Let's Compare: 5% Credit Card Rotating Quarterly Rewards

Transfer to Hyatt is the big draw for me, and I suspect with Chase holding the co-brand card, that won’t be going away soon. There are a lot of nice redemption opportunities there and I was able to get about 2.3 cpp out of UR given that Hyatt waives taxes and resort fees on award stays.

If Hyatt devalues, then I’m probably with you and looking to hop back on my grandfathered 2% Priceline Visa.

1 Like

This allows me to move Internet/Cable from USBank to Chase, so I can choose another 5% category for USBank.

BJs Wholesale club sells $500 Visa gift cards in-store at some clubs.

2 Likes

Bump. Q3 known for all issuers. Wiki updated.

3 Likes

Are airline baggage charges treated as tickets? I use points for most plane tickets, but baggage charges still seem to be incurred.

Bump. Q4 known for all issuers. Wiki updated.

2 Likes

Thanks. I haven’t even gotten my Chase notice yet. You’re on top of it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

A few bummer’s this year (so far):

1. Discover Target is Q2 so it won’t stack with the thus-far highly reliable 10% off target gift cards deal in early November.

2. No wholesale clubs for Discover so I can’t easily go to BJs wholesale and buy $1500 in Visas. I don’t want to bother with 7/11 for gas because 1) half the time they reject my purchase 2) I have a Wyndham rewards earner business card, which I find better for gas spend than Discover (8x Wyndham points. Some say the points are worth about 0.8 cents).

3. I live in Giant MD footprint. I’ve enjoyed buying Visa/MC for fuel points and using my 5% cards. I have low confidence that the deal will be back in March (no fuel point deal in Nov/Dec, and some weeks have no fuel points at all, not even closed loop merchant gc’s).

Usually, Q4 is slower for useful bonuses that require some effort (retail). So I’ve previously been saving my Blue Cash Preferred (6% up to 6k spend grocery with $95 AMF) for Q4. Now, I’m just making the spend in q1, hopefully downgrading my card to Blue Cash Everyday and refunding the AMF.

Good news still: Discover still has a Q3 Paypal bonus. It’s easy to pay taxes on payusatax.com with Paypal. Bad news: the system seems to only allow one Paypal checkout per quarter per person now. Hopefully, if Chase has a Paypal quarter, it won’t be Q3.

2 Likes

If you want to maximize Q4 Discover digital wallet category and don’t have anything better to do, you could buy $500 Visa gift cards at CVS using Apple Pay etc.

2 Likes

Or 500.00 worth of Walmart,target, amzn gift cards you then add to those wallets.

ACI also takes PayPal now.

2 Likes

Bump. Q2 2022 categories are all in.

2 Likes

Citi has a card called Custom Cash with 5% in Thank You Points for the category you spend the most in each cycle (up to spending of $500 per month).
While not all categories are allowed, it appears it could be useful for many.
With no other cards, many would find they qualified in groceries. With many cards, one might find occasional cycles where high spending in categories not covered by other cards would reach $500.
I could imagine spending on home improvement stores, amusement parks, or travel would reach $500 in certain months.
" Highest Spend Category

Each billing cycle we will determine your highest spend for purchases posted to your account in the following categories: Restaurants, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Select Travel, Select Transit, Select Streaming Services, Drugstores, Home Improvement Stores, Fitness Clubs and Live Entertainment."

There is also an introductory offer of $200 after spending $750 in three months.

There is “0% intro APR on Purchases and Balance Transfers for 15 months, and then the ongoing APR of 14.74%-24.74% Variable APR.” An optimal strategy might involve spending $500 per month in a category such as groceries (even if you could earn 5-6% elsewhere) to take advantage of the 0% interest.

See Citi Custom Cash Card

2 Likes

I use this card for restaurants only. I rarely go over the $500 monthly limit so works out nicely for 5% back.

2 Likes

I have 2 of these. Buy 1 599.00 vgc in CVS every billing period.

You mean 499?

meant 500 VGC but probably should buy 494.05 with the fee =500.00. No cashback over 500.00. Just realized that!!!

This quarter Discover is paying 5% at Gas Stations and Target. I went to the Meijer gas station on May 5 and bought a Meijer GC.

The Discover purchase states it is “Merchant Category GROCERY STORES AND SUPERMARKETS”, but they gave me 5% cash back on the purchase.

5 Likes

They do not give you the 1% on the excess?

1 Like

Discover IT gives 1% on the excess. So if you spend $1517.85, for instance, your cashback would be $75.18.

Chase Freedom/Flex gives 1UR/$ on the excess. if you spend $1517.85, you will get 7518 Chase UR points.

Citi Dividend has a tight annual rewards earning cap. Spending $6071.40 at a grocer will get you exactly $300 of cashback.

1 Like