s a Colorado CU, and given recent events with another fine Colorado CU, Blue, my opinion is to join now while you still are allowed lest Bellco close its membership like Blue did.

The fact I personally messed up with Blue prompts this counsel. I was too “busy” and did not join in time. Missed out and pissed myself off.

1 Like

Kind of meh, but Ally has raised its no-penalty CD rate to 1.00% effective today.

4 Likes

The latest treasury securities yields. remember these are not taxable by states

GOV

3 Month 0.00 1.27 1.30% +43 +131 4:18 PM
GB6:GOV

6 Month 0.00 1.88 1.92% +53 +191 4:17 PM
GB12:GOV

12 Month 0.00 2.40 2.47% +59 +245 4:18 PM
GT2:GOV

2 Year 2.50 98.93 3.06% +45 +292 4:18 PM
GT5:GOV

5 Year 2.63 97.15 3.25% +34 +254 4:18 PM
GT10:GOV

10 Year 2.88 97.66 3.15% +16 +172 4:18 PM
GT30:GOV

30 Year 2.88 93.88 3.19% +7 +107 4:18 PM
https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/rates-bonds/government-bonds/us

4 Likes

That is good news and worthy of consideration. Only negative I have . . and I’m not certain on this . . but I believe I read somewhere that Ally has made it just a tad bit more difficult to cash in these CDs. Back when I had mine it could be done entirely online. I think today it might be necessary to telephone them. But this is still very much a CD deal worthy of attention.

Thank you for posting. And lest we forget, all that interest is wonderfully exempt from state taxation! Such a deal! :grinning:

Ally changed it back to 100% online.

I did an early withdrawal on a few Ally NPCDs couple weeks ago and it was 100% online, no phone call needed.

6 Likes

That is good, and important, news. Thank you very much for posting.

I am going to stay as liquid as possible for now. I believe interest rates by yr-end could be twice as high as they are now. This inflation is not going away and, in all likelihood, will get far worse. The Fed will have no choice but to raise rates far higher than they now anticipate. If they don’t, the economic pain will be far greater. There are no good alternatives for the Fed.

1 Like

Nobody here opened an acct at Element? Nor EFTCU? Element is 4% guaranteed 1 yr. Evansville is 3.3% no guar. But with rates rising, will probably stay there.
Of course some easy hoops. Each one is 15 debits but Element allows small bill pays to count. EFTCU requires a DD monthly. I do 60.00 from Alliant and it counts as DD.
I also have HMBRADLY at 3%. And none of these funds are tied up!!