Investment impact of Russia Ukraine crisis

US Intel failure / leaks. Nothing on the pipeline though, but more on our military capabilities and diplomatic/ espionage efforts than we’d like.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/intelligence-leak-exposes-us-spying-on-adversaries-and-allies/ar-AA19DplU

The U.S. intelligence community has penetrated the Russian military and its commanders so deeply that it can warn Ukraine in advance of attacks and reliably assess the strengths and weaknesses of Russian forces.

The documents point to numerous intelligence successes by the United States. But they also show how depleted Ukrainian forces have become after more than a year at war.

How’s that price cap going?

1 Like

Or … exactly what we’d like. While I don’t like the politicization of our armed services, federal police and other federal agencies, I hope/pray that there are still real men (or women thinking like men) in our intelligence agencies.

UK war drums - we’ve got to attack Russia since we think they’re thinking about attacking us.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2F2023%2F04%2F20%2Fvladimir-putin-is-preparing-to-attack-the-uk%2F

1 Like

Where does it suggest attacking Russia? All I see is asking for more defense for naval structures.

It’s more the tone of the article, and the headline “Russia is about to attack the UK!” which seems, at best, overselling their claims.

Meanwhile, can’t have too much hate for Russia, or maybe China if they won’t listen to us. Recent headlines on the conflict:

• THE G-7 IS CONSIDERING A NEAR-COMPLETE EMBARGO ON RUSSIAN EXPORTS AS A NEW SANCTION - KYODO.
  • US, ALLIES MOVE CLOSER TO NEAR-TOTAL BAN ON EXPORTS TO RUSSIA
  • KREMLIN: A BAN ON EXPORTS TO RUSSIA MAY CAUSE A GLOBAL CRISIS - IFX.

and

• CHINA TO PUSH FOR STABLE AND HEALTHY TRADE DEVELOPMENT WITH RUSSIA.
  • CHINA’S DEFENCE MINISTER: CHINA INTENDS TO STRENGTHEN ITS STRATEGIC COOPERATION WITH RUSSIA - TASS.
  • US TREASURY SECRETARY YELLEN: THE US WILL MAKE CLEAR THAT CONSEQUENCES OF ANY VIOLATIONS OF SANCTIONS ON RUSSIA BY CHINESE COMPANIES WOULD BE SEVERE.
  • US TREASURY SECRETARY YELLEN: CHINA’S “NO LIMITS” PARTNERSHIP AND SUPPORT FOR RUSSIA IS A WORRISOME INDICATION THAT IT IS NOT SERIOUS ABOUT ENDING THE WAR IN UKRAINE.

and

• RUSSIA’S LAVROV: WANT CONFLICT IN UKRAINE TO END AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
  • RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY: WE WILL CONTINUE THE “SPECIAL MILITARY OPERATION” UNTIL THREATS TO RUSSIAN SECURITY ARE ELIMINATED.

Not while the BCF is in power. Any “tough” talk is for political (re-election) purposes only and Ji-xingpin thoroughly understands and expects this. Any howling by China is only for effect.

I highly recommend the first two episodes of “The Diplomat” (US version) to further explain. I haven’t seen more, but look forward to our one hour per night limit over the next six days.

1 Like

A couple of drones explode over the Kremlin, probable assassination attempt by Ukraine on Putin. Calls for retaliation, a scorched earth approach to the Ukraine war, death to Zelinsky and other leadership, and the like were increasingly common by Russian politicians in response.

When asked, Ukraine denied blowing up any undersea pipelines :wink:

1 Like

It’s futile to explode a drone near the Kremlin. Zero chance it could injure Putin or anybody important. This pointless effort sounds more as desperation from within the Kremlin side.

1 Like

I think it is desperation on the Russian side. Putin is in trouble because the war has been botched so he puts up a false flag operation.

1 Like

Correct. From within the Kremlin side. Will add that portion to my post to clarify.

Putin is getting desperate.

1 Like

An escalation since these were over Russian territory?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-may-have-just-lost-four-aircraft-in-one-day-here-s-what-we-know/ar-AA1baCst

Edit. The big picture.

“Russian, as well as the Ukrainian, success in integrated air and missile defense have made much of those aircraft worthless,” Gen. James B. Hecker, commander of U.S. Air Forces in Europe-Air Forces Africa and NATO’s Allied Air Command, said on March 6 during the AFA Warfare Symposium,Air & Space Magazine had reported.

“[Russia has] downed over 60 Ukrainian aircraft,” Hecker added. “Ukraine’s downed over 70 Russian aircraft. So both of their integrated air and missile defense, especially when you’re talking about going against aircraft, they’ve been very effective. And that’s why they’re not flying over one another’s country.”

More Ukraine corruption, their Supreme Court taking $M bribes.

1 Like

It’s a young democracy. They have not yet figured out how to do this “legally” by paying for the judge’s lavish vacations, mother’s house, and nephew’s college tuition.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that would run $3M in total, certainly not in a lower cost country. Probably that happened too, and this $3M is just the extra :wink:

1 Like

Or for giving talks, and travel to conferences, husband’s income.

Jackson’s new disclosure form, known as a “nomination filing,” was first revealed by the watchdog group Fix the Court on Wednesday. On it, Jackson noted that she did not report $1,765 she received for teaching a seminar at George Washington University in 2014, nor did she report reimbursement she received for traveling to events at the Aspen Institute and the University of California, Berkeley School of Law in 2016 and 2014.

Jackson also wrote that “some” of her financial disclosures in prior years omitted income that her husband, a physician, received from consulting on medical malpractice cases.

2 Likes

I wonder how much of this is directly US taxpayer funded.

Where else are they getting funding … and how much?

ETA: Since the U.S. is the largest funder of their side of the war, wouldn’t it would make sense that we are funding most of their corruption as well?

1 Like