EFA foreign (developed) +5%
IWM small caps +3%
EEM foreign (emerging) +3%
BND bonds +2%
JNK junk bonds +2%
GLD gold +2%
USD cash +0%
BTC bitcoin -41%

Live by the bits, die by the bits. All non-crypto assets had a moderately good quarter. These were a pretty low hurdle to beat with active trading and Iā€™m happy to have done so :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Bumper for @xerty.

BNTX sold about 2/3 this week at around $250, up from $150ish average about a year ago. I think covid fear / sentiment is a bit too high currently so Iā€™m taking some profits.

1 Like

Is there any correlation between Bezos stepping down as CEO of Amazon, and him being shot into outer space on a rocket? Itā€™s probably [mostly] coincidence, but it does appear to function as a move to protect/firewall the stock should something go wrong with his flight.

2 Likes

I would have thought it was a hard requirement from the board and that it isnā€™t a coincidence at all.

3 Likes

Finally made the jump to unemployed. Got offered (indefinite) leave without pay instead if I wantā€¦ but despite that situation triggering cobra and having no guarantee of reemployment, it would keep the employer sponsored retirement account locked down (and thatā€™s ~30% of my nw).
My plan had been to convert that to IRA and sell/buy holdings I have in taxable. I think Iā€™m going to stick with a clean break.
Only squishy benefit with unpaid leave is I could claim iā€™m still employed 6, 12, months down the line, and also not show an employment ā€œgapā€. But the lost taxes if I canā€™t move my funds seem to be very expensive.

(Also cannot do trad-> roth conversions within the plan eitherā€¦ which I would be otherwise planning if next year ended up no W2. I need to reexamine how much I could actually access of this though, post if the trad is tied up in a contract I can only change from at 10%/yr)
I suppose I could aim to decide where to move on near the end of next year, that would allow me to still do trad->roth conversion in 2022 tax year. So mainly just the losses from high risk/ return holdings being trapped in my taxable brokerage account if I go with leave instead.

Wouldnā€™t your income be lower next year, so rolling the trad 401k out of the company and converting a trad IRA to Roth would be a lower cost next year than this with partial employment? Hopefully your income wouldnā€™t preclude this, but TBD on what they pass in that new ā€œwe hate you saving for retirementā€ section of the big spending bill.

You could still take the tax losses on whatever taxable holdings you have for this year, and just wait out the wash sale period. Marketā€™s feeling a bit flaky right now anyway, probably not a bad time to start your 30 day clock. Iā€™m not sure why you refer to them being ā€œtrappedā€ in taxable.

Yes I wouldnā€™t be doing any trad->roth conversions this year, only qualified plan roth ā†’ roth ira. But I wouldnā€™t be able to next year either, unless I terminated the arrangement.

Nothing in my taxable account has losses.

Right now I have some cash and other low risk investments in the employer sponsored account. You can only invest in what the employer deems you would be allowed to, which is only a list of funds. I actually currently have a decent chunk (>$100k) of Roth sitting in money market in the employer sponsored planā€¦

What I mean by it being trapped in taxable is that if I instead converted the funds from employer sponsored to Roth IRA (the largest bucket is already Roth in the employer sponsored) then I would be able to sell things in my taxable (realize ltcg, which is low tax rate) and buy those same things within the roth ira. Itā€™s not possible to just buy individual stocks or options within the employer sponsored plan.

I cant even access funds from the tiaa account through plan loans. They donā€™t allow any loans against the (100% vested) employer contributions contract. And they also donā€™t allow any loans against the Roth portion of the employee contributions contract. They only allow loans vs traditional employee elective contribution funds, which is ~3% of the account.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this. Hope you find another job that makes you happy soon.

I mean it was me that fired the job soā€¦

Weird middle ground. If I had around twice as many assets I wouldnā€™t ā€œneedā€ any more income.
Not to say I would do nothing.
Well, or really iā€™d probably have enough to sustain my current spendthrift levels indefinitely.

But yeah, lots of possibilities. Should be fun figuring out what I want to do. Currently donā€™t know if Iā€™m just going to end ā€œcareerā€ and do completely different things.

Bender, didnā€™t you talk about wanting to live in Colorado or somewhere else sometime ago?

Go for itā€¦ Youā€™ll never have a better chanceā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

So you canā€™t claim unemployment?

As @Pattyb53 mentioned, this is your perfect time to relocate to where you want to be. The job is no longer locking you your current locale.

No. Yes, I should have quit last year instead. /shrug

1 Like

2021 Q3, total returns

ticker type 2021 Q3
BTC bitcoin +25%
CPI inflation +2%
QQQ tech +1%
JNK junk bonds +1%
SPY large caps +1%
BND bonds +0%
USD cash +0%
EFA foreign (developed) -1%
GLD gold -1%
IWM small caps -4%
EEM foreign (emerging) -9%

Turns out it was a pretty boring quarter, but if youā€™re not going all in on crypto, you did well to avoid losses and being up more than a little was a win. It was a good quarter over here for stock trading, but Iā€™m not trying to compete with the crypto bulls.

For reference, even tho Q2 was a big loss for crypto (followed by this quarterā€™s smaller recovery), Bitcoin is still up about 50% YTD.

All that said, itā€™s worth mentioning that implicitly benchmarking this list to USD +0% might not be exactly what you want. Hereā€™s the inflation numbers YTD, running annually about 5% (about 1.7% for Q3), so all the real returns are solidly negative ex crypto.

US Inflation Rate (annualized monthly rate I think)
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf (recent month CPI changes)

I donā€™t wade into this thread much in the same way that a guy who always bets on black right before red hits shouldnā€™t hang out on roulette forums, but since I did just make a short term play, I figured Iā€™d post here.

Bought 400 shares on 10/12 @ $24.50 when I thought it was as low as it would go (HA!). Since it went even lower today on the ā€œgood newsā€ that only 293,000 people filed for unemployment, I bought another 360 shares at $23.32.

For the past 6 months, VXX has jumped up on the 18th, 19th, or 20th of the month. Hoping to unload next week for a quick payday. If it doesnā€™t jump next week, Iā€™ll just hold until the next time something stupid happens and volatility jumps again.

Trumpā€™s media / brand / social media venture is going to have its own stock and go public via a SPAC merger. It already got a Yuuge reception with the stock up 50% and the traded warrants up 10x. Took a few DWACWā€™s as a flier that a lotta Brandon fans putting a little of their money into this could easily create a GameStop type situation.

Hereā€™s their website that Google isnā€™t making it easy to find. Good political move too - mainstream media will have a harder time censoring discussion of a hot moving stock.

Bump for the updated charts above, but even those donā€™t show the full move. The common is $70 and the warrants $20+ in the after hours. This was a good description of the situation -

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-10-21/matt-levine-s-money-stuff-donald-trump-does-a-spac

My guess is that the price of Trump SPAC stock will not, for instance, be much affected by its earnings announcements, unless Trump himself does the earnings calls in which case it will go up no matter what he says. My guess is that the stock will not be particularly correlated with the stocks of other media or technology companies. My guess is that the stock will go up when Trump is on television, or if he announces that heā€™s running for president again. My guess is that if something bad happens to Trump ā€” if heā€™s sued or arrested or banned by a new tech company or some new scandal comes out ā€” then that will also make the stock go up, to own the libs or whatever. My guess is that each day that goes by without Trump news, the stock will go down a bit. My guess is that the stock is essentially a bet on Trumpā€™s personal newsiness, on Trump-news volatility.

TSLA on Muskā€™s latest Twitter and why heā€™ll be selling some of his stock soon,

1 Like

My plan I posted about on Oct 14 was looking dumb and dumber as time went on with VXX going all the way below $20 the first week of November. Until today.

I wasnā€™t looking at the market at all today, saw xertyā€™s post in the other thread and checked. Fortunately or unfortunately (weā€™ll see what the future holds), I couldnā€™t close out my position with that nice little profit because the markets closed early today. Weā€™ll see what happens Monday. Might close out all the way, or might ride it out a little longer if things still look bleak. As of right now, Iā€™m just happy to be above water again on a risk I took that was looking like a bad move with probably too much of my money out there than I should be playing with.

2 Likes