Inflation/stagflation Thread

CPI on deck for Wednesday this week. Longer term expectations for inflation have fallen with the market, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a fairly high rate for last month continue similar to recent ones.

• NY Fed: June Three-Year-Ahead Expected Inflation at 3.6% From May 3.9%
  • NY Fed: June Five-Year-Ahead Expected Inflation at 2.8%% From May 2.9%
  • NY Fed: June One-Year-Ahead Expected Inflation at Record 6.8% From May 6.6% – WSJ
  • MORE THAN HALF OF U.S. CONSUMERS SAY THEIR HOUSEHOLD FINANCIAL SITUATION DETERIORATED FROM A YEAR AGO AND NEARLY HALF EXPECT IT TO WORSEN IN THE YEAR AHEAD, BOTH UP FROM MAY - NY FED
2 Likes

Please bear in mind this is from a liberal source, Newsweek, friendly to Biden:

If true, not good for us or for inflation here. If Biden thinks he can go to Saudi with a human rights message for MBS and win acceptance or concessions, well . . . . . . good luck with that!! It hain’t gonna happen.

I don’t recall a Saudi anti-American, pro-Russian stance when Trump was POTUS. Heck, Kushner darn near had 'em willing to hold hands with Israel for goodness sake!! Seems like now there is a 180 degree turnaround since Trump lost.

1 Like

If there’s one thing this administration is good at, it’s meeting lowered expectations. Fair warning for Wed’s CPI -

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-11/white-house-foresees-june-inflation-reading-as-highly-elevated

EXPECT NEW CPI DATA TO BE HIGHLY ELEVATED : WHITE HOUSE

Economists surveyed by Bloomberg expect the report to show consumer prices rose 8.8% in June from a year earlier, which would be a fresh 40-year high following an 8.6% reading in May.

2 Likes

Oil prices down on these news items today, only $100/barrel.

• OPEC Oil Output Rose 234,000 B/D in June to 28.72M B/D, Cartel Says Citing Secondary Sources

• OPEC Oil Output From Members With Quotas Stood at 24.81M B/D, 1.06M B/D Behind Quotas

• Global GDP Growth to Slow to 3.2% in 2023, From 3.5% in 2022, OPEC Says

Meanwhile, on the Fed side, rate hikes are likely to keep coming in on the high side of expected.

“The tremendous momentum in the economy to me suggests that we can move at 75 basis points at the next meeting and not see a lot of protracted damage to the broader economy." - Atlanta Fed President Raphael Bostic

1 Like

Oil even lower, high $90s now. Also a reminder that rents rise slowly and will keep pressure on the CPI and inflation numbers for a year or more.

Housing could provide more fuel for inflation . Climbing housing costs are set to keep inflation elevated this year, creating another challenge for Federal Reserve officials who want to see signs that price pressures are easing before slowing their interest rate increases.

Overall annual inflation rose to 8.6% in May, while core inflation, which excludes volatile food and energy costs, hit 6%, according to the Labor Department’s consumer-price index. The June figures are set to be released Wednesday.

More here:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/housing-could-provide-more-fuel-for-inflation-11657618231

Housing inflation is important because it represents around two-fifths of core CPI and one-sixth of the Fed’s preferred inflation gauge, the personal-consumption expenditures price index.

housing costs are represented in government inflation data by two main components, one that attempts to capture the monthly costs for people who rent their homes, and one that calculates the imputed rent, called owners’ equivalent rent, or what homeowners would have to pay each month to rent their own house.

The first of these two measures is calculated in a way that is particularly lagged, meaning changes being reported today reflect changes in rent from six to nine months earlier. Because rents rose strongly over the past year, these increases are now filtering into reported inflation measures.

2 Likes

with the rising mortgage rates more people are priced out of buying with predictable results on renting

2 Likes

Lowering expectations for tomorrow’s CPI

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/12/cpi-inflation-white-house-may

• IMPACT OF ENERGY AND FOOD PRICES ON ANNUAL HEADLINE CPI IN JUNE WILL LIKELY EXCEED 40%, BASED ON MARKET EXPECTATIONS -WHITE HOUSE MEMO

• WHITE HOUSE MEMO NOTES DECLINE IN ENERGY PRICES SINCE PRICES MEASURED FOR JUNE CPI

• U.S. ECONOMIC DATA, INCLUDING JUNE JOBS REPORT, NOT CONSISTENT WITH RECESSION IN FIRST OR SECOND QUARTER -WHITE HOUSE MEMO

• U.S. ECONOMY APPEARS TO BE TRANSITIONING TO PERIOD OF SLOWER JOB AND ECONOMIC GROWTH -WHITE HOUSE MEMO

• GASOLINE PRICES LIKELY TO ACCOUNT FOR MORE THAN 100% OF EXPECTED INCREASE IN ANNUAL CPI IN JUNE REPORT DUE ON WEDNESDAY -WHITE HOUSE MEMO

• U.S. GASOLINE PRICES CAN BE EXPECTED TO DECLINE IN WEEKS AHEAD -WHITE HOUSE MEMO

1 Like

Q: How do we know the CPI numbers will be out shortly?

A: Biden left last evening for Israel. :wink:

1 Like

Supply chains. Rail and truck strikes, and China delays

June CPI results. 1.3% for the month is 17% annualized!

• US Jun Consumer Prices 1.3%; Consensus 1.1%
  • US Jun CPI Ex-Food & Energy 0.7%; Consensus 0.5%
  • US Jun Consumer Prices Increase 9.1% From Year Earlier; Core CPI Up 5.9% Over Year

market reaction and Fed expectations -

• FED SWAPS SHOW AROUND 79BP HIKES PRICED IN FOR JULY AFTER CPI
  • U.S. INTEREST RATES FUTURES NOW SEE 80% CHANCE OF ANOTHER 75 BPS HIKE IN SEPT -FEDWATCH
  • U.S. RATE FUTURES PRICING IN 22% CHANCE OF 100 BPS HIKE IN JULY MEETING, 79% OF 75 BPS -FEDWATCH
  • DXY Dollar Index Rises to 108.443 After US Inflation Data From 107.847 Beforehand
1 Like

9.1%

Holy crap!!!

2 Likes

It’s bad, but could this be the peak? I was thinking about this earlier and we are already seeing drop in consumer demand and purchasing.

Possible. I dunno. But until Biden relents on his energy policies inflation, even if it does not rise still more, could just plateau out at a very high level, say 8+%, which would help nobody.

We need massive North American energy production to move inflation down. And that is something Biden is dead set against and resolutely, actively opposing. That which Trump gave us, in the energy realm, Biden has cancelled, squandered, and badmouthed to death. It’s all an homage to his renewables false idols.

4 Likes

It’s more about the pressure coming from the extreme left side of the Democratic party. Obama was actually helpful to the fracking business a decade ago, when Biden was VP.

Today that which you describe, as above, is the Democrat Party mainstream. They are in total control of the party.

That was then. This is now. President Obama has not been in the big chair for a while.

3 Likes

That’s what I’m wondering. Inflation slows as demand slows - but a lot of what’s fueling today’s inflation are “essentials” for which demand isnt going to shift drastically no matter how much it costs. The only solution for that would seem to be boosting production to eliminate the shortages.

2 Likes

Continuing xerty’s post above, more supply chain problems in the future

The law, AB5, was passed by the Democrats to help the Teamsters union.

2 Likes

The I-bond rate for this next six month period is going to be very interesting.

This isn’t the only factor. I agree energy prices play a big role in what we’re seeing, but runaway government spending and the handouts of the pandemic are coming back to bite us. I think those are the factors that can be moved the quickest and to the greatest effect. Americans typically think the GOP does a better job with the economy - you see this in Biden’s dismal approval ratings.

The problem is that the GOP can’t stop drinking the Trump Kool-Aid. He is kryptonite in suburbia and that’s a demographic they need to win if they want to take back the House and Senate. Get people like Youngkin and Sasse in front of the camera and get the lunatics peddling crazy conspiracy theories back in the asylum.

3 Likes

Here is what the backup at the port of Savannah looks like, and it’s not a huge port. From Hilton Head, I rarely saw ships at anchor awaiting dock time at the port. Now, it’s constant.

ETA: The circles are anchored.

4 Likes

So much for the oil begging tour, but I guess the Fed talk about recessions has brought down the oil price a fair bit anyway, at least for now.

U.S. NOT EXPECTING SAUDI ARABIA TO IMMEDIATELY BOOST OIL PRODUCTION, EYEING NEXT OPEC MEETING - US OFFICIAL

1 Like