Keesler Federal Credit Union

I’m just off the telephone with Keesler. A rep there letting me know their 5 year CD is offering 1.35% APY. That is a decent interest rate but here is the kicker:

Keesler’s EWP (early withdrawal penalty) is loss of just 90 days of interest.

There are worse CD deals out there. :wink:

1 Like

Keesler perversities abound and are sufficient to try the patience of a Saint . . . . . which I most assuredly am not. Latest example:

It was a simple request: Please move two hundred bucks from my Primary Share into my HIMMA Plus. Whereupon an invisible wrinkle raised up: I had already used up my six allowed monthly transfers for funds leaving Primary Share. But why invisible?

Well, using the Classic Transfer facility it is possible, with HIMMA Plus when you seek to do a transfer, readily to see the number of allowed transfers you have remaining. However:

Using the very same facility and choosing Primary Share instead of HIMMA Plus as the source of funds, NO SUCH warning message even appears.

Now everyone knows the old Regulation D six per month protocol is no longer in effect or else not enforced at most financial institutions. So it was easy enough for me to assume, since no warning even appeared, that Keesler was on board with everyone else. That assumption was erroneous. Here is your takeaway:

Regarding Primary Share Keesler is enforcing an invisible six per month transfer limitation. The same limitation exists for HIMMA Plus, but being visible it causes no distress.

The workaround:

I have a couple of workarounds, but only one I deemed safe. I could have ACHed the funds into Alliant using an Alliant pull. But Keesler is unpredictable, and if they denied the withdrawal Alliant would penalize me. So instead:

I executed a Keesler push of the funds out to Ally. You might assume that’s a withdrawal which would put me over the allowed six. Nope. Keesler allowed the ACH push to Ally to be scheduled without incident. Once at Ally I will pull the funds into Alliant and then ACH them out to HIMMA Plus. So Keesler:

Refused to allow a simple transfer of funds from Primary Share into HIMMA Plus, but willingly allowed a withdrawal of funds to another financial institution (Ally). It’s nuts.

Like everyone else I’m disappointed HIMMA Plus is going away. But I will not miss at all dealing with the many Keesler oddities. I do business at a great many financial institutions. Keesler is BY FAR the strangest and most “out there”.

1 Like

Just because you were able to schedule it doesnt mean it’ll process. It’s likely to bounce and piss off Keesler (the ACH department) the same way a pull would bounce and piss off Alliant. Yes, I hope I’m proven wrong, and I wish you the best on this.

1 Like

I agree. Who knows what these Keesler people will do. So far, though, the transfer continues to show as “pending” . . . . . as opposed I suppose to showing as “cancelled”.

There is never a dull moment at Keesler.

ETA

Well doggone, glitch99, I just checked and they actually did ACH my two hundred bucks to Ally.

I think you could have flipped a coin. But this time I happen to have won the coin flip. Come Monday I’ll just suck that money right out of Ally and into Alliant. :grinning:

ETA

Credit where due. Gotta be fair after all my carping, above.

That two hundred bucks is already at Ally and will earn interest there for three days. That’s same day ACH service out of Keesler and at Ally, too.

The pace of ACH services is picking up, and I’m having trouble keeping up. :wink:

1 Like

I never realized that you had such a gift for understatement. :smile: Try using their Docusign … pii in plaintext. :scream:

Bless their little pea-pickin’ hearts, the folks at Keesler have fooled me again, this time on the upside! You simply have to love these people . . . . . . otherwise they can drive you nuts. Anyway:

I ACHed funds yesterday from Alliant to Keesler. The funds showed up at Keesler later in the day yesterday as “pending” but with today’s date. It was a lot of money (for me), over twenty grand. So I figured, “OK”, good enough they will commence paying me interest tomorrow. I was satisfied. And I was wrong.

This morning I check in and those funds are in my Keesler account with yesterday’s date! So no loss of interest at all.

Lemmie tell you, there is never a dull moment at Keesler! :grinning:

1 Like

Which is what scares me. I would rather consistent, definitive (even if negative-for-me) policies than the fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants (or skirts for the gals) non-policies that I see from Keesler. I’ve still got about 5 months left on last Himma+ and about the same on my bump-up CDs. Barring some other top notch rate, I will be happy to move my money to some place where I have a little more confidence.

The sad thing is, their CS is pretty decent, but just not reliable/consistent.

You are one lucky dog! (Extreme envy.)

Keesler celebrates our credit union’s seventy-fifth anniversary next year. I am expecting a raft of specials in celebration of the big doin’s.

Keep a weather eye. 2022 is gonna be a huge year at Keesler! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Today being Thanksgiving, a non-banking day, yesterday was “Friday” at Keesler. And Fridays are special at our favourite credit union:

On Fridays Keesler simply does not complete work toward day’s end which is routinely completed on other weekdays. I never send funds to Keesler on Friday. I did send funds yesterday, Wednesday, and sure enough Keesler ignored the deposit. I guess they all went home early for Thanksgiving. I saw that coming and only hope sufficient Keesler staff shows up on Black Friday to credit my deposit in front of the weekend. But at Keesler nothing whatsoever can be taken for granted. :moneybag: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

OK shin, we are rooting for your prediction…

Like Honkinggoose I have some decent time left on my HIMMA Plus accounts. I’m going to be ready for an upward direction of interest rates because otherwise I’m doomed. :frowning: (like all of us)

And did they? Please also remember that it’s deer season. The staff that aren’t hunting are wrapping and freezing. :smile:

Keesler took good care of me. But not in the way I anticipated. Importantly, though, I have no room at the bottom line for any complaints whatsoever . . . . aside from the unpredictability.

My ACH of Wednesday, contrary to Keesler’s normal routine, was not acknowledged at all on Wednesday. However:

I noticed on Black Friday that the funds had been credited into my Keesler account on Thanksgiving itself!!

There is never a dull moment at Keesler FCU. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know about “deer season”, but I’m up early today 12/1/21.

Checking on my HIMMA Plus accounts. Sure enough, still got the good 1.40% ratings.

“Kessler staff” on duty! :blush:

1 Like

True to Keesler’s weirdness, on Dec 3, my wife and I received notices from Keesler stating that mandatory arbitration was coming, but we could opt out.

Kudos to Keesler for the opt-out option.

Raspberries to Keesler for:

1. The letter was dated September 30.
  2. The opt-out cutoff date was November 30.

I guess that’s one way to insure 100% compliance. Maybe the CDC will utilize this technique for forcing everyone to shoot up. :smile:

Keesler will be hearing from both of us on Monday.

Not nice! An e-mail or letter in mail?

I’m going to be interested in response from Keesler on Monday.

Honkinggoose is someone that is capable of handling the dispute. (Most Geese are) Even though he’s missed the “cut off date” for arbitration. :blush:

1 Like

It was two snail mail letters. I’m expecting a third one for out joint account. I’m hoping our rep is working in the afternoon, as my wife can’t call until after work. Will let everyone know how it goes.

I’m gonna muse a bit here; as OP I grant myself permission. :wink:

Some of this is about Keesler and some is not.

I was quite surprised at what happened over on the CD discussion thread. A poster there requested suggestions for a short money (one year or shorter) CD with an interest rate over 0.7% APY. I tried to help out, posting a link to a Lafayette deal only 10 basis points higher. What surprised me is the number of clicks that link garnered.

The size of the hunger for higher short rates should be a dope slap for us Keesler members. We are really lucky to have had our HIMMA Plus accounts all this time. Some of us have been collecting double, or nearly double, that 0.7% APY rate. Wow!

There was a time anyone could join up at Keesler. You might remember that amazing 5% APY Keesler CD back in 2018. Back then anyone could join Keesler, and a great many people from all across the USA did join in order to get that CD deal. But since then Keesler has tightened up on the memberships.

As for me, I was too stupid to sign up for the 5% CD. I ignored that deal and Keesler, too. But slowly I came around, triggered by belated realization Keesler is a AAA financial institution. While I missed out on the 5%, I ended up becoming a member before they shut down that option. I finally realized Keesler is one of “those” credit unions you simply have to join because the deals just “keep on coming”. And I’ve never come even close to having regrets. Keesler has made me a LOT of money.

But being old has its drawbacks. I’ve just made the mistake at Blue which I almost made at Keesler. Blue FCU is another one of those “gotta join” CU institutions. I’ve known that for more than a year, but I never got around to sending in my application. Now it’s too late. Blue has tightened its membership requirements and I’m on the outside . . . permanently.

Anyway, back to Keesler. My short money plan is to house my former HIMMA Plus dough at Alliant, at least for a while, at 0.55% APY, which is a respectable rate. I think, as all the HIMMA Plus money leaves Keesler over the upcoming months, they will raise the HIMMA rate to where it will exceed the Alliant rate. Or else Keesler will start up another short money special deal in order to get a portion of that short money back. While I do not think the interest rate will approach the HIMMA Plus rate, it might turn out to be north of 0.55%.

As for folks who were using HIMMA Plus to shelter their (former) CD dough . . well . . I don’t know what they are gonna do . . . . aside from taking a nasty hit to their income. I do think it is all that (former) CD money that sank HIMMA Plus. While I earlier had hope for a great Keesler 75th anniversary deal in 2022, the economy is so bad I dunno now if that will happen or not.

Same here. Received the letter after the cut-off.

Keeslerites, rejoice! We’re not up the creek, yet.

The story I got was that there was a problem at the printer, and the letters went out late. I bit my tongue, and let my rep continue. They are going to allow us until the end of the year to get the opt-out response to them. With the holidays, labor shortages, postal service (or lack thereof), covidpalooza, I’m sending mine in tomorrow in hopes that it gets there before the new year.

1 Like

Why would you opt out? Is it easier to hire a lawyer and pay the costs to file a lawsuit? For a vast majority of potential disputes you may find yourself in, arbitration will be advantageous over court.