Mortgage Comparison Rates

I have a 15-year loan. It will be paid off in about 10 years.

2 Likes

I definitely saw 15-yr at or below the 30-yr, but I think closing costs depend on the loan amount (smaller loans are relatively more expensive than bigger loans), so itā€™s always YMMV.

I have two 30-year and at these rates I hope I never pay them off :smile:.

3 Likes

That is a good point to make.

An alternate way to look at it is that they arenā€™t really more expensive to originate. But much of the fixed costs (pay for the loan officer, inspection, etc) are the same or not linearly increasing. So even though the costs are smaller, theyā€™re a larger percentage of the loan amount. That means it takes a larger negative points credit (from taking a higher rate) to offset those costs.

2 Likes

You may want consider a cash out refi if the rates get low enough.

The rates are coming back down. My crystal ball says they may soon set new records, maybe even as low as 2%.

Thereā€™s some uncertainty for people already under quarantine restrictions and for those who might be under restrictions before their loans close (thatā€™s probably everyone), as mortgages usually require an appraiser (can be waived / electronic if LTV is low enough) and a face-to-face with a notary. I canā€™t guess how that might play out in areas like SF thatā€™s now under the ā€œshelter in placeā€ order, but a longer lock (45-60d) might be a good idea (and should be free as itā€™s also in the brokerā€™s / lenderā€™s best interest).

Explanation of why rates are going back down

F*cking CNN with their misleading headlines and misinformed statements.

The 0% interest rate means absolutely nothing for mortgages, because mortgages are not affected by the overnight lending rate set by the FED. Mortgages follow the 10-year Treasury Note, which is traded on the open market.

The cash infusion ā€“ buying of treasuries and MBS ā€“ thatā€™s whatā€™s driving down the mortgage rates. Not the 0% overnight rate.

1 Like

Well, yeah you have to read past the headline.

Itā€™s not just the headline though. They wrote (emphasis mine):

This is the second emergency rate cut in two weeks, and brings the federal funds rate to between 0% and 0.25%. Itā€™s designed to stimulate the economy by making it cheaper for people to borrow money for a mortgage, among other things.

Thatā€™s wrong. In the next paragraph they mention ā€œFedā€™s move to buy at least $500 billion in US Treasuries and at least $200 billion in mortgage-backed securitiesā€. That is the action designed to make it cheaper for people to borrow money for a mortgage, not the federal funds rate cut.

2 Likes

If I knew you were going to get so worked up about it, I would have highlighted that part only. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ironically this garbage article also made no mention of the 10-yr Treasury bill yields being well below their historic lowest. Now 10-yr notes donā€™t exactly correlate with mortgage rates but itā€™s way closer than with Fed Rate.

Also short-term lending rate drops like this are designed to boost economy/spending and thus benefit stocks more than bonds. In fact, often decrease in Fed rates lead to bond sell-offs as investor move capital from bonds and MBS to stocks, which in turns leads to temporary increase in mortgage rates. Bottom line, usually Fed rate doesnā€™t have much immediate effect on mortgage rates making the value of this article even lower than the Fed rate IMO.

1 Like

I didnā€™t know anyone still watched/read/listened to CNN.

Hereā€™s something interesting, Chase lowered their 30-yr fixed mortgage rate just for asking (and to a very good rate to boot):

Iā€™ve asked my lenders in the past to reduce my rate (nope) or provide a competitive refi quote (not even close). I think the only reason it may work now is because weā€™re living in interesting times.

2 Likes

Bring it down to 2.5% on a conventional loan and we got a deal.

Thatā€™s my topside number. Iā€™ve been trying for a week to get at, or below it. Not even close. It seems like if you own your house, no one wants to re-mortgate it ā€¦ at least not at a decent rate.

A free rate reduction with a phone call and a few signatures is a pretty good deal. And thereā€™s probably no seasoning requirement since itā€™s not a new loan, so you could try it again if the rates dropped.

It could be weeks before we see rates below 3%. Or they could go up. Or stay flat.

1 Like

Itā€™s a Jumbo, so I bet Chase owns the note rather than Fannie or Freddie. Without a middle man, it just takes mortgagor and mortgagee to agree.

Contractually, if you have a Fannie/Freddie loan, short of some government bailout program, your interest rate cannot be reduced. So if youā€™re in that boat, youā€™ll either need to refinance or hope for the feds to change the rules around, like they did with TARP.

2 Likes

Just for reference - if you want to refi right now, take a look at some of the smaller lenders.

The usual search engines that yield low rates - BankRate, Zillow, etc are offering uncompetitive pricing right now. Zillow lenders are almost all brokers/correspondents for the big guys (WF, PennyMac, Chase, Provident, etc), and the big guys right now are still slammed, so they arenā€™t offering their lowest rates.

However, I am seeing that many smaller lenders, like local banks and credit unions that self-fund and sell their conventional loans to Fannie and Freddie, are offering great interest rates that are a full half to three quarters of a point below what Iā€™m seeing in the search engines for comparable closing costs. This more closely aligns to the FNMA MBS prices right now in the market.

tl/dr: the big guys are super busy, so they are overcharging for refis. Take a look at the smaller lenders right now.

4 Likes

Iā€™m seeing record lows today for a 30-yr fixed, slightly lower than the lowest I saw in late February or early March. Rates have been slowly inching down into this range.

2 Likes

Same. I havenā€™t compared between multiple lenders, but have you found any that donā€™t have a large penalty for no-cost refis? Iā€™m still seeing about a ~0.5% rate penalty to go below $0 lender fee cost (which still leaves the full third party cost) on the lender Iā€™ve used before. By penalty, I mean you can look at the rate chart and the cost vs rate steps is ~$0 difference for a whole 0.5% change at that level before the steps up in rate reduce the fee further. This penalty seemed to first pop up earlier this year a few days after the first big drop in rates, so the no-cost rates are actually still higher now than back then.

With that 0.5% penalty, Iā€™m stuck at a 3.625% quote for a no-cost refi (and I last refiā€™d near end of 2016 for 3.75% no-cost) for a $155k loan in TX.