Individual Stock Discussions

Trimmed some of my outperforming positions again today. Sold off 30 AAPL @ 490 & 20 NVDA @ 500. Used half the AAPL proceeds to add 225 shares of Realty Income (O) @ 60.65 (expanding an existing position).

1 Like

Will Google be the next to split? Thinking about shifting some exposure to Goog from AAPL. Aaplā€™s PE is no longer absurdly low, itā€™s higher than Alphabet now.

I held onto the AAPL calls. Hereā€™s to next Fridayā€¦ :beers:
Guess it would have been cheap to move the strike up $40ā€¦ Prolly should have. Maybe Iā€™ll do that Monday morning and move over some of the risk/potential gain for next week to Roth instead of taxable.

1 Like

Iā€™m terrible at finding new things to buy, even before this nonsensical market.

How does the potential continuing waterfall of corporate bankruptcies in various industries (the ones that canā€™t make money until well after a vaccine since we donā€™t have containment) affect such a commercial real estate REIT? Or have they been included in the recent payment moratoriums or expected to get deferrals in such a situation?
Does/can the REIT refinance all the properties to the new low rates like a homeowner could? Are they already somewhere crazy low like 2%/40yr?

/me has so many things I know nothing about.

1 Like

I jokingly expected it last week, but not sure what to do with AAPL nowā€¦

$408k account value on Aug 19. $505k premarket today.

Edit: I spent an extra $7k (premium) to move 12 of the 16 x $415 8/28 calls up to $485, still 8/28. Still holding the other 4 ~$10k callsā€¦

$65k realized profit on those 12 calls.

1 Like

Glad I didnā€™t listen to myself and held on to both. Stonks clearly only go up.

3 Likes
1 Like

My wife says King Solomon (sp?) was richer than Jeff Bezos will ever be.

1 Like

Ended up $86k realized profit after closing the other 4.

Butā€¦ sitting at ~$12k loss :frowning: (the $7k premium and another $3k) on all the weekly I moved to in my Roth that expire todayā€¦ of courseā€¦ Not out of those positions yet or figured out if I want to jump back in for another couple weeks.

Still no idea what new to purchase :frowning: . Almost $200k cash sitting in my IB accounts and another $120k in my retirement account. Eyeing GOOGL, but just seeing it go up as I sit on the fence.

Edit: Went with 4 replacement AAPL $450 calls 2 weeks out. Up from my 3 ~original AAPL holdings before the split was announced. I think Iā€™ll sit with this for a whileā€¦ either reduce them or go deeper ITM and hold long term.

1 Like

Appreciate the IRC reference. :wink:

I donā€™t have many answers for you. I make the pick based on this company being historically conservative and consistent. They are now a member of the S&P500 Dividend Aristocrats having consistently raised their dividend for 25 years. I agree there is a storm coming, but they weathered 2001 and 2008 and Iā€™m confident in their leadership.

https://www.realtyincome.com/portfolio/top-20-tenants/default.aspx

Their top 20 tenants include some clear winners like Walgreens, CVS, Walmart/Samā€™s Club, along with some companies that are not well like Regal Cinemas & AMC. Overall, rent collection was >90% last month. Not saying it wonā€™t be a tough time for the industry, but, like I said above, I am confident in their leadership.

1 Like

Rocky year, finally above January high. ~15% above Jan plateau, despite derisking in mid-March until the AAPL bet a few weeks ago. ($485 today vs $215-225 in Jan. Was $515 Monday morning but I didnā€™t sell the options thenā€¦). YTD + 27%. Or, approximately +1xPretax W-2.

If I hadnā€™t derisked in March, Iā€™dā€¦ probably have more than half the assets needed to partly retire and greatly cut hours and start traveling much more when USofCovid passports start being valid again. But it would have been stupid to keep all that risk with the level of uncertainty. Of course I could have partially derisked earlier during that long plateauā€¦ No regrets, at least in relation to my market gambling.

Pandemarket is crazy.
cash at broker could just about cover assignment for my only remaining long options. 40Xk mostly in cash, too. So now I see myself as only about 75% invested/market exposure as opposed to a couple 100% before March.

Edit: wow, I canā€™t find any evidence on Google of anyone else referring to the pandemic stock market as pandemarket. I canā€™t have had an original thought?

1 Like

Sounds like pandamarket, and pandas are endangered :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Anyone have thoughts on Alphabet? It seems relatively cheap now. AAPL and msft are both pushing pe of 40. Googl is down at a low 37. Googl has had higher growth rates than AAPL. And it looks like they have more or similar cash per share ( balance sheet) than MSFT or AAPL, too. PE looks less astronomical with googl than the other two compared to their respective historical PEs. Hasnā€™t had the run up in share price that AAPL and MSFT have.

Iā€™m at 1380 shares and 16 deep ITM calls on AAPL. Iā€™m thinking about dumping the 16 calls in a week or so (if it keeps heading up) and maybe paying $40-50lk for one GOOGL LEAP (planned for getting 1 or 2 years). Or maybe 1 in my Roth and 1 in taxable, but I donā€™t think I want to put $80-$100k at risk, with potential for crash and the inflated overall market.

1 Like

Shouldnā€™t have reduced my AAPL wager last Fridayā€¦

Edit:hmm, big drop at open. On the other hand maybe I should have sold this morning.

1 Like

Iā€™ve held a position in GOOG for a few years now. It has done well, but under-performed every other big-tech name Iā€™ve held. (Relatively speaking, but +78% in 3 years is hardly a failed investment) I like their strategy of dumping tons of $s into research in all sorts of fields. Reminiscent of Xeroxā€™s hey-days (although Xeroxā€™s leadership dropped the ball). I donā€™t think Alphabetā€™s leadership will make that mistake when they invent the next great thing and I want to be on-board for that.

Late to party, bought 1 Googl Sept 18 '20 $1600 call for $111 in my Roth. Edit: up 20% by close on the GOOGL callā€¦ Maybe should have bought a Deep ITM Googl leap in my taxable account today, too.

Iā€™ve never held it, but have bought call(s) or sold naked puts for ER bets. Crazy streak of something like 10-0 wins on GOOGL ER bets. First time now taking a position other than over ER.

1 Like

Terrible timing yesterday to add GOOG :(. Should have sat with my reduced AAPL position.

greeeeeed.

Iā€™m sitting out for a while. Easy come, easy go. I lost two weeks of nonsensical gains. Sold Googl call for $4k loss and down to just my owned AAPL shares and no options.

Only ~55% invested now.

TSLA failed to be added to SPY this evening, which might have happened.

1 Like
3 Likes

Should we infer the Nasdaq is headed for a correction, or even a bear market now?

A very interesting article, and kind of a surprise to me, if true. When did the FT stop allowing one free article? I tried to read the original, and presumably more in depth story at FT. No go from any machine or browser. :confused: