Tax software for 2020

Wow FreeTaxUSA doesn’t charge an additional fee for paying taxes by credit card :thinking:

2 Likes

" A convenience fee will be charged by the service provider based on the amount you are paying."

1 Like

I didn’t do a deep-dive. I just saw this. Makes sense now though.

I paid $12.95 with my MC card. No fee…

Your $12.95 was for buying a product, not paying the tax.

2 Likes

Frys has the download version of Turbotax Deluxe + State for $30. I don’t know how many they have, or how long the price will last.

Sorry to anyone who purchased this.

It turns out that they were in error. The software they were selling did not include the state return. Additionally, the installation acted very funky and I called Inuit. They said that the installation doesn’t behave the way I described and that Frys is not an authorized reseller. I was freaked out enough to restore the drive from a previous image.

I didn’t necessarily believe Intuit, but my paranoia alert had already been set off.

Is this a bug? In H&R Block, I have a 1099-G for last year’s state tax refund of $201. But the last step reads, “Here’s your state or local refund results. Your taxable refund is $0.” I’m pretty sure it should be $201.

I think the state tax refund for FY 2018 is only considered “taxable income” in FY 2019 if you deducted it (as part of itemized deductions) in the first place on your 2018 return. Due to the increased standard deduction and the SALT limit, it’s likely that you did not deduct your state income tax, so your refund is not taxable.

2 Likes

Last year, I could not deduct my state tax refund because I owed state tax in 2017. But I noticed that the mini-worksheet for line 1 in Schedule 1 is different this year. Specifically, line c is “2018 total state tax” instead of “itemized deductions allowed last year”. If the amount of state tax refund or sales tax deduction is less than your 2018 total state tax, then the taxable amount is zero. “Taxable refunds of state and local income taxes” used to be in the mini-worksheet for line 10.

New TurboTax Premier is now available FREE for eligible Fidelity customers.

1 Like

New Costco coupon book for 12/26/20-1/24/21 has the $10-$15 off TurboTax coupons, depending on which version you get. Not as good as free thru Fidelity but an option…

1 Like

anyone here try creditkarma vs TT/HR? I know they monetize info (I’m sure the others do too)

I usually do standard deductions, so I like HR credits vs deductions tab.

No, but I recommend FreetaxUSA. It is $12 and works great.

1 Like

+1. FreeTaxUSA is great, it worked very well for me last year. I will be using them for tax year 2020 as well.

2 Likes

hope they keep it free (probably not knowing them

Looks like “Cash App” bought the tax part??

I will repeat my endorsement of efile.com. As someone who has to file in multiple states (five this year!) I appreciate that it’s a reasonable flat fee regardless of number of states.

3 Likes

Sorry for not reading the thread. Likely cheap source for TurboTax this year?

Got impatient. Costco for $50.

Which version?