Mailed tax return in October, still no refund

This morning, coincidentally, I was finally able to find a combination of phone prompts that got me to a live person. She essentially said the same, that it’s likely they just havent gotten it into the system yet. And once in the system, the processing generally happens quickly unless there are speciifc issues. Harish7631’s datapoint leaves me optimistic that my mid-March filed return is close to getting taken care of, and might make it into the current I bond rate window.

2 Likes

For sure, that’s what it’s all about. I hope you have better fortune six or seven months hence and are able to cast paper aside and file online. And for goodness sake, make certain come January that you overpay sufficiently!!

1 Like

Yes, the 2020 returns.

2 Likes

Hot damn! The mail hasnt arrived yet today, but informed delivery tells me I have what looks like a check from the IRS, and a few treasury envelopes that look like they contain bonds.

As of last week, the online system (both the “where’s my refund” tool and my IRS transcript) still had zero indication my return had even been received. So this clearly shows that is may take the IRS forever to get to a mailed return, but once they get to it they’re really quick in processing it.

Now to see if they paid interest on the full refund, or just the check portion of the refund.

4 Likes

I’m happy for you, glitch99, and I hope this comes out in a way which pleases you.

I think of your situation from time to time as I reflect on the new race condition which is brewing for next February. I will need, once again, to file my return as early as I’m able in order to beat a (what amounts to) end of April deadline for the I bonds I will be ordering.

I was successful this year. Can I pull it off once again in 2023? I dunno. It is a close shave. :wink:

1 Like

With any luck, the powers within the IRS will reassign those 87,000 new agents to the mailroom.

4 Likes

Yeah, fat chance. More likely they will interfere with the prompt processing I must have to avoid the May first I bond rate reset. I always file honestly. But some new IRS agent might not realize that. Must file early as humanly possible and then hope for the best.

2 Likes

No 2021 refund yet on efiled return :frowning: Amount is low but I’m worried about why so long

When did you efile, and does it show as being received in the Where’s My Refund tool online?

If it’s been a while and it does show online, I’d try calling (if you can get anyone). Sometimes there are technicalities that cause it to be held up. One year, my advance payments were recorded to the penny, but my filed return rounded it off to the even dollar - and that created a discrepency that caused my return to be flagged, and it was taking months for someone to get around to looking at it. When I called, I just said that I hadnt received my refund yet and the rep immediately saw the issue and quickly cleared the flag.

I think I saw a story the last couple days about how the interest rate the IRS is paying for delayed refunds just increased rather significantly. So you might be better off just letting them take their time getting your refund processed.

2 Likes

In additon to @glitch99 's comments, did you receive email confirmation that it was received?

Yep:

date: Oct 15, 2021, 12:07 AM
subject: Your Tax Return Has Been Submitted!
mailed-by: cktaxmail.creditkarma.com
signed-by: cktaxmail.creditkarma.com

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

Your Expected
Refund Amount:

$683.00

Refund Status Results

[](javascript:printWindow(‘IRFOF’))

Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available. For more information about processing delays, please see our [Refund Frequently Asked Questions.](javascript:openLink(‘IRFOF’,‘6638’,‘https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions’,‘R’,‘700’,'500’))

Please Note:

For refund information, please continue to check here, or use our free mobile app, IRS2Go. Updates to refund status are made no more than once a day.

1 Like

The glass half-full guy says congratulations. You’re knocking down 3%+ on your refund. :smile:

It’s 5% for the current quarter, will be 6% starting Oct 1.

1 Like

yes, but I’ll pay tax on it. Funny when I report it back to IRS

Make sure that you keep track of it. You won’t get a 1099 from Uncle Sam, or at least none of the people I’ve known who got refunds and interest received one.

1 Like

I have a IRS 1099 in the past.

2 Likes

I guess the people I’ve helped with taxes didn’t have enough of an interest payment. Do you recall the amount of your interest from the IRS.

It was about $100+ (interest)

More delays? Looks like IRS funding might be cut in Speaker deal.

I can’t imagine why …

1 Like