Whither real estate?

Note:

Real estate can include property, land, buildings, air rights above the land, and underground rights below the land.

There are 640 acres per square mile. So this piece relates to Gates having picked up in the vicinity of 3+ square miles of Dakota land. The largest landowner here where I live owns only about one square mile of land. Over three square miles is a nice piece of real estate.

Gates apparently believes this is a good investment, and my own gut agrees. But I happen to like land and the ownership thereof . . . . when it can be bought at a decent price. Land ownership can confer some of the same intangible benefits many folks enjoy with ownership of gold and silver. I’m very happy I bought my own land decades ago. Were I younger I would be buying more right now. If you do not already own land you should be giving thought to purchasing some . . . . if you can buy at a good price.

4 Likes

Home price increases slowed ever so slightly in April, but it is the first potential sign of a cooling in prices.

Or is this actually much ado about nothing? This tiny change is scarcely distinguishable from the noise. But you decide. I am merely your humble reporter.

ETA

However, all that said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/home-listings-surge-turnabout-supply-100000268.html

Hmmmm. Perhaps real estate actually is at an inflection point.

1 Like

Why Buying Property in These Vacation Destinations Could Be a Great Investment

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/why-buying-property-in-these-vacation-destinations-could-be-a-great-investment

Owning a rental property in a hot market can generate both long-term capital gains and immediate cash flow. In many areas, rental income can far exceed the cost of the mortgage on the property. This means that you’ll essentially be paid to own a property as it appreciates in value. However, to reach this investment nirvana you’ll have to pick properties in hot areas that generate consistent rental income. Here’s a list of five areas that do exactly that.

• 30A, Florida

• Mammoth Lakes, California

• The Poconos, Pennsylvania

• Windham, New York

• McGaheysville, Virginia

BumpBumpBump!

1 Like

There is stuff happening in the realm of real estate. All these stories have appeared within the last twenty hours:

60,000 is a significant number.

1 Like

See this post on the inflation thread

Renters find bidding wars in crowded housing market

When former prospective buyers are no longer qualify to buy, they still have to live somewhere. The only thing they can do is rent. The demand has skyrocketed, just at a time when supply is coming down.

1 Like

The latest from the AP:

There is a chill. And it’s not the weather.

Less home for your dollar

It hasn’t hit Charlotte yet, but I will be happy when it does. Have put off a couple of projects due to availability and cost of skilled labor.

Right no fear of sliding puts a bottom on the prices. It is not easy to see prices falling in nominal terms but prices will adjust in real terms when counting inflation

IMO the prices will adjust in nominal terms. They’re already adjusting. Prices typically go up in the summer, but this summer they’re going down. Prices may still be up year-over-year, but inventory is steadily going up and there are plenty of asking price decreases. In real terms it’ll decline even more, I suppose, although the increase in housing prices is already accounted in inflation, so a decrease can only mean less inflation.

Also I’m thinking the high-flying USD makes our real estate more expensive for foreign investors, which creates additional downward pressure.

1 Like

Wow! None in the Southeast.

While demand is falling off due to weaker affordability, prices remain stubbornly high. The median price of a home sold in July was $403,800, an increase of 10.8% year over year. Price gains are now moderating, though, as this is the smallest annual rise since July 2020.

1 Like

And this is in the non-hot markets. In Charlotte suburbs, they’re selling and re-selling very quickly.

However:

1 Like

Because when have they ever been wrong? LOL.

2 Likes

Moody’s: Homes are “overvalued”

FbBPYOsXEAA_Hk5

2 Likes

I fully expected Charlotte to be in the over-valued, ready-for-a-correction dataset. Nope! The Charlotte Metro region has a “low” chance of home prices falling in the next 10 months.

Here we go again?

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

- Sir Winston Churchill

For those with short memories:

3 Likes

They’re still using income and credit history to qualify, so it’s not quite the “ninja” loans that caused the subprime crisis.

1 Like