Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

That’s probably because it’s more common in Africa and most people you’d hear about traveling there probably had their vaccines. The important question is how bad a case do they get from O, and is that different / better if they had been vaccinated vs not. Even without a booster, PFE thinks the vaccine helps avoid worse outcomes (since you’ll still have some T cell immune response, even if the antibodies aren’t as effective).

I jokingly mentioned this way upthread, but have there been any studies (not necessarily covid related) regarding side-effects of keeping your immune system in a heightened state for long periods of time, as in boost after boost?

1 Like

Not that I know. I mean, your body does this already for whatever common bacteria or viruses are around generally, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Potentially if the virus was similar to some part of your own body, you might get autoimmune issues from some of the antibodies you might make. I think there’s some speculation that the long covid or post-vaccine complications could be due to that effect.

1 Like

I’m thinking :thinking: maybe my left arm is going to give out on me.

Poor thing (my arm), early in the year when Covid-19’s all the rage. I got that first vaccination. Sometimes later, the second. Early Fall, a flu shot. Lastly (I hope), Friday, the booster shot.

So as I mentioned earlier, enough is enough!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Study finds T-cell defenses against O variant are nearly all unaffected by the mutations, boding well for protection against serious outcomes. They tested covid survivors’ T cells rather than vaxxed-not-yet-infected people, but they expect it to be similar for both groups.

These data suggest that virtually all individuals with existing anti-SARS-CoV-2 CD8+ T-cell responses should recognize the Omicron VOC, and that SARS-CoV-2 has not evolved extensive T-cell escape mutations at this time.

we examined the CD8+ T-cell responses in previously infected but not vaccinated individuals, and it is possible that the T-cell responses in this later group are more limited and therefore more susceptible to escape. However, work examining T-cell responses from vaccinees has demonstrated a strong CD4+ and CD8+ T-cell responses in these individuals, suggesting that similar trends should be seen in this population as well

Good news.

2 Likes

Brazil apparently didn’t get paid off with the Pfizermectin money. A whole city offered it to everyone preventatively, and they compared the results from those who did and didn’t take it.

Incidence of covid was slightly reduced and mortality was reduced by half.

Prophylactic use of ivermectin showed significantly reduced COVID-19 infection rate, mortality rate and chance of dying from COVID-19 on a calculated population-level analysis, which controlled for all relevant confounding variables.

I wonder if anyone will publish it. The journals seem to have their own agendas these days.

3 Likes

First UK death from O, up to 40% of new infections there.

1 Like

Bump.

1 Like

There seems to be a total blackout on the health of the patient before the infection.

1 Like

Brief video where a S. African doc say the O variant is mild disease after 4 weeks of experience with it

https://twitter.com/EssexPR/status/1470007687475773449

Don’t believe the TV banner on the “surge of deaths”, lol

Good graphic on the variant distribution by country for samples in the last couple weeks.

1 Like

Hmm. I’m debating whether I should get the Booster or the Omicron.

:joy:

• Booster
  • Omicron

0 voters

1 Like

Where’s the third option, for neither? It isnt a choice of one or the other - you choose the booster or not, and you face the risk of getting Omnicron with or without the booster (and a vast majority of people never will get it regardless).

2 Likes

PFE pill, works better in high risk people. guess it just matters more there.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-says-its-covid-19-pill-likely-works-against-omicron-11639482302

In the final analysis, five of the 697 high-risk subjects who received the drug within three days of symptoms were hospitalized or died from Covid-19, compared with 44 out of 682 subjects who received a placebo, Pfizer said.

Nine study volunteers who received a placebo died, compared with none in the treatment arm, the company said.

Researchers also reported the drug was 88% effective if taken within five days of symptoms.

Two of the 333 low-risk subjects who got Paxlovid were hospitalized, however, compared with eight of 329 subjects who received a placebo, resulting in the 70% efficacy, Pfizer said.

1 Like

Wait, I thought we were told the results of small studies were unreliable?

1 Like

Small studies are very reliable when paid for by Big Bucks. When done by doctors using generics to help their patients, they are anecdotal and unreliable.

2 Likes

NY NJ seeing 13% of new cases being O. It’s going to be everywhere and soon.

2 Likes

I’m fairly positive it’s not an option for me with a child in daycare. I hardly ever go anywhere and just got over two different kinds of flu that hit me back to back (flu vax didn’t help). Most likely my little disease vector brought them home, since he got sick first. I figured if I’m not getting the Booster, I’m getting the Omicron.

3 Likes

Marketing depts. love to write press releases … until something like Bhopal happens. Then, the legal eagles have to earn their pay.

I love that line … Coming soon to a Hallmark card near you.

3 Likes