Social credit in America - Politics invades personal finance

Twitter - a step in the right direction

SAYS NO LONGER ENFORCING COVID-19 MISINFORMATION POLICY

4 Likes

Then stop putting on your shoes and start making your case. To the person receiving the message, there is no discernable difference between a lie and the truth. If the lie has more legs, it’s only because a more persuasive argument is being made.

We’ve seen how quickly lies can become entrenched when rebuttals are banned.

4 Likes

No. It’s because people are gullible and credulous.

1 Like

Again:

If they’re falling for the lie, it’s only because it is being delivered more convincingly. If it’s happening regularly, you need to reconsider your tactics - just assuming your truth is self-evident and thus inherently more believable clearly isnt working for you.

Problem is, many of the “truths” that are being protected by banning the “lies”, dont have very convincing arguments in their favor and are easily rebutted (mostly reducing said “truths” to subjective opinions). So instead we double down on banning the rebuttles.

2 Likes

You’re assuming that those who follow the lies will actually read the rebuttals. Most like to stay in their bubble / safe space.

1 Like

Isnt it pretty defeatest to continually insist that your argument will always be behind and unable to catch up with opposing viewpoints? To the point of having to artifically surpress those opposing viewpoints just for your “truth” to have a chance at being accepted? That’s a pretty tell-tale indication of someone who really wants to win but knows they cant without help.

Besides, often those “lies” are in response to your “truths”, so it should be a non-issue.

Most of your comments on this align really tight with the non-Democrat perspective of Democrats/liberals in general.

2 Likes

It takes a lot of time and effort to change someone’s mind.

Don’t put me in a bucket. We’re having an intellectual discussion about what could or should be done without specifying what’s a lie and what’s the truth. I recognize that freedom of speech and expression must be preserved except when it actually leads to imminent harm, while at the same time recognizing the weaknesses of the human brain, the difficulty of changing someone’s mind, and the unprecedented power of digital media and algorithms.

It’s easy, cheap and fast to say something stupid or untruthful and put it in front of millions of eyes. It’s difficult, expensive and time-consuming to counter it.

1 Like

It sounds like you don’t just want to recognize the weaknesses, difficulties, and powers (which don’t apply to everyone equally), you want to come up with some sort of regime that offsets them somehow.

Wrong. It’s easy, cheap, and fast to say something stupid/untruthful AND it’s easy, cheap, and fast to counter it. What neither side is guaranteed is millions of eyes. That’s where the expense and time comes in. When you spend the time and money (becoming a legacy media outlet for instance), you’re guaranteed eyes. Anyone worried about untruths should be more concerned with the legacy media’s untruths (outright or by omission) because of the guaranteed number of eyes.

Worrying about every lying nut on twitter is like worrying about the crazy westboro street preacher on the corner. Sure they’re gonna be able to convince someone, but that guy wanted to be convinced anyway and would have found something crazy to latch onto whether it was westboro’s message or someone selling crystals. But there are so few of those guys walking by that corner that it really doesn’t matter. The rest of society actually benefits from the daylight shone on the westboro preacher’s message. The same goes for the nuts on twitter. You have to cast such a broad net in order to suppress their nutty ideas that it becomes a game of whack-a-mole where a lot of non-moles end up getting whacked in the process. Better to just focus on the specific speech inciting actual physical harm and leave the rest alone, no matter how untruthful you think it may be.

3 Likes

Again, just conceeding that ‘the truth’ must always be behind the curve.

I’m just saying that virtually all the accusations being made surrounding those who tell and believe the “lies”, is exactly what tons of people see those same people (who are making the accusations) doing themselves.

It’s equally as easy, cheap and fast to say something smart and truthful and put it in front of millions of eyes. To those millions of eyes, both are equally valid or invalid - until they’re successfully pursuaded one way or the other.

I do. We’ve discussed the ill effects of social media multiple times, and quite a few agree that it is having a terrible influence on society. Not the talking to friends and sharing of photos with friends part, but the algorithmic micro-targeted amplification of news and “news”.

The difference is that this message is now much easier to spread, i.e. it is much easier to find a large audience of crazies than ever before.

1 Like

Said Xi Jinping. Of course, he can back it up with tanks and his Apple ally.

2 Likes

He did and he does. The communists have never underestimated the power of media. Their total control of all mass media is the reason they continue to have a tight grip on their populace (current tiny protests notwithstanding) and a cohesive and homogeneous society, while the west is toying with totalitarianism amid social division.

I’m not advocating total control, obv, just turn off the dam algorithms.

1 Like

Some onlookers would say that powers-that-be in the west appear jealous of China’s tight grip, and are trying to emulate it.

2 Likes

wait wut?

You think we’re toying with totalitarianism (which I assume you think is bad), but you are… praising China’s control over their media and you want something like that here so you can… get rid of social media algorithms?

2 Likes

In my opinion, Apple is going to kick Twitter off the App Store and there’s not much the Republican Congress can do about it. But Republican governors like Ron DeSantis can.

I’m not praising China’s control over their media. I’m pointing out that they’ve always had control. I also said I’m not advocating total control, or really any control over traditional media. But at this time I believe that the algorithms of the “new media” (facefook, twatter, etc) create more harm than good.

:rofl:
Like what?

Washington this week is in full wartime footing. No, it’s not over the Russian invasion of Ukraine or North Korean missiles or even Chinese expansionism. It is about Twitter and the threat of Elon Musk to restore free speech protections to social media.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has emerged as the bellicose general rallying others to the “censor or die” pressure campaign against Twitter.

The problem is that citizens are flocking to Twitter and signing up in record numbers. They want more, not less, free speech. The over two million new sign-ups per day represent a 66% increase over the same period last year, according to figures released by Musk.

1 Like

Like this

1 Like

That one makes sense, at least kind of. What could he or anyone else possibly do about one private company removing another private company’s app from its store?