The 2020 USA POTUS election politics, the civil war, and the world war (Part 1)

I’m ok with more accuracy and fewer irregularities if it comes to that. I do think a lot of our voting systems weren’t well prepared for the volume of mail with the virus and all. Security and trustworthiness of the results is important to public confidence in the newly elected candidate, esp in contested cases.

2 Likes

You mean we shouldn’t move to polling locations using an abacus and dipping a finger from each person into ink to show that they’ve voted somewhere?

They’re back at Biden ~80%. Higher than before last night. Rightly so, with the portion of the results that are in.
https://www.actionnetwork.com/politics/election-odds-predictions-trump-biden-betting-presidential-race-2020

This election is another reason to scrap the electoral college as Biden has 2.8 million more popular votes than Trump and the margin is likely to grow. We can’t keep electing minority Presidents. It’s not what the Founders meant when they established it. It’s unlike anything else in American democracy.

Madison and Hamilton saw the inherent problems in it as it became adopted by the States in a manner different than intended: Madison always saw electors elected at the District level, i.e. county, not the state level where they all go to one candidate, and basically up to half the votes of citizens in a state are not counted. Madison drafted a constitutional amendment to stop the winner-take-all system that evolved in most states by 1804.

Today only Nebraska and Maine have a partial district system.

Like you’ve been saying for weeks, there’s nobody to blame but yourself for mailing the envelope so close to the deadline :slight_smile:

Schrödinger’s kitty?! It’s either dead or alive! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Actually what we have today is not what the Founders meant either. They never meant for the president to be elected by the plebs.

1 Like

Maybe the Founders didn’t mean it to be this way, but the electoral college is the best way for today.

Meaning all the people have part in electing the President of the USA. I’m saying the people in the mid-country have as much say in electing our president as the folks in San Jose CA.

That is not the description of the electoral college. When everyone has as much to say as everyone else, it’s called a direct democracy, and we don’t have that right now. What we have now is the people in the mid-country have MORE say than the folks in San Jose, CA.

1 Like

And that’s OK… If not for the electoral college Mid-America would have no say.

Just above you wrote “the people in the mid-country have as much say”, now you are saying that it’s OK that they have MORE say.

If not for the electoral college, Mid-America would have the exact same say as everyone else. Why should any one person have more say than any other person?

Whelp, we’re boned.
How boned are we?
More than the ladies of the night when a navy ship returns to port.

Why, I thought your guy won Kamal?

Trump doesn’t have to win for us to be boned. It just had to be relatively close for the Trump behavior of the past four years to be seen as acceptable. It’s been normalized now.

See also, this guy won:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CawthornforNC/status/1323813315169165313

His first official act? “Cry more, lib”.

visiting Hitler’s vacation home was on his bucket list (seriously). And the Qanon woman who won in Georgia.

All the mirroring Trump/supporters behavior I did in this thread to point out how bad it was, and how it infuriated people, all normalized on the right now. America is boned.

3 Likes

Here’s where I quit!!

When conversing with you scripta, You just always have to have the last word. I don’t want to get angry again or I will get another of those hateful messages. lol :thinking:

One more thing… That is the reason for the electoral college.

This election is another reason the electoral college system exists and works.

Did you look at the maps of these undecided states? Nearly all are awash in red, with only a small handful of counties going blue, nearly all urban areas. People need to stop demanding that LA, NYC, and Chicago should get to decide every presidential election.

Why wouldn’t half the country have more say than a single city? Apples to apples, California has more say than any other state.

If anything, I’d change the electoral college votes so that every county gets one. That’s prevent anyone’s voice from being drowned out by the mob.

Trump strategy now commencing to emerge:

1. Subordinate Wisconsin and Michigan
  2. Count the outstanding Arizona vote, more than 600,000 votes
  3. Ensure, to extent possible, Pennsylvania outcome goes his way. This might, or might not, involve an appeal to the SCOTUS.

If Trump can capture Arizona and Pennsylvania, and given both Georgia and North Carolina are now in his column, he needs neither Wisconsin nor Michigan. If Trump wins Arizona and Pennsylvania he will be POTUS for four more years!

ETA

A strange turnabout

Completely unanticipated by me and much to their credit, the New York Times quite correctly has not called Arizona. FOX News, on the other hand, crazily called Arizona very early for Biden.

Go figure.

1 Like

That will cause an arms race in making new counties. It will also further enshrine the “land gets to vote” problem, as the thousand people in podunkville county have the same electoral power as the millions in a large city, meaning a single podunkville voter counts thousands of times more than big city voter.

1 Like

I wrote all that here, on this thread, exactly three months ago, back on fourth of August.

It appears the geniuses in Pennsylvania have just realized I was right.

My question would be as follows:

Have the people running the Pennsylvania vote known this all along? Or are they instead terminally stupid?

Either way, it’s one hell of a mess now.

Caveat

This has now come to pass, almost precisely as I described. I guess not much prescience was needed to see this coming.

Philly courts have made it impossible for Republican observers to watch the count there. You have to assume Biden votes are being manufactured right now and inserted into the process. No other USA venue, when it come to vote cheating, is as skillful or prolific as Philadelphia.

Yeah no. The gop legislature prevented processing of the votes before yesterday. Obviously it takes a while to process 2.5M ballots…

You’re screaming at the wrong group if it’s the “delay” you’re mad about. TX, for example, had the mail ballots processed as they came in.

2 Likes