Legacy Priceline Visa Discussion - 2% cash back on all purchases

My dude is 90 and literally went to “Space”. He will outlive all of us.

3 Likes

Just did a points redemption against a flight, and did not receive the 10% points rebate for travel.

I think the site may be is glitching. No email came to mark the redemption, first time I can recall that happening.

2 Likes

Still no email, but it looks like the error fixed itself. After my cycle cut, the credit and the 10% redemption bonus both posted accurately on the next billing cycle.

So a strange error, but no cause for concern. :slight_smile:

1 Like

YMMV, but I got targeted for 3x extra points up to $1200 in spend. Haven’t used the card for a few months as I was hitting a SUB.

Found it under Offers tab after logging in.

2 Likes

Very nice rlaw! No soup for me.

Been lurking here for a while…have folks had trouble with Priceline “Pay Now” hotel purchases showing up with the hotel as the vendor rather than Priceline? Thus not getting the 1.5x redemption?

I called and opened a case, but I fear they’ll just say that “Priceline wasn’t the merchant of record” like I was supposed to know that before purchase…

Well, got a letter in the mail that said nothing more than:

“We’re currently unable to assist you with your Rewards issue.”

I guess this is the end of the road for this card for me. These folks are incompetent to assist.

1 Like

so this is no longer true? This week, I have a direct charge from a car rental and a hotel. None of them gives me any bonus redemptions.

Got a response from customer service:

Thank you for contacting us about your priceline rewards Visa Signature card. We’re sorry to hear that you’re unable to get the discount on the points when you redeem the travel purchase.

For travel purchases, to get 1.5% statement credit redemption, eligible purchases include: cruises (as defined by merchant category), Name Your Own Price, Express Deals and Pay now Bookings, as well as purchases of Trip Protection products made on priceline.com. A Pay Now Booking is any booking that requires payment at the time of booking and priceline.com is the merchant of records.

For Non- priceline.com purchases redemption, it will be fall under 1% value of points when you redeem it.

You may check the details on how to use your points on the website by visiting 'Rewards & benefits center, then select ‘Using my point’.

1 Like

Payment’s basically got to go through priceline. I’ve had recent success in the last 3 months at 1.5% with express deals on hotels, cars and then ordinary airline purchases. I had a Hertz purchase (not express deal) not work but then an express deal Hertz purchase work.

So basically stick to express deal purchases and also airlines to be sure. I think regular hotel purchases that are pay now also work, but that may be more risky.

are you sure that direct purchases via airline qualify for 1.5 redemption?

2 Likes

No, no, to clarify that’s that’s ordinary airline purchases via the Priceline portal. Checking recent statements, all my recent airline purchases- American, Alaska and Spirit airlines purchases through Priceline all worked. Which is huge in my book.

As an aside, if any one of you would like to join my “Priceline VIP family” please message me with a screenshot of your trip totals. All I will then need is your priceline email and for you to accept the invite. If we combine for 25+ trips we get Platinum and 10% express deal coupons after every trip. I should be at around 15 trips by the end of this year and I would figure some of you do a lot of Priceline purchases, so we can both help each other.

FWIW, in the past, purchases directly through the airlines definitely qualified for 1.5 redemption.

I’ve drifted away from this card over the years, but my most recent redemption earlier this year qualified, using Hawaiian Airlines.

2 Likes

I’ve had no issues getting the 1.5% redemption value with carriers booked directly, as recently as two weeks ago.

Agreed that non-“express deal” bookings are hit and miss on getting that credit.

1 Like

Interesting developments on this card over the last 48 hours.

My billing cycle closed on Monday, Oct 3. While I closed with a $0 balance, I was charged $33 in interest. The reason was because while the minimum was paid on the due date (Sep 28) via autopay, I didn’t pay off the full remaining balance of 2k+ (which was well beyond the statement balance of $1,825) until Sep 29th. Barclays charges interest on the entire aggregation of daily balances in that scenario.

I called Oct 4 to ask for a courtesy adjustment of the interest rate, which was promptly granted. However, the CSR asserted that I would need to pay the $33 right away to avoid interest charges on this coming billing statement, since the credit would not post until the following billing cycle. Of course, this was wrong, and actually this morning, Oct 5, the interest credit showed up backdated to Oct 3 (so now my balance is $0.

So far, so predictable. But then this morning, I had an offer in my online profile that was actually interesting. 0% on all new purchases until June 1, 2023–almost nine months. I cannot recall seeing a no-interest purchase offer on this card in the 10+ years I’ve held it–and here it shows up right at a time that interest rates have been spiking.

I can’t believe this offer appearing literally the day after I’m charged interest for the first time is coincidence. I’m thinking the Barclays algo may offer these promos once they see a customer who revolves a balance while keeping a card in good standing. FWIW.

1 Like

I’m thinking the Barclays algo may offer these promos once they see a customer who revolves a balance while keeping a card in good standing.

I believe I saw the same offer a few days after a payment of mine a few days before the due date was reversed. I created and paid another payment before the due date, effectively double paying (as there was a second attempt made on the reversed payment automatically) but it may have created the same effect.

FWIW, I also have the 0% APR offer, and I’ve never carried a balance on this card. I have, however, cut usage back to a few bucks a month whereas a few years ago I was a heavy user of this card. But again - never carried a balance or paid a penny of interest.

It is getting really hard to use this card any longer. Back when all Priceline purchases were earning 5% and you could redeem the points on Priceline purchases at 110% or even 150% value, it was great. Nowadays I only get 2% on regular Priceline purchases and sure, you get a little bonus when you redeem points for those, but with Amex Platinum giving 5x on all airfare, and with Capital One Venture X giving 10x on hotels booked through them, it’s really hard to justify using this card unless the Priceline price is notably cheaper than Cap1 hotels. Yes, many times Priceline is a lot cheaper and then it makes sense to use this card…maybe. Honestly I almost prefer getting 2x Capital One points on Priceline purchases versus 2 Barclays points, when you convert them properly they are worth way more than what you can squeeze out of them with “pay yourself back.” I wish we still got 5x on ANY Priceline purchase…that was great…honestly the best way to book cruises, high value, did it for years. Clearly they just want people to “upgrade” to the new, less-great card. But at least we all got VIP Priceline status just by having this legacy card. I don’t see how Barclays can compete with the other players, they just do not give enough value anymore on any of their cards.

Welcome tlombardo77!

No doubt, priceline purchasers are trickier than they once were. For me, the killer hack for this card is purchasing airfare whenever you accumulate a pile of points. This reliably allows a 3.33% redemption with no redemption tricks or fuss. IMO that’s still hard to beat for non-bonused spend.

1 Like