Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU)

NFCU lets you take advantage of bonus offers repeatedly but you have to get new cards to do so. You are allowed 3 cards at a time, so I have frequently taken advantage of bonus offers repeatedly. I keep one card permanently. You have to wait 90 days between card applications. For these, of course, there are applications and credit checks.

When I’m done with the bonus or BT offer, I cancel the cards and wait for the next offer.

They usually allow moving the credit limits from card to card. So far, when I’ve canceled a card, they have allowed me to move the credit limit to my existing card. In addition, when getting a new card, often with a low credit limit, they’ve allowed me to move credit from the existing card to the new one.

1 Like

Through June 30, new NFCU Amex More Rewards has $100 bonus for $1K spending in 90 days. It has 3% back on groceries, restaurants, food delivery, gas and transit.

No annual fee.

Platinum card has 0% APR for 12 months on balance transfers. No fee. Offer available through August 31, 2021.

1 Like

A shame they’ve reduced it. It was $300 for 3k when i signed up for this card in August 2020.

2 Likes

Flagship Rewards card $400 bonus for $3000 spending within 90 days.

Free one-year Amazon Prime Membership.

3% cashback on travel

2% everything else

$49 annual fee

Available to 8-31-2021

1 Like

Just a heads-up:

Last September, NFCU waived the checking account and direct deposit requirements on their Special EasyStart Certificate (currently at 3.00% APY; $50 minimum balance and $3,000 maximum balance; one per member); however, NFCU will NO LONGER waive the requirements on any new EasyStart certificates.

5 Likes

My NFCU More Rewards American Express offers through December 31, 2021:

• 5X Bonus Points on food or grocery delivery orders purchased through DoorDash, Uber Eats, GrubHub, Postmates and Instacart

and the usual 3X Points earned on restaurant and grocery purchases.

1 Like

Still no 1099s out of NFCU. Sure they have until Monday. But don’t they realize we need that data ASAP?

Per NFCU’s website:

IRS Form 1099

• Available through digital banking* on February 1, 2022
  • Paper copy mailed before January 31, 2022

Obviously, your (or my) urgency is not their priority :wink:

1 Like

I’m still missing a few 1099’s.

Navy— Kessler—-Sharonview—SunEast.
A few others only I have in Oklahoma.

But those of us that have CD’s must wait or go online and retrieve. I usually just wait.

Me, too. But this year the stragglers, like NFCU, are giving heartburn by making it impossible to file with certifiable accuracy.

NFCU has had this data for a month. Many/most other financial institutions have already made the 1099 data available. NFCU is the largest CU in America with immense resources. They have to be aware the IRS opened up the 2021 filing window last Monday.

What the heck is their problem?

I guess you can’t see this on your last month’s statement, right?

This came up earlier on another thread. Sure with a bit of effort it is possible to arrive at a number highly likely to be correct. Problem is, situation at the IRS being what it is, “highly likely” is not good enough. If you submit a bad number to them, one which does not match their input from the financial institution, that could result in human review of your return. And they do not have enough humans available at this time to ensure timely processing of such things.

The information you provide to the IRS absolutely must be precisely the same as that provided by the financial institution, else trouble could ensue.

So I’m waiting for NFCU to arrive at their number, which shortly thereafter will become my number. I see this approach as the only smart option.

1 Like

Could? Sure. But a couple bucks is unlikely to cause problems.

How many accounts do you have that paid a little interest, but not enough for a 1099? That alone creates some wiggle room if a 1099 should happen to come for more than it should.

But I know my number is right. If it doesn’t match their number, why would I report more income than I received? If there is a discrepancy, I’m contacting the bank to correct the 1099. It won’t affect my tax return regardless.

1 Like

Hey, two different people, two different approaches. I hope yours works for you. Ditto here. My big concern is revisions that come in after I file. That happens I’m a goner.

TD Ameritrade seems to send me a revised 1099 in the late spring/early summer every year. I’m not even sure what’s been revised, but I ignore it - and it has never caused any problems.

Not Impressed

I have just learned NFCU will not make our 1099s for 2021 available online until tomorrow.

They have to be aware how badly these numbers are needed by members wanting to file their 2021 taxes ASAP. They have to know about the unprecedented backups and delays at the IRS.

Yet they have taken every last moment allowed to complete their work and get those 1099s out to us.

Thanks, NFCU. For nothing!!

1 Like

I joined yesterday by phone. It took about ten minutes and very easy. I called in due to joining via deceased relative. Rep was great and knowledgeable. Mailed materials should arrive in 7-10 days depending upon USPS.

I am pretty excited (nerd alert!) as I have considered joining for years. It looks like they have a pretty good CD offer or two at the moment; not sure if any of the old FWF-like deals are still around.

What are you seeing there?
Compared to todays numbers in Fidlelitys offerings, the NFCU seemed terrible

3 Likes

You’re probably right… I’m not closely watching like some of you guys. I saw that they had 2 special CDs. The rates were good from what I remember. I’ll check again at some point and post here.

Short-Term Certificate Rates
Term	$1K Minimum APY	$20K Minimum APY	$100K Minimum APY
3 Months	0.40%	0.40%	0.45%
6 Months	0.45%	0.45%	0.50%
12 Months	3.00%	3.00%	3.05%
18 Months	3.10%	3.10%	3.15%
24 Months	3.20%	3.20%	3.25%

vs Fidelity

New issue CDs by top rates:
All
CDs
3mo