Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

2 Likes

All the more reason the think it was here well before March, and far more widespread than initially believed.

Just curious - was it political pressure that prompted health officials to say that there was no reason to worry about being on those flights from Italy that had one person infected?

1 Like

The virus is resurgent all across Europe. They were doing pretty well. Now they are not doing at all well.

You can tamp this virus down through imposition of draconian measures. But the moment those constraints are relaxed the virus comes back big time.

1 Like

Well cases are much higher, but hospitalizations and deaths are still very low (even after enough time has passed for those to show up). I think most of that is due to the younger crowd socializing and testing ramping up. If you want an alternate perspective on this, here’s one with several interesting ideas -

He’s a bit more into the “it’s just the flu and it’s almost over” camp, but he makes some good points about the relative impact between flu season severity in prior years vs this year, reviewing the situation in Sweden, questionable effectiveness of lockdowns, and the like. Here’s a counterpoint to his recent video for second take on some of the issues raised.

2 Likes

I’m actually relying on news reports more recent that back on eighth of September.

Is that double-speak?

It’s true it’s near the spread of earlier this year in parts of europe. But you’re somehow saying “they are not doing at all well” when they’re still at much lower prevalence than the USA is right now… where you support we’re doing “excellent!”

Interesting turn of interest in polling. Coronavirus into second place.

Meanwhile, where they have things more under control, the same change in concern with climate change rising to #1.

Hopefully their recovery progresses. Though it seems impossible for them to get back the ~6% of GDP from tourism anytime soon, even in the best case scenario. Will be interest to see how much drag it is to handle any future inevitable outbreaks.

I wonder what their numbers will be for the next quarter, as they reduced activity in that one area for over a month now, but not nationwide.

1 Like

Putting Americans First:

White House officials wanted to get rid of the coronavirus task force as the pandemic raged in April

"…some senior White House aides wanted to “wind down” the task force at the end of April, even as COVID-19 was surging across the country.

“In the middle of a pandemic, how could you do that?” she said.

President Donald Trump announced plans in early May to wind down the coronavirus task force before abruptly reversing course and declaring the task force would “continue on indefinitely with its focus on SAFETY & OPENING UP OUR COUNTRY AGAIN.”

“At a certain point, we won’t need the task force,” Trump told reporters on May 5, adding: “But I had no idea how popular the task force is until actually yesterday when I started talking about winding it down.”

Troye…argued that the president showed a “flat-out disregard for human life” and that he was more concerned with the economy and his reelection than with protecting Americans.

“The president’s rhetoric and his own attacks against people in his administration trying to do the work, as well as the promulgation of false narratives and incorrect information of the virus, have made this ongoing response a failure,” she said.

Even Boris takes this more seriously than Cheeto in Chief.

Obviously the absolute least you can do is temporarily isolate infected individuals and close contacts, provide penalties for lawbreakers, and provide a subsidy to allow them to do so (rather than subsidizing businesses only and others that need no such subsidy).

"The new legal duty requires people to self-isolate if they test positive for coronavirus, or are traced as a close contact, from 28 September.

New measures also include a one-off £500 support payment for those on lower incomes, and a penalty for employers who punish those told to self-isolate."
"
“Fines will initially start at £1,000 rising to £10,000 for repeat offenders, and for “the most egregious breaches”. Up until now, advice to self-isolate has been guidance only.”
"

It’s pretty crazy their spike is barely higher than my county’s current hospitalizations (which are “low” now compared to the past months). Yet trump’s line is that Europe has a terrible resurgence and his administration has done an excellent job killing people. Trump’s own words: “We’ve pioneered the fatality rate.”

Of course he does, he had first-hand experience. Also he only pretends to be an idiot.

1 Like

I should have moved there earlier this year, myself. I fell victim to sunk cost fallacy as time passed and I didn’t make a decision. More and more sunk cost as time went by (as an optimist, incorrectly figuring at that point we’re further “through” and i’d already “paid” more and more of the cost of staying in TX).

In retrospect I was correct in my predictions of how CO would weather the past six months vs TX. Covid 19 with Abbot’s insanity and incompetence, but also the actual weather… and the available outdoors activities vs nothing at all locally.

I’m too risk averse :frowning: (with respect to an employment change) and too much imposter syndrome (no idea WTF I’m paid for… feel incompetent 90% of the time offset by about 5-10% where I’m a genius. So it seems to be a stretch to be able to get a higher after-tax income with state taxes applying to capital gains on existing assets as well as w2 income, especially with COLA adjustment considered. I’d need upwards of $150k/yr just to be equivalent to $110k/yr since single filer. ).

If I wanted to make a move Texas/Arizona (maybe NV) would be my choice.

But back to you, I’d say you’re young enough to take that chance. You say making a move is to risky, job change etc. As much as you know about money skills, finding a competent job would be easy enough. A large city in CO would certainly have mucho opportunities.

No family ties to hold you in TX (I think). But this time of year in CO, might start to get daunting. Wait until spring & make that break.

CO will not have that great TX Gov Abbot. His sanity & full competence is well known & appreciated. I’d move to TX in a NY minute. :blush:

1 Like

if you want 100F for months every year and the worst allergens in the country, have at it!

The opposite. But with Abbott intentionally keeping things off-the-rails I can’t really see them anyways…

As opposed to pointing fingers? I can agree with that.

1 Like
3 Likes

“Doctor” Atlas (aka “Dr. Zoidberg”) and appointee Azar at work?

Boy the CDC wasn’t off to a great start for this pandemic with their botched tests, but lately they sure have been fumbling a lot. Is it really too hot a topic to admit it’s airborne at this point? Apparently.

3 Likes