Keesler Federal Credit Union

Thanks again @shinobi, for your excellent information about Kessler HIMMA Plus account and it’s demise.

I’m going to be ready for mine to go :cold_face: the middle of February.

A question is whether it’s interest stops the 15th, as I’m assuming, but they keep the account open until the end of the month? I believe you mentioned earlier that it does. But I’m inclined to remove most of the funds shortly after the 15th. If so do you think I will get that good interest on halfway between the month and the poor interest rate for the remaining time?

Does that make sense?

Like you I’m going to miss that good interest. I’m searching for someplace halfway decent for placement of those funds. 1%, maybe as good as anything available.

Ahhh, that is the question.

I didn’t mess around with that. What I did is to have my HIMMA Plus cleaned out, except for a few dollars to keep it open, on the six month anniversary day.

So what would have happened had I, instead, left serious money in the HIMMA Plus subsequent to that same anniversary date? How much interest would those funds have garnered, at a possible new interest rate, until the first of the next month upcoming when the account converted?

I do not have those answers. That is not what I did. I have a tiny confession:

I didn’t even try to learn answers to the above. This because I thought such an intricate situational question would overload Keesler’s ability to offer me a correct answer. So I just took (most of) the money out as of the anniversary date.

Certainly others might view this differently and think it possible to telephone Keesler, ask what happens in the aforementioned situation, and obtain a reliable answer. If that’s your view, I wish you well.

1 Like

Nice outcome at Keesler today

Busy day and I did not discover until late money in my Keesler savings that needed to be moved to Ally. It was nearly 1:30 pm CT when I made the discovery.

Immediately scheduled the ACH at the Keesler website. They are promising same day ACH service on this movement of funds to Ally. That will be pretty good if it happens. We shall see shortly.

ETA

It is now “shortly”. And doggone, Keesler pulled it off!!!

How they’re doing this is beyond me. Keesler sent my money to Ally, via free ACH initiated at the Keesler website, in THREE HOURS!!

No kidding. That is all the time they had. Ally tells me when money hits my account there, and of course I know when I initiated the ACH at the Keesler website. Maybe it’s just because I’m old. But to me that is scary fast for an ACH. Heck, that is essentially as fast as a wire!

Keesler: sure it’s a little wacky. But it is also the coolest credit union in the US of A. You never know what lies just around the next corner with this outfit. :grinning:

I am fortunate to be a member, if only for the entertainment value alone.

2 Likes

Great news for us Keesler members:

Keesler has published our 1099 data for 2021. You can log into your Keesler account, grab your 1099, and print it out.

God bless Keesler for not waiting until the very last minute!!

2 Likes

I’m waiting this morning for a final few 1099’s, Keesler being one, You’re right, I was able to print it out. Of course it also arrived in the mail today.

Seems like 2021’s a bit short of last year’s Interest accumulation. But I did purchase a car and an ATV which could have made a dent in interest :moneybag: pay.

But % of interest is going to definitely drop as maturing CD’s hit and replacement happens. I have a nice CD that matures 2/22/22.

1 Like

Then you didn’t

Then you didn’t buy any of the bump up CDs. :smile:

Out of the blue, the Goose returns! Happy to see your name on the fragile page. :blush:

But I’m not able to buy any bump up CD’s. I actually managed to get in on a couple add-on CD’s until they ran out.

Out in the cold, like every one else. Searching daily for anything that gives out a decent % interest rate.

Smart folks have have been offering Bonus deals found around and about. Help needed!

1 Like

He’s referring to the 30-month 3.2% Kessler CDs we bought a couple years ago. He should’ve said “step up” rather than “bump up” - they only earned 2% the first 10 months, but are now earning 4% for the final 10 months (and earned 3% for the middle 10 months).

So 2021 interest should’ve been higher than 2020 interest, based on this progressive rate. But that’s just one CD, and the step up isnt going to make up for other high-rate CDs that have matured.

1 Like

Yes, I do have those step up CD’s. But can we add funds into those accounts? I’m going to check.

It’s a miracle or another dud.

No, they arent add ons. It was just a joke about your comment that your 2021 was “a bit short” - when these step up CDs were earning 50%+ more in 2021 than in 2020.

1 Like

Got it… But I just checked out the step up CD’s.

But talking about interest being “a bill short” was because I spent “to much :moneybag: cash” out of liquid savings. Happenstance occasionally.

Showing up when working on IRS this time of the year. :frowning:

Tale of woe - Keesler got me

I always pay off my Keesler Visa Signature on a JIT (just in time) basis, right before our statements close, maybe a day before.

But this month the statement closed two days earlier than normal and I was caught off guard. Keesler (correctly) sent, to the various credit bureaus, news that I owed them over ten grand. Sure I paid off everything next day. No matter and no help:

I got fifty points wiped off my credit score . . . just KA-Boom!

It’ll get fixed next month. February sucks. Things change with the short month and I’m too old to keep up. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I was down and out for a few days from Omicron. Then Discourse decided that my browser is too old to show the wise elocutions of FragileDeal members and wouldn’t let me log in. The browser that they do allow is on a machine that I only boot up once a week, or so. Thus, the majority of my departure was due to Discourse. :frowning:

So far we’re still waiting and hopefully we’ll miss the Omicron. But great for you, only out for a few days.

Discourse, is that what you called computer fouling up? Disgusting disaster for me. Hopefully you fixed those problems.

Buying a new one, problem solved… But for me, a new one is like starting from scratch. Loosing much old information or tracing to find where it’s hidden.

My Kessler 30 Month Step Up CD matured today. Checked online and it’s already set up, New Maturity Date 8/28/24 .60%…

Woo, gotta get that changed. Must be a run on Keesler CU today. I was on hold for some time, #14 in line for a rep.

I’m happy :blush:, so guess it’s USAlliance CU, 18 mo 1.5% CD. Or the Connexus CU .85% Money Mkt.
Any better ideas?

But back a couple weeks ago I was wondering about the T-Money Mobile account. It looked good but I had a runaround getting into it. My problem is I don’t get mail at my physical address and they won’t accept a PO Box for the sign on Debit Card.

I don’t even want a debit card. I talked with two different supervisors and finally gave up. They have their rules and refused to cooperate. So goes life in today’s world.

1 Like

Is .6% the average rate, or the rate for the first step? .6%, 1.6%, and 2.6% for each 10-month block may not be all that ridiculous to consider.

As for your mail, have you ever tried getting mail at your physical address? If you talk to the right person, they may be able to connect that address with your PO box, whether it’s official or just something they do as a courtesy. I know our local post office use to do that (and I’m sure they still do), but of course this was in a really small 1,500-person township.

1 Like

Day before Mardi Gras too which likely affects at least some of their operations.

1 Like

You know glitch, I never even considered those steps. I just looked at the % rate and thought of a regular CD.

I consulted with the rep at the time about any other decent offerings and she never mentioned anything about the steps. Anyway $$’s are out now or at least by tomorrow.

I’m thinking about what you said concerning the Post Office. I might go in and see what’s available. Country living has its drawbacks.

I pulled their rate sheet, and it is .6% for the first 10 months. But it’s only 1.11% for the 30-month term, with only 1/2-point steps (so 1.1% the second 10 months, and 1.6% the third).

I guess it isnt particularly bad, but I do think it’ll prove to lag market rates the entire term. Of course it’s entirely dependant on what you do do with your money, but I think it was the right move to get out. Even their 1 year .7% CD would pay you about the same interest over those 12 months, at which point I predict there will be new rates that are much more attractive.

1 Like

Keesler HIMMA Plus accounts are completely off the books for me and probably everyone today.

I actually added funds to my last HIMMA Plus account the day before they stopped/closed business. Therefore I’ve been receiving that 1.4% rate. Today all those funds were moved over into my savings. No communication!

I didn’t know exactly how it would be handled. No problem, I simply started ACH transfers out of the savings today.

Maybe they will offer something decent for us savers again. :blush:

1 Like