Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

It’s all “vague” how I’m wrong. But I point out exactly how I’m both correct n the poster cannot actually show masks don’t work without mischaracterizing the study or the facts surrounding it.

Masks work. You cannot prove that they don’t because they do. The slow the spread. The also help reduce the seriousness of the infection.
Both of these are patently obvious.

The original question still stands. Why the repeated attacks ? Is it pathological ?

If you’d like. Number your questions or assertions on how masks don’t work. I’ll takem 1 at a time.

Roundup on various recent trends and observations lately.

• BA2 variant of O appears to be about 2x as transmissible but not obviously worse for outcomes. It’s already here in the US, but unlike the original O, it doesn’t have the S gene knockout so it’s harder to tell apart from Delta on the PCR tests.
  • trying to avoid O is getting very difficult and will likely be moreso with the new BA2 version. Inflection rate for those who were specifically taking many extra precautions and trying to avoid exposure was only 25% lower than in the general population. I kinda doubt there people were wearing N95s for all outside encounters tho…
  • FDA pulled several monoclonals’ EUAs since they are not expected to work on O, and 99% of our new cases are O these days. There are some that work on O, but supplies are quite limited, like with the Pfizer antiviral pill. They expanded the remdesivir EUA to include kids and early outpatient IV treatment for those at high risk (which seems to work pretty well).
  • boosters help, esp vs O, for those who haven’t yet had covid. In addition, getting a different booster type (ie JNJ or MNRA if you had PFE originally, etc) showed equal or better immune response than getting the 3rd dose of the same kind as the first two.
  • death rates remain fairly high in the US, now exceeding the Delta peak.

I’m not quite how to square the fairly high persistent death rates with a range of other data that suggests that O is a less serious disease comparatively. Maybe some of it is residual deaths from Delta taking time to happen, maybe some is the US population being fairly unhealthy (vs much better global outcomes), maybe some of it is getting lots of O cases all at once and it’s not that much friendlier against the remaining unvaxxed.

1 Like

Ok, there’s two different definitions of “work” here.

You are arguing that if one mask captures one particle of virus, then masks inherently work. Another thing that also “works”? Holding your breath. Another thing that works? Forcing everyone to remain in their homes under the threat of being shot should they walk out their front door.

Everyone else is referring to masks “working” as a public health tool. Where a small reduction in viral particles has zero effect on public health, where mask mandates have had little-to-no effect on public health outcomes. Lots of things technically “work”, but are wholely ineffective at accomplishing whatever they’re intended to accomplish.

Its called context, and that comes from reading comprehension. So again, if you would read what’s been written and try to understand it, rather than decide your response then look to find a partial quote to which you can apply that response to, this might have the makings of an actual discussion. Until that happens, you are trying to prove yourself right by throwing insults and yelling the loudest. Which only makes you to be the village idiot.

The original question was answered. And you’ve proceeded to repeatedly validate how on point that answer was.

Why the repeated attacks? Is it pathological? We’re all sitting here waiting for you to answer that, since all the pathological attacks have come from you.

4 Likes

Kids school attainment compared to pre-covid averages. Worse, especially so in math and in, likely by proxy, worse schools.

2 Likes

Fauci was against them before he was for them? They had lots of trials showing they didn’t do much, if anything, against flu and other respiratory viruses. Droplet born things, maybe, but not airborne ones.

2 Likes

Agree. Except the data does in fact show masking effective as a public health tool. Masks work.

I might have not been clear enough. We know masks do work from the viruses in the mask. Do they work enough ?

You cant have that convo when the covidiots yap that they do not work at all.

Why ? Why the continued use of the strawmen ? Is it a pathological thing ? It has to be … and no … the question hasnt been answered.
Why cant they have a conversation without strawmen ? Is it simply any logical convo would lead them to have to acknowledge their own fears ?

Anyways. Mask compliance being low. How do we properly evaluate if masks do work ?

The rule of large numbers ? Large enough sample size should point one way or another. Should. But we also have the 80/20 rule/law. It SHOULD apply to covid cases too. 80% of new cases caused by 20% of the ppl. Well if a few of those unmasked ppl happen to be in that 20% of ppl who are super spreaders. That invalidates everything does it not ? Ugh.

Im not a fan of the little weasel. Hes got the same look in his eyes as peter strzok fired fbi guy.

Anyways … youd have to ask fuchi yourself about being against before being for. Masks were scarce then. Saving for first responders maybe ? Maybe he got additional info since n changed his mind ?

Lockdowns in the U.S. and Europe had little or no impact in reducing deaths from COVID-19, according to a new analysis by researchers at Johns Hopkins University.

The lockdowns during the early phase of the pandemic in 2020 reduced COVID-19 mortality by about 0.2%, said the broad review of multiple scientific studies. “We find no evidence that lockdowns, school closures, border closures, and limiting gatherings have had a noticeable effect on COVID-19 mortality,” the researchers wrote. But the research paper said lockdowns did have “devastating effects” on the economy and contributed to numerous social ills. “They have contributed to reducing economic activity, raising unemployment, reducing schooling, causing political unrest, contributing to domestic violence, and undermining liberal democracy,” the report said.

2 Likes

Speaking of questioning the narrative, here’s the opening chapter of Berenson’s book on the pandemic.

it wasn’t the information I offered that made people love or hate my feed—and me. It was my tone: enraged at the lockdowns, prodding, often sarcastic. I didn’t treat the epidemic with fear. Instead I insisted that “virus gonna virus.” I wrote about “Team Reality” and “Team Apocalypse.”

our response to the coronavirus is the worst public policy mistake worldwide in at least a century, since World War I, when Europe’s leaders sent mil- lions of young men to their graves for reasons they couldn’t even explain. A generation after the fall of the Berlin Wall, we have run the other way, tearing up human liberty around the world.

2 Likes

Ever wonder why the Biden admin has made such a hash up of the virus? Let’s start with his HHS diversity hire, but don’t take my word for it - listen to the liberals complain -

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-xavier-becerra-cant-be-fired-health-and-human-services-biden-administration-11643752812
Backup link

The Administration is rightly under fire for being unprepared for Covid’s Omicron surge, and Mr. Becerra’s agency is at the center of a testing and treatment shortage that has resulted in preventable deaths

According to a cast of anonymous dozens in a Washington Post story, the Biden Administration is “frustrated” with Mr. Becerra’s failure to “coordinat[e] the nation’s vast health bureaucracy” to handle the virus, allowing “confusing and sometimes conflicting messages.” The HHS chief is accused of being in over his head and, according to one unnamed senior Administration official

We wonder what the White House expected in naming a progressive lawyer, with no healthcare experience, to run a sprawling $1.5 trillion agency charged with overseeing Mr. Biden’s campaign promise to “shut down the virus.” Mr. Becerra’s tenure [as California’s Attorney General] was notable mainly for filing some 100 lawsuits against the Trump Administration, and endorsing Medicare for All.

President Biden had many more capable candidates for HHS, but he caved to woke pressure to appoint a progressive Hispanic… The problem with putting identity above qualifications is that you can’t get rid of an appointee even if he proves to be incompetent.

4 Likes

Bump for xerty.

Long covid discussion and various possible treatment approaches

2 Likes

Need a positive rapid test to get out of school or work? What about an uncomfortable family event or a vaccine mandate? Many soda drinks will do the job.

Recent reports have questioned the reliability of LFD results when performed by members of the public in unsupervised settings compared with more controlled (2, 6, 7). Our study finds it plausible that LFD results could be falsified by putting soft drinks instead of sample-washed buffer in the well of the device – as described on social media by school pupils

The mechanism of action of the false positive LFD results in our study is not yet obvious. It did not appear to be related to the acidity of the sample, the sugar content or artificial sweeteners… Caution is advised when interpreting data from unsupervised SARS-CoV-2 LFD tests.

2 Likes

Although some here will dismiss this as more “pathological” denial by “covidiots”, I’m glad to see more and more articles being published that use logic and reason, rather than fear and paranoia. If even Time is getting on board, there may still be hope that wiser heads will finally prevail.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, in Virginia where school boards are somewhat split, and a court has ruled that they can remain that way, my kid who isn’t in public school, but is in private preschool is still wearing a useless piece of cloth in the general area of his lower face hanging from his ears. The logic behind it is that a state agency that regulates private preschools, that has nothing to do with the state department of education, is still recommending that preschools stay masked. An agency that, unlike local school boards, is completely under the control of the governor that said he would end school mask mandates on day one. Riddle me that folks.

The only reason I’m not screaming from the rooftops at anyone that will listen to get that agency to change its recommendations is because my darling wife that doesn’t understand statistical based risks would probably keep sending him to school in a mask. The debate that would ensue between us the date the mandate is lifted is very likely to result in a not-quite-congenial living situation for some time.

Chalk up my marriage to another one of the things that the response to this pandemic has messed up more than the actual virus.

2 Likes

My favorite part is her response:

“It is shameful that our opponents are using a Black History Month reading event for Georgia children as the impetus for a false political attack.”

Oh, so it was a reading event? And you found it difficult to read to a bunch of kids with your mask on? Hmm. Ever wonder how difficult it might be to LEARN TO READ when a child has to read aloud with a mask and their teacher and fellow students they are learning from are always wearing masks?

Not to mention the fact that we’ve been doing this for 1.5 years and these authoritarian jackasses have been dragged everytime they appear in public not following the mandate that the plebs are required to follow and they STILL DO IT and even continue to SMILE IN PHOTOS that they know will come out and make them look like hypocrites.

3 Likes

The virus is in the soda drinks!
:sweat_smile: :thinking:

1 Like

Biden fires his top science advisor, apparently for saying something mean to some subordinate.

Meanwhile, rather than focus on his covid policy failures (record deaths!), he’s trying to get people to care about some “war on cancer” with a goal that’s 25 years out so he will be long gone before he has to be held accountable for those results.

2 Likes

From the “Better Late than Never” Dept, trying to separate the “with covid” from the “due to covid” hospitalizations…

3 Likes

And I bet however they do end up separating them, they will not apply it retroactively back to 2020 to maintain a fair historical picture. They’ll apply it starting now, then take credit for the huge drop in covid hospitalizations (since “with covid” will no longer be counted). Much like the shipping backlog, that was solved by excluding all ships that are waiting too far off shore.

3 Likes