Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU)

NFCU, because of the pandemic, has announced they will NOT charge an early withdrawal penalty on any CD:

No matter what your circumstances, when money is tight, we want you to know you have options in this environment.

• No early withdrawal fee on certificates. We understand you might need access to your savings, so we’ll be waiving penalties for early withdrawals on certificates.

(COVID-19 Member Pandemic Relief FAQs | Navy Federal Credit Union)

Not to sound jaded, but…

NFCU, because of falling rates, has announced they’d love for you to break your higher rate CD and are offering to waive the early withdrawal penalty as further encouragement to do so.

This is done by NFCU because, in a time when many people are losing income, they may need money right away.

NFCU continues to offer decent CD rates, The 17 month 2.25% CD is still available. Financial institutions have no immediate problems paying some interest since existing loans for the most part have not lowered rates.

I agree with you, Argyll. Wholeheartedly!

I would be less inclined to agree with Argyll, rather than taking a more critical view, were I aware of MANY more financial institutions offering their members and customers the same kindness NFCU is displaying.

This sort of thing hits me where I live. I have FAR too many CDs maturing next year. I need that money now so that I can place it into add-on CDs. If more financial institutions follow NFCU’s lead I’ll be a lot better off.

I also have many CD’s maturing this year. But, my add-on CD’s are also maturing this year. :rage:
What was I thinking about? Rather, guess I wasn’t really thinking.

I do have that one account with Unify FCU. It’s an add-on CD 2.25%, matures 7/21. I do still have a very good add-on CD 3% that matures 10/20. That can help for my 2 Jumbo CD’s that mature 3/29/20.

Something to think about!! :blush:

Ladder the CDs on the future? Granted, if you have an influx of maturing CD cash you probably don’t want to keep it in high yield savings right now. Depends if you can find decent rates on 3 to 5 year CDs or bonds (not likely right now).

NFCU has cut its MM and CD interest rates this morning.

Their five year CD, not all that long ago standing at 3.5% APY, is now down to 1.5% APY for the jumbo, and slightly less for smaller deposit amounts.

MM rates? You don’t wanna know. :frowning_face:

I received the Flagship $500 bonus just a few days after reaching the minimum 90 day spend amount. This is only 60 days after the card was opened. In the past, it’s been awarded sometime after the 90 day mark.

It’s the third time I’ve done this in a year and a half.

5 Likes

Are you closing the card and then opening a new one? I am surprised they will let you do this so frequently.

Yes.

During this time, I also opened the NFCU Amex and received a $300 bonus. There is a 90 day waiting period after opening a new card. I had to wait 90 days after I opened the Amex to get the Flagship card again.

2 Likes

Data point

A good outcome for me at NFCU. I didn’t anticipate a poor outcome, but you never know in advance, never until the deed actually is done.

With only a few weeks remaining until its maturity, I successfully deposited almost fifty grand into my NFCU add-on CD. Those were in essence liquid funds, CD maturity being so close at hand. My APY on the money went from 1.25% at PurePoint to 3.25% at NFCU.

Certainly wish I had opened more of the NFCU add-on CDs when I had the opportunity. You only needed fifty bucks to open an account. I could have opened an add-on CD every week or two!

But my prescience deficit was far too large back then. I never imagined or saw coming a pandemic or near zero interest rates. :roll_eyes:

You can open only one of the special add-on CDs.

1 Like

Thanks, Argyll. I forgot that. What you wrote makes me feel a little better.

Doing my due diligence regarding NFCU over at Weiss Research recently, wanted to pass along this finding:

NFCU has a rather low level of liquidity. The NFCU rating is even lower than GTE’s liquidity rating, which I also watch.

Everything showing remains based on the 2019 year end numbers. The new, end of March, numbers should be reflected in the results very soon. I’ll be monitoring this in hope of seeing some improvement.

1 Like

This, as things turned out, is simply erroneous. I was wrong.

Why?

I was unaware when I posted that of the following:

The NCUA, on account of the pandemic, granted all credit unions up to an extra month to file their first quarter financial data.

This advances by one month the day we can expect to access new health ratings based on that data. Specifically, instead of an “end of May”/June first expectation, we can instead hope to know what happened in the first quarter before Fourth of July at the latest.

I opened a Platinum Visa card with 0% APR 12 months for balance transfers last week. I was able to close another Navy Fed. card and transfer the entire credit limit to the new card. I did 3 transfers, including one for cash to my Alliant checking account. We’ll see if that goes through. It has in the past.

2 Likes

Transfer successful to checking account.

3 Likes

also posted in CD thread

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but NFCU is currently waiving the checking account and direct deposit requirements on their Special EasyStart Certificate which is at 3.50% APY ($50 minimum balance and $3,000 maximum balance). One per member.

4 Likes

What does that mean? Is it waived for the length of the term?

I don’t see anything about a waiver on the website.

Yes, for the length of the term. No, it’s not on the website but I verified thru chat today.

1 Like