CD Discussion Thread

The Elements account isn’t a CD so doesn’t really belong in this thread.

I have a Elements High Interest Checking but opened it way before this 4% promo. I went with this exactly because I don’t want to do the debit card work and have many bills to pay with my many credit cards as well as normal bills so it works out nicely for me.

If you want further details maybe start a new thread for Elements and see if we can get more visibility for a credit union that deserves more love in my opinion :slight_smile:

yes, I agree. maybe Ill start a new topic later. Thanks

1 Like

Ken has updated both his bank and his credit union ratings to reflect end of March, 2022, data:

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/

Bauer has so far updated only their bank star ratings with end of March, 2022, data:

Weiss, too, has updated his bank ratings, but not credit unions yet:

1 Like

Repeat reminder:

Today is Monday, 13th of June. One week hence is a Federal holiday. Juneteenth, which falls on a Sunday this year, will be celebrated that Monday. Do not be caught off guard or taken by surprise.

I have a CD maturing this coming Saturday. It isn’t local. Will not be able to lay my hands on those funds until the following Tuesday, and the funds will not reach Alliant, via ACH, until the following Wednesday. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Big money CD deal - Limited to high rollers only

Move on unless you’re rich! :grinning:

This pilfered from Ken’s website, from a poster over there named leemd. Is leemd a doctor? I dunno. Anyway:

This is a one year CD yielding 2.95%. That is a good rate of interest for a (relatively) short term CD. Deal is at a North Carolina CU, Latino CU. This CU is A+ rated and anyone may join.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/latino-credit-union.html#rates

Scroll down to locate leemd’s post. Note that you need $200 grand to get this deal. I told you it is only for the very rich!! :wink:

ETA

Note I don’t know the EWP on this deal. The way things are going, you should probably find out before you commit. At this point, with matters heading south as rapidly as they are, even a one year CD might be too long!

(EWP = Early Withdrawal Penalty)

Shinobi, that’s crazy, I also have a CD maturing on Saturday. I am also thinking of transferring some of the funds to Alliant. I would like to use ACH but I think I exceed the maximum limit for an ACH transfer. I wish Alliant was a shared branch member but unfortunately they are not. It seems like the only way to get the funds over there is to do a wire transfer. Have any other ideas on ways to deposit a fairly large sum of money at Alliant?

Yeah, holidays are tough.

Don’t forget that your wire transfer will be held up just as will ACH. Next Monday: everything stops.

No, Saturday maturities are problematic even beneath the best of circumstances. Even with a “local to local” situation (both financial institutions are local and you can go in on Saturday morning), unless you withdrew cash (certainly not at all recommended), they would most likely put some sort of hold on your check. Bottom line, when the Fed is closed we are sort of screwed where moving money is concerned.

Regarding ACH vs. wire:

It all depends on the cost for the wire (costs vary widely) and the amount of money (I’m not asking). But if you could do the ACH transfer in two hops, for example, it might be less costly than a wire. That said:

I at times will wire funds just to get the money where it is going and have the transfer over with and behind me. Peace of mind has some value.

Bottom line, it’s a holiday coming up and there is nothing we really can do except . . . . .

. . . . at least be aware and not caught off guard. :slightly_frowning_face:

ETA

Pursuant to my earlier warning regarding Juneteenth and my colloquy with goldendog:

No participant here needs to be warned about the Independence Day holiday. Everyone already knows that on July fourth everything is gonna shut down all over again. However:

You might nevertheless be unaware that July fourth this year falls on a MONDAY.

So just like with Juneteenth, financial services will be shut down for a protracted period of time. Forewarned is forearmed. :wink:

1 Like

That’s an interesting offer. Because a good chunk of that return isnt from the interest rate, it’s from the “1% cashback bonus” you get from depositing at least $10k. But it’s the same 1% bonus regardless of CD term, be it 12 months or as long as 60 month. So they’re encouraging you to go shorter term, when I’d think they would prefer the opposite - lock you in long term now, before rates rise even further.

I think I’d jump on this in a heartbeat, if not for the dollar amount required. By the time I can scrape together $200k in one place to fund the CD, this offer wont have nearly the spotlight on it.

The 1-yr treasury ended yesterday at 2.89%, so that is pretty close to this CD, especially considering treasuries are exempt from state and local taxes.

7 Likes

I agree with you, scanchain. I would opt for your one year treasury deal in a heartbeat over that CD deal I posted. Yes, of course there is the exemption from state tax with the treasury . . . which is great.

But also you don’t need $200 grand to participate at treasury!!

Still, I suppose if one considers only CD deals, then that Latino one year CD deal is quite competitive. But I really do not understand why anyone would limit themselves like that.

1 Like

I actually decided to take a look at the Latino CU deal. BUT I got stopped at the online membership post.

Probably my problem, because I started with my IPhone then decided to move over to the computer. Everything clicked & problems occurred. Eventually I called directly and they said I should fill out the “old world” paper application. So I’m in a holding mode, waiting for an email copy of the forms.

Some things never come easy…

Maybe it’s just as well to leave my liquid funds in Bask Bank now paying 1.50%. :blush:

1 Like

I dont know that this is an offer worth chasing. If you are already set up with them, maybe, but as was pointed out, 1-year Treasuries are also right about 3%. And you should be able to buy them right away through any existing brokerage account.

By the time you get set up with Latino CU, there will likely be a new offer you will want to chase instead. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That goes double for @pattyb53 because she lives in California.

She will actually do better with scanchain’s Treasury deal because there is no state tax.

5 Likes

I see 3.134%…

T-Bills must be purchased in advance of the auction, so it’s already too late for yesterday’s auction and we must wait until the next one in a month. That one might be even better.

That was yesterday. It ends with 3.15% today.

https://home.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/interest-rates/TextView?type=daily_treasury_yield_curve&field_tdr_date_value=2022

You don’t have to wait for the auction to purchase. You can buy from the secondary market, anytime on any trading day. All the major brokerages (Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab, Etrade) do not charge any commission to trade treasuries. If you see the yield you like, you can click “buy” to invest. Settlement is due the next business day.

1 Like

But you don’t get the same rate from the secondary market. For example, it looks like the Treasury auction ended at 96.946444 (per 100, or ~3.15%), while the current price on Fidelity is 97.442 (or 2.62%).

Ken Tumin, founder and editor of DepositAccounts, expects CD rates to keep climbing this year and next.

If the Fed carries out a total of seven rate hikes this year and three or four in 2023, Tumin predicts the highest rates for five-year CDs will hit a range of 4.00% to 4.50% by the end of next year.

But say the central bank acts even more aggressively and raises rates nine times in 2022 and four times next year. Under that scenario, Tumin expects the best five-year CD rate will reach 4.75% to 5.00% by the end of 2023.

“If you’re worried about being locked into a low-rate CD if rates start rising, choose long-term CDs with early withdrawal penalties of no more than six months of interest,” he cautions.

1 Like

I wrote something similar > 2 weeks ago, but my timeline is even shorter :slight_smile:

Markets are closed now so you won’t get competitive quotes.

The treasury market is very liquid, and the spreads are very narrow. You shouldn’t see such wide differences (3.15% vs 2.62%).

While you can avoid the spreads when you purchase through an auction, most of the time I actually prefer the secondary market because of two reasons:

1. What you see is what you get. With the auction, you don’t know the exact yield until the auction closes. As you know, the yield changes continuously throughout the week / day. Sometimes, when I see a yield I like, I could purchase immediately from the secondary market. You can’t do this with an auction since you need to plan your investments around the auction dates.

2. Next-day investment. The settlement day for an auction is usually several days after the auction. During this time, your money is not invested. With the secondary market, settlement is the next business day. For example your CD has just matured and you want to purchase a 2-yr treasury. Looking at the auction calendar, you see that the next auction is on 6/27 and settlement on 6/30. You would have to wait until 6/30 before the money is actually invested if you wait to purchase during the auction.

5 Likes

“End of 2023” isn’t similar to “end of this summer”.

2 Likes