Mailed tax return in October, still no refund

Well, I got,

Refund Status Results

[](javascript:printWindow(‘IRFOF’))

We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:

• verify your filing date;
  • check with your tax preparer

If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within six weeks of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.

that means they still haven’t opened your tax return envelope yet. Can you USPS track it?

Took me about a year in 2020 for a mailed PY return

Get a statement from the IRS today for interest income of $15.95 for 2021. What does that mean?

It means when they finally issued your tax refund, they paid you interest for the delay.

3 Likes

What will you do with the windfall?? :>

3 Likes

pay 20+X% back to them :slight_smile:

I have a letter on the way from IRS Ogden UT. Hope it’s good news :wink:

1 Like

was it from ogden?

Philly

my statement from the IRS today for interest income of $104 for 2021. But no refund yet? Do they really figure out 2021 interest income while waiting? I thought it was after refund issued

Happy it wasn’t an audit letter :wink:

3 Likes

Was your 2019 refund delayed into 2021?

You should also check your online IRS account - it’ll show you when any interest was credited (and for what tax year), and any checks that have been issued. In your case, “no refund” could mean “check lost in the mail”.

will do. you’re right probably PY. still have a 150 code on my 2021

wish they’d just put it on their 1099.

1 Like

OP did you get it yet? I still don’t have my e-filed 2021 yet either :frowning:

Nope.

Anyone successfully get through lately? It’s always too busy/call back, no matter what time or day for weeks now.

I’m having trouble finding a good mailing address for correspondence. Google results focus on the address to mail your returns and other forms. I’m still due an adjustment from 2020, for the waiver of the excess advance premium tax credit repayment (form 8962), which I had already filed prior to it being enacted. I suspect I could file an amended return and just leave out form 8962 per the guidance, but I want them to fix it so that I can collect my interest. Anything and everything I can find says to not file an amended return since this adjustment is suppose to happen automatically.

Still no refund. When I called the IRS number 2 months ago, I gave up after an hour on hold.

And on a related matter, I tried to file an extension for this year online. Says I have to set up an account for that. Have to create a 14+ character password and an authorization would be sent to my email from which I could log on. That email never came even after I submitted a second request. What BS. All this nonsense just to file an extension. Has the IRS seen a surge of scammers filing fraudulent extensions for fun and profit lately? Going to simply print one and mail it off today.

3 Likes

Got the refund today, 9 months after filing.

7 Likes

As a data point… paper filed for 2021 in mid February. Refund deposited today.

6 Likes

Had you been checking your account/refund status online? If so, when did your return first show as having been received, even if it sat processing for a while?

My paper return mailed mid-March is still “not received”; not sure if that means they havent gotten to it yet, or if it means it was lost.

I haven’t checked status. I read in another site that IRS was going to finish processing paper forms submitted last year before processing paper forms for this year. They finished processing last year’s forms about 2 weeks ago.

2 Likes

Clearly there is no way I can know for certain. However:

My best guesstimate is they received your return but have not yet opened it.

I have no explanation for harish7631’s return having been processed so quickly. He is very fortunate, in my view.

This is valuable information. Good of you to post this. Natch, by “last year” I assume you are making reference to 2020 returns.

2 Likes