Stop touching my eggs

Trader Joes has the best prices on a dozen cage free eggs. Yesterday, I decided to try their jumbo eggs which aren’t even available at my other grocery stores. But the cashier always opens the carton and checks the eggs. It’s a free service that I didn’t ask for. Except I already checked the eggs when I grabbed them from the fridge. Today I found cracks in two eggs. One of them the cashier held up for me and said, “this one isn’t cracked but we can exchange it” because it looks like clear veins are running through the egg shell; it’s hard to explain. But I found a tiny crack and ate the egg anyway. The other egg had a larger crack on the bottom so I threw it out.
#firstworldproblems

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

Wait - so you check the eggs before buying them, but then buy them even if you find they’re cracked? I mean, I know the old saying that knowing is half the battle. But the other half of the battle, using what you know, is rather important too…

1 Like

None of the eggs were cracked when I inspected them. I suspect that the eggs cracked when the cashier touched them but I cannot prove this. Although it is the only time when the eggs could have cracked because the carton wasn’t opened again until this morning. So yes, I bought cracked eggs without knowing. Hence, stop touching my eggs.

Correct. I am an Expert Porter in Death Stranding so I know how to take care of fragile packages.

1 Like

My best understanding is that cracked eggs can be problematic in that entry of bacteria is facilitated. However:

Much depends upon how the eggs are used:

For example, baking for a while at 350 degrees will kill most any bacteria . . . if it even existed in the first place. Hard scrambled eggs (thorough cooking) also is tough on bacteria. But

For those who prefer runny eggs, it might not be a good idea to cook up a cracked egg.

All of that said:

It is unwise, and unnecessary, to purchase eggs you find cracked at the supermarket. This is because you have no way to know for how long entry of bacteria was made possible. But

If you examine the eggs before purchase and they are fine, and then one or more eggs cracks subsequently, it’s not a big deal or cause for concern. Just use those cracked eggs first, thereby not allowing time for bacteria to enter, multiply, and cause problems.

To be doubly sure, candle them yourself. Your supermarket will remember you for life. :laughing:

1 Like

So funny!!

I always open the container & check for cracks before I check out. Put them in the fridge soon as I get home. Later if a cracked one sticks in the fridge container, I usually just throw it away. Don’t worry about bacteria, or losing 1 egg.

But I really work on trying to get high percentage rate % on my CD’s. :relaxed:

3 months later… I’ve been working on my computer (had to sign on again) & didn’t realize this is old news.

Surprisingly, none of the Costco/ instacart delivery eggs have had a problem. Just had another 6 dozen eggs delivered earlier this week (for 1 person, myself). Runs $4+tax per 2 dozen after all the fees and credit card rewards.

Initially I thought they might break some. I tried one time curbside pickup at Sam’s club and the eggs were trash, a few partly cracked and the others were inconsistent and looked “strange” after cracking and putting in the pan (brown spots in the yolks, blood in the whites). Had to throw them all in the trash.

Lipitor is gonna love you! :wink:

1 Like

Eggs are very healthy. Dietary cholesterol is not related to “bad” blood cholesterol… eggs raise “good” hdl cholesterol levels though…

That’s an old wive’s tale and/or cereal industry propaganda.
(Cereal and all of the commercial “breakfast foods” on the other hand… are terrible…)

You mean[quote=“Bend3r, post:13, topic:3678”]
That’s an old wive’s tale and/or cereal industry propaganda.
[/quote]

Were you alive in the 70’s and 80’s? There were almost as many experts, researchers, and scientists saying eggs were bad as there are saying climate change is bad. Sorry, not meaning to make it political, but it’s the most common, current “thing” of the day.

2 Likes

Along with the fake notion of “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day” and pushing foods that made everyone diabetic…?

Not to get into the related disinformation campaign pushing fat-free high-sugar (corn) foods? When fat is necessary and not a bad thing in itself?

I didn’t realize that had been debunked. All of these scientists have an agenda or fatter wallet … except the ones promoting bourbon. After all, it is gluten free. :laughing:

The “most important” part. Seems to be little to no benefit or disbenefit. The obvious rub is what is eaten, just like any other food/ meal.

What I’ve learned here is that if you want some free eggs, place a curbside pickup order from Sams Club then call for a refund after you get home and find half the carton cracked…

1 Like

One additional case study (sample size of one though…):

At first, I though that might have been my father, but his cholesterol is still in the high 300s. :frowning_face:

Caught my attention.
Do you eat eggs for every meal? Or another, How long a time would these 6 doz last?

I like Costco, but only go over every couple months. I can’t use my Double Cash Card. But when I need large bulky items I force myself, Costco, my go to store. NOT EGGS

2 Likes