Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

Getting to the heart of the problem :slight_smile:

5.3 billion doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered around the world… that would explain why there’s such a huge chip shortage right now.

5 Likes

And the brain … of lots of people.

ETA: Fear of covid affects a lot more poeple’s brains than actual covid.

1 Like

It does. Some of the most common long covid symptoms are brain related.

Inflammation is bad.

For skeptics like me, the above just adds to my skepticism. It’s kind of like President Trump saying this or that is the “Greatest Ever” or the “Worst Ever”. Unless I know the facts, I take it as more of slight probability than a “Greatest or Worst” certainty.

Inflammation can be bad.

…yet so many people are so insistent that today’s results are due to some people refusing to follow the same 100 year old playbook that was used back then.

1 Like

COVID has killed about as many Americans as the 1918-19 flu

The United States population is now about three times larger than it was in the 1918 to 1919.

The Spanish flu affected mostly younger people but Covid affects older people and those with poor health.

Also see the post above about Covid statistics.

3 Likes

…and far more concentrated. No such things as subways, skyscrapers, or even nursing homes back then.

Actually there were subways around during the time of the last pandemic . . . . and in several cities.

Obviously the subway systems back then were less extensive than is the case today. But they existed. It happened earlier in Boston and in London. But in NYC subway construction got underway at the turn of the (last) century. They were very popular and construction continued apace for years prior to the pandemic.

4 Likes

I assume there were nursing homes of some sort as well. NYC’s first (11-story) skyscraper was built in 1889. But were any of those remotely comparable to what we have today?

Although I am surprised to learn that the NYC subway system had over 800,000 annual riders in 1915 (and over 1.3-million in 1920), compared to 1.7-million in 2019.

This was a good, if long video interviewing a doctor and an academic researcher on recent questions about vaccines and addressing many concerns people have about possibly getting vaccinated - fertility, alternatives treatments, immune escape, etc. there are 10 questions addressed and you can jump to the part of interest, but the whole thing was worthwhile.

For context, Seheult from MedCram has been all over Vit D, other supplements, improving sleep and stress levels, and many of these other approaches for improved immunity from very early on so don’t think it’s a Big Pharm “get our vaccine” pitch as much as a “please don’t end up in my ICU” one.

• 0:01:20
    - Should young and healthy get vaccinated?

• 0:06:47 - Risk of myocarditis

• 0:10:40 - Long-haul COVID

• 0:19:58 - Spike protein cytotoxicity

• 0:35:39 - Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)

• 1:01:17 - Antibody-dependent enhancement?

• 1:09:16 - Do COVID vaccines damage fertility?

• 1:14:13 - Will mRNA vaccines alter DNA?

• 1:22:32 - Are alternatives like ivermectin as effective as the vaccine?

• 1:42:02 - Do vaccines prevent Delta transmission?

• 1:56:04 - Will the virus become more deadly due to vaccines?

• 2:05:07 - T-cell immunity vs. antibody immunity

• 2:08:34 - Long term side effects / were vaccines rushed?

Some things I took away from it I didn’t know before, usually summaries of newer papers or preprints

• delta is causing symptomatic disease in a lot more people in the younger age cohorts, including children, than the older versions. This is even if you adjust for the older groups being more vaccinated. It’s bad news.
  • vaccines are a fair bit less protective against symptomatic Delta infection than they were against the earlier variants. PFE is only 40%, while MRNA is more like 75-80%, both down from 90-95%. However, protection against bad outcomes, rather than just symptoms, is still quite good 80-90%.
  • vaccined symptomatic people seem to transmit less “live” virus than unvaccined symptomatic people.
2 Likes

A few charts in this article to remind us that ivermectin is working very well in India where they make the drug locally and have no conflicting big Pharma interests.

Today, Uttarakhand and Goa are free from their pandemic because of their bold choice to use Ivermectin, and today Kerala is a train wreck because of their choice to abandon it. Kerala, who chose to minimize their Ivermectin use in April 2021, deleted it from their protocol on August 5, 2021.

On September 10, 2021, Uttarakhand had just 20 new cases in a population of 11.4 million, or about two cases for every million people. They had ZERO new deaths. Goa had 45 cases and two deaths, while Kerala had 25,010 new cases and 177 new deaths.

On September 10, 2021, Uttar Pradesh, a population of 240 million, saw nine new cases, or about one for every 24 million people. One death. Delhi saw only 36 new cases and ZERO deaths. Bihar, a population of 127 million, saw 12 new cases, or one per 10 million population. ZERO deaths.

One death in a couple states with around 360M mostly unvaccinated people, the size of the US but with a fraction of the vaccines. And we have over 2,000 per day under our compromised or ineffective leadership. Lest you think India is under reporting, the states that didn’t go the ivermectin route are reporting a lot more daily deaths.

In stark contrast, we see Kerala, a population of 34 million people, with 25,010 new cases on September 10, or nearly one per thousand. Deaths are 177 out of the entire country’s total of 308. Thus, more than half of all of India’s September 10 COVID deaths occurred in Kerala.

This debacle occurred despite Kerala being among the most vaccinated states in all of India. The Chief Minister proudly reports that 93 percent of Kerala’s residents over 45 have one vaccination while 50 percent are fully vaccinated.

Maybe we need to apply some more anti parasitic medication to the pharma lobby in DC to cure our pandemic response problems?

3 Likes

Origins update. The EcoHealth guys (of the early “covid must have been natural, totally not our fault, and anyone who says otherwise is a conspiracy theorist” academic whitewash) and the Wuhan Lab pitched DARPA on making chimeric bat viruses using similar viruses to SARS Classic, mixing in new improved spike proteins from the bats they studied, splicing in furin cleavage sites for extra human infectivity, and testing them in human lung cell cultures and humanized mice. Everything you need to make covid in a lab.

this was 2018. DARPA turned them down citing pandemic risks, but guess who funded them? Fauci and the NIH at the end of 2018. Less than year later, suspiciously adjacent to the lax bio safety conditions at the Wuhan lab working on this project, covid escapes into the city and the rest is history.

“Synthesis of Chimeric Novel SARSr-CoV QS: We will commercially synthesize2 SARSr-CoV S glycoprotein genes, designed for insertion into SHC014 or WIV16 molecular clone backbones (88% and 97% S-protein identity to epidemic SARS-1). These are BSL-3, not select agents or subject to P3CO (they use bat SARSr-CoV backbones which are exempt) and are pathogenic to hACE2 transgenic mice.”

“We will analyze all SARSr-CoV S gene sequences for appropriately conserved proteolytic cleavage sites in S2 and for the presence of potential Furin cleavage sites… we will introduce appropriate human-specific cleavage sites and evaluate growth potential in Vero cells and HAE cultures.”

general news coverage

2 Likes

And a direct link …

1 Like

How long before Dr. Fucci is asked about the $14million DARPA request.

A spokesman for DARPA had this to say …

Yeah, we screwed up with the Chinese plague, but remember, we created the internet so give us a break. Well, we sort of created the internet. We helped Algore invent it … right before he invented (and screwed up) the weather (we didn’t help him on that one).

More good coverage

Credit to President Obama:

Obama became aware of Fauci’s desire to pursue gain of function research perhaps midway through his first term. There was controversy in the scientific community about such research even way back then, with credible people on both sides of the issue. Fauci was a proponent of gain of function research. When Obama became aware of this he ordered a halt, (correctly) proclaiming such research too dangerous.

But once Obama left office, Fauci saw his opening. Unlike with Obama, this issue was not even on Trump’s radar screen. He had bigger, more important, fish to fry. However Fauci was still there, large and in charge. Without Obama to restrain him, Fauci went off and did what he was certain was right.

The result: COVID-19

Yet Fauci remains a media darling, respected, venerated. How many people do you have to kill before the American mainstream media turns on you?

Duh! None, if you’re conservative. :smile:
More than one if you’re a drunken liberal Democrat, who can’t swim, with family money made illegally.

4 Likes

I’ve got to wonder about when they’re going to stop this lockdown approach. This is Harvard B school.

Harvard’s Covid-19 dashboard currently shows that most of the 68 positive tests among Harvard students and staff between Sept. 20 and Sept. 24 were among graduate students. The site does not break out the numbers by school, but adds that 95% of all students and 96% of professors and staff are fully vaccinated.

Now I don’t know if, or how serious any of these cases are and I wish them the best. But the world is full of viruses and we don’t shut down the world because people test positive for flu, nor do we go around doing asymptomatic test surveillance for it.

If vaccinated people are getting seriously ill with a fairly high rate, sure, that’s something to be worried about and probably take public health action. If they’re getting a bad cold, or not even noticing because the vaccine is working, what they heck are they shutting things down for?

My real question on this “spread and outbreaks among the vaccinated” issue is “where are the Delta boosters?” It’s supposed to be super easy to just change the mRNA code for the slightly different spike, so why aren’t they giving boosters tailored to the actual current virus instead of the one from a year ago? The vaccines were 90-95% protective against any symptomatic infection back against Wuhan Classic for which they were designed, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Delta specific one would work that well also. Instead we have the old vaccines only providing 50% protection against symptomatic disease and so the vaccinated can spread it a lot too.

1 Like

Agreed. I took action today to cancel important near term doctor appointments and reschedule them out to next spring. Why?

Our most prominent regional health care provider announced yesterday (Sunday) they have twenty vaccinated persons hospitalized for COVID-19, with several in the ICU.

I read that, read it again, and I was like WTF!!

Natch, the number of unvaccinated people in the hospital, on account of the virus, was much, much higher. But that is of no concern to me personally, other than that I hope those people recover as soon as possible.

However for me as a vaccinated person, the numbers I saw told me I do not have the level of virus protection I thought several months ago that I had. I hope before next spring a booster shot becomes available for people like myself who received the J&J shot. If not, I will postpone things once again until I can access a booster.

The doctor appointments I am postponing are important. But they are less important to me than being hospitalized with COVID-19, and also less important than being infected with COVID-19 even if I am not hospitalized.

COVID-19, to me, is bad totem. :wink:

1 Like