Inflation/stagflation Thread

—-

The World Bank expects commodity prices to remain elevated for years to come as the war in Ukraine alters how commodities are traded, produced and consumed around the world.

255x334
Note: Price indexes in nominal U.S. dollars. The numbers for 2022-24 are forecasts.

In its latest Commodity Markets Outlook report, the multilateral bank said that energy prices will soar 50.5% this year from last, after nearly doubling in 2021. The World Bank expects energy prices to then fall 12.4% in 2023. Food prices are projected to rise 22.9% this year before declining 10.4% next year. Food prices rose 31% last year.

Inflation forecasts from today

• University of Michigan 12-Mo Inflation Forecast 5.4%
  • University of Michigan 5-Yr Inflation Forecast 3.0%

And the government working on lowering gas prices, maybe. This was the policy a month ago

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-11/ukraine-war-puts-biden-and-u-s-oil-at-odds-on-domestic-drilling

and here we are

https://twitter.com/TeamPelosi/status/1519436231234387969?s=20&t=8E96LRCb7nhz569bhGXQKQ

2 Likes

More Fed missteps

New data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis shows that prices continue to rise at breakneck speed—and much faster than the Federal Reserve has projected

Although Fed officials have revised up their projections for inflation considerably, they have not meaningfully changed their course of policy from what was announced last December. It is now clear that those plans were made with very optimistic projections of inflation in mind. Those projections have since been shown to significantly underestimate the extent of the problem

3 Likes

Virtually all the goods Americans need move by TRUCK

and

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/filling-diesel-u-never-more-155011006.html

Be prepared to pay up and pay dearly.

1 Like

Nymex natural gas rapidly approaching the magical $8/MMbtu level. Just five more cents to go.

These are remarkable times in which we are living. But how average people are making ends meet is beyond me. At least we’re coming out of winter; that is a help. But replenishment of stored natural gas must go forward now for next winter. And the gas companies will not be selling that stored natural gas at a loss come fall.

1 Like

Commodities worked in the 70s I think. Oil gold, maybe BTC. RE with a fixed rate mortgage is a decent inflation hedge.

SeekingAlpha

Investing During Stagflation 101

This article provides data and examples for how (and why) various assets typically perform during stagflationary environments. Bonds and growth stocks tend to have the most trouble.

Above my attempt to keeps posts on topic.

Someone made a stagflation ETF.

So at least you can see what they own and think might do well. No endorsement!

2 Likes

Guys I am genuinely stunned. NYMEX natural gas has blasted through the $8 barrier and is well on its way, at $8.32 currently, to the nine dollar level. This takes me back to the beginning of this century and “peak gas”.

But wait, there is more . . . . all bad:

NYMEX crude is also, once again, on the rise and sits well above $100.

With energy costs ascending like this, continuing inflation is assured.

1 Like

Here’s the Fed today. Pretty much as expected.

• FED RAISES RATES 50 BPS, TO START RUNOFF JUNE 1 AT $47.5B/MTH
  • *FED: RUNOFF PACE TO RISE TO MAXIMUM $95B/MTH AFTER THREE MONTHS
  • FED EXPECTS `ONGOING’ INCREASES IN RATES WILL BE APPROPRIATE

• FED SAYS IT IS `HIGHLY ATTENTIVE’ TO INFLATION RISKS

• Federal Reserve Changes Fed Funds Range to 0.75% to 1.00%*Fed Raises Discount Rate 0.50-Pt to 1.00%*FOMC: Voted 10-0 For Fed Funds Rate Action

• FOMC: Balance Sheet Run Off To Begin On June 1

• FOMC: Initial Monthly Treasury Bond Run Off Cap At $30 Billion

• FOMC: Initial Monthly Mortgage Bond Run Off Cap At $17.5 Billion

• FOMC: Final Monthly Treasury Bond Run Off Cap At $60 Billion

• FOMC: Balance Sheet Caps Phase In Over Three Months

• FOMC: Additional Increases In Fed Funds Rate Will Be Appropriate

• FOMC: Interest Rate Paid On Reserve Balances Raised From 0.4% To 0.9%

• FOMC: Lifts Reverse Repo Rate From 0.30% To 1%

Expectations post the Fed meeting:

• U.S. RATE FUTURES PRICE IN MORE THAN 200 BPS OF ADDITIONAL FED TIGHTENING IN 2022; IMPLY FED FUNDS RATE OF 2.9% THIS YEAR

• INTEREST RATES FUTURES SUGGEST 94% PROBABILITY OF EFFECTIVE FED FUNDS RATE OF AT LEAST 2.75% AT YEAR END

• INTEREST RATES FUTURES SUGGEST 35% PROBABILITY OF FED FUNDS RATE OF 3%-3.25% AT YEAR END, VS 52% BEFORE FOMC

Looks like the market thinks we see ~3% rates by EOY. I would guess a bit lower, but I guess we’ll see.

2 Likes

I had to look this up. Apparently runoff means that the Fed will not buy new treasury securities that they hold as they mature.

2 Likes

They “only” are holding $9T on their balance sheet. At that rate they should be down to zero when all of you are old and I am long since dead.

And notice how they once again have postponed even commencing the runoff, now scheduled for first of June . . . . another month away.

Such a joke! But nobody is laughing.

1 Like

How exciting:

Why am I imagining this EFT having set up tens of thousands of trusts to buy I bonds $10k at a time? :grin:

5 Likes

You’re going to have to pay 2 & 20 for that, especially if you want to get it with 3x leverage. Margin is only 1-2% after all.

2 Likes

Yikes! I thought that they might actually sell some, instead of just letting them mature.

a friend’s comment on the Fed and how fixed income yields are moving up… a little

CD rates are up to 1.7% for 2 years. if the fed hikes 20 more times we might get a good CD rate

3 Likes

If they hike 20 more times we might be in big doo-doo :rofl:

2 Likes

So, costs are going up, and employers aren’t getting as much for the increased pay.

1 Like

Isnt that expected? The higher wages are to keep workers, not get more out of them. And, if your goal is to narrow the wage gap between the peons and the executives, it’s inevitable since most peons arent capable of being more productive no matter how much they’re paid.

From the article:

“Nonfarm productivity, a measure of output against hours worked, declined 7.5% from January through March, the biggest fall since the third quarter of 1947.”

If I’m understanding this definition correctly, productivity isn’t measured against compensation. So this isn’t about peons getting more money.

1 Like