IRS falls still further behind with tax return processing

will try. What # did you use, any phone tree tricks?

Debating whether to pay the $4k on 11/6 for BOA CC deal Bank of America credit card 2% reward bonus November 5, 2022 - #16 by onenote or just mail a check when asked

Pay1040.com gives a transaction time exact to the nearest minute.

Personal
Tax Category: *
Form 1040 Series
Tax Form: *
Current Tax Return Year - 2021
Tax Form Option: *
Tax Year: *
$
Payment Amount: *
Within the US
Filing Location: *
Check here if you received a notice from the IRS in the mail regarding this payment.

If you submit that payment without a bill/reference number, it’ll likely hold up your return further because the money collected will no longer match what is reported as paid on your return (with no refund due, who cares how long it takes them to get to this error flag). But with penalties and interest pending, I’d still get them what you know you’ll owe ASAP. Worst case you save a bit on interest fees, best case your account reconciles to zero after the adjustments and they never notice that the last $4k was 6 months late.

The instructions to get a live operator say to skip entering in your SSN. But the last couple times I’ve found more success entering the SSN. It’s purely anecdotal, but it also feels like once you get through one time it becomes more difficult to get through a second time, like you are blacklisted for a certain period of time.

1 Like

Thanks! Paid w/ pay1040 today. I noted it was for 2021 1040 due to a notice, but it didn’t allow me to put in notice # etc.

In my reply back to IRS, I will include the printed pay1040 receipt saying I’ve paid back the Excess SS credit due to technical error (with the SS worksheet)

Should I still include W2s? or not to avoid confusion.

They refunded my $4k payment- $38 in interest in a check! wow. IRS error in my favor? or Bill coming later?

Meanwhile my $600+ 2020 refund still says 570 Action pending (i thought it was that check)

I think you are firmly in “anything could happen now” territory.

At least now, if they send a $4k bill, you have record of them sending you an unsolicited $4k refund. If they look too much they’ll see it was still late, but it makes a good argument for late penalties being waived.

3 Likes

and hopefully waive any interest too I guess depositing the check is a non issue?

Was it really unsolicited? I’d argue it was unsolicited in (whatever year he re-filed or deposited the check). Prior to that, I think it was very much solicited.

Sorry for my laziness, but haven’t found the appropriate group to deposit this … still stalling for Christmas …

4 Likes