Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

Meanwhile, in Virginia where school boards are somewhat split, and a court has ruled that they can remain that way, my kid who isn’t in public school, but is in private preschool is still wearing a useless piece of cloth in the general area of his lower face hanging from his ears. The logic behind it is that a state agency that regulates private preschools, that has nothing to do with the state department of education, is still recommending that preschools stay masked. An agency that, unlike local school boards, is completely under the control of the governor that said he would end school mask mandates on day one. Riddle me that folks.

The only reason I’m not screaming from the rooftops at anyone that will listen to get that agency to change its recommendations is because my darling wife that doesn’t understand statistical based risks would probably keep sending him to school in a mask. The debate that would ensue between us the date the mandate is lifted is very likely to result in a not-quite-congenial living situation for some time.

Chalk up my marriage to another one of the things that the response to this pandemic has messed up more than the actual virus.

2 Likes

My favorite part is her response:

“It is shameful that our opponents are using a Black History Month reading event for Georgia children as the impetus for a false political attack.”

Oh, so it was a reading event? And you found it difficult to read to a bunch of kids with your mask on? Hmm. Ever wonder how difficult it might be to LEARN TO READ when a child has to read aloud with a mask and their teacher and fellow students they are learning from are always wearing masks?

Not to mention the fact that we’ve been doing this for 1.5 years and these authoritarian jackasses have been dragged everytime they appear in public not following the mandate that the plebs are required to follow and they STILL DO IT and even continue to SMILE IN PHOTOS that they know will come out and make them look like hypocrites.

3 Likes

The virus is in the soda drinks!
:sweat_smile: :thinking:

1 Like

Biden fires his top science advisor, apparently for saying something mean to some subordinate.

Meanwhile, rather than focus on his covid policy failures (record deaths!), he’s trying to get people to care about some “war on cancer” with a goal that’s 25 years out so he will be long gone before he has to be held accountable for those results.

2 Likes

From the “Better Late than Never” Dept, trying to separate the “with covid” from the “due to covid” hospitalizations…

3 Likes

And I bet however they do end up separating them, they will not apply it retroactively back to 2020 to maintain a fair historical picture. They’ll apply it starting now, then take credit for the huge drop in covid hospitalizations (since “with covid” will no longer be counted). Much like the shipping backlog, that was solved by excluding all ships that are waiting too far off shore.

3 Likes

Trouble up north.

2 Likes

Were hospitals testing every patient in 2020? I remember there weren’t enough tests so they only tested people who came in due to COVID.

Focus on the part where separating the “with” covid from the “because of” covid means a sharp drop in hospitalized covid patients that will be pimped as a huge success - despite absolutely nothing changing on the ground. That was my point.

5 Likes

There were some times where it was impossible for the general public to get tested outside of a hospital in 2020. But I never once heard the claim that a hospital didn’t test an admitted patient with breathing problems for COVID. If they didn’t test an emergency room or L&D patient with no breathing issues for COVID, that shouldn’t matter because those people weren’t in for COVID anyway. The times those folks weren’t being tested just won’t see as much of a decline. But that was only part of the year.

2 Likes

Speaking to Germany’s Welt newspaper, Dr. Angelique Coetzee, who is currently the head of the South African Medical Association, said that during discussions with European officials, she was told not to say that Omicron patients presented milder symptoms than prior COVID-19 variants.

“I was told not to publicly state that it was a mild illness. I have been asked to refrain from making such statements and to say that it is a serious illness. I declined,” she told Welt in response to a question about her initial discussions about Omicron with European officials.

3 Likes

Supporters of school mask mandates assume they are effective at reducing COVID-19 transmission, then desperately search for evidence to validate that conviction. That process bears little resemblance to science.

NPR says, “mask proponents … point to the many studies associating mask mandates with lower COVID-19 rates in schools.” But those studies are mostly imaginary.

No one really knows what prompted it, but our county school board held an “emergency” meeting last night and summarily lifted our mask requirement. It had been determined weekly based on the rolling infection rate, and for the past month the kids have been masked. The timing makes me wonder if these recent articles played a role.

Edit: Seems that the state has eased contact tracing mandates. So at this point, a positive student will not cause half their [healthy] classmates to be kicked out of school for a week, with or without masks.

More and more, I get the feeling around here that the schools have not been trying to create the rules, they’ve been trying to best operate within the rules being imposed (yet still taken most of the grief). The risk our prior mask rule was addressing was not so much the [almost nonexistant] risk of the whole class being infected by a positive student, but the risk of the mandated response forcing entire classrooms of healthy kids to be sent home. If students in masks prevented the ‘potential exposure’ quarantines, then it was the right policy under flawed guidelines.

1 Like

Only those made in China. :smile:

He’s learning from the climidiots (no reference or offense meant toward women). Of course, that makes Algore a climoron because he didn’t go out 25+ years.

HCQ might not be all bad after all, but rather, like almost all these covid treatments (monoclonals, Pfizermectin, etc), work a lot better or at all only when given early.

In short, the actual scientific evidence used to dismiss HCQ is far from an absolute proof that it doesn’t work. Many of the studies commonly cited to dismiss the drug are irrelevant, too weak to bear much weight, or actually suggest some benefits. The RCT evidence alone is not enough for an affirmative case that HCQ certainly works, but neither does it provide any grounds to declare a priori that the results achieved by doctors such as George Fareed and Brian Tyson constitute “misinformation,” or are entirely due to confounding factors. At the very least, their claims merit good-faith close examination, including more formal trials that try to replicate their results with their exact protocol.

The establishment didn’t like a few doctors here and there that treated a thousand or so patients early in the pandemic and had nearly no serious outcomes.

3 Likes

Fifth wave of COVID seriously impacting Hong Kong

It’s deja vu all over again in Hong Kong:

From Reuters:

“The onslaught of the fifth wave of the epidemic has dealt a heavy blow to Hong Kong and overwhelmed the city’s capacity of handling,”

Read the full story here:

Hong Kong “overwhelmed” as COVID infections hit record

Good news for long COVID sufferers

And perhaps best news of all is that this remedy is OTC. Wonder how long it’ll be before this solution is panned and banned by the government’s medical establishment, who won’t benefit from this in their stock portfolios.

Long COVID? This over-the-counter drug can help

Her course of treatment, which now includes both over-the-counter medications, has also significantly reduced her additional long Covid-19 symptoms. She reported that she has regained 95 per cent of her pre-illness functioning.

2 Likes

Following up on the Canadian mandate protests.

And just to prove him right, Trudeau invokes the very polite Canadian version of martial law rather than talk to the peaceful protestors.

3 Likes

While this may be true, it’s not impacting Hong Kong to any degree like the ChiComs.

1 Like

Masks

3 Likes