The 2020 USA POTUS election politics, the civil war, and the world war (Part 1)

As opposed to the big city voter rendering the rural vote meaningless? Coming from New York, my vote was always meaningless - either I agreed with NYC or I lost. And outside the City, New York State faces some vastly different - and often opposing - issues, concerns, and priorities. Concerns and priorities that are virtually silenced on all but the local stage.

Did you look at the state maps? State after state, even ones Biden won handily, were awash in red, with isolated blue pockets. That area - the southern rural poor, the Midwest farmers, northern california, etc - represents the many different voices of America, and it’s often silenced by the whims of urban centers.

I guess it’s more the winner take all nature of each state. Regardless of how you decide to sub-allocate the electoral votes.

And yes, I’m aware it goes both ways - breaking up a state’s electoral votes would turn some votes blue in red states. This isn’t about winning, it’s about being fair.

1 Like

You skimmed too quickly what I wrote. My post had nothing to do with delay. I wrote, instead, about cheating in Philadelphia where no Republican observers are being permitted because of decision by Democrat judges.

Trump has now brought suit to HALT this obviously unfair practice.

The Democrats are doing everything they can to steal this very close election.

Yes, the reason for the electoral college is to allow some people to have more say than other people. It’s undemocratic. It was not meant to be democratic. That doesn’t mean it is right or fair.

The areas awash in red have few people living there. This is a ridiculous argument. A county is not a voter – a person is a voter. We count the votes of the people, not the votes of counties.

I can’t tell what you are advocating. There’s nothing more fair than a national popular vote – every voter gets the exact same weight. Your voice in NYC would not be drowned out if everyone’s voice was counted instead of the electoral college winner-takes-all system.

This has nothing to do with getting the last word, and everything to do with pointing out YOUR CONTRADICTIONS! First you wrote that people should have the same say:

Then you wrote that some people should have MORE say:

There is nothing more unconstitutional than a national popular vote.

The United States of America would never have come into being in the first place absent the compromise which brought the Electoral College into being.

Perhaps you would prefer dissolution of the Union? I’m good with that if it means we can disconnect from California, especially Southern California where you live which, more and more with each passing day, is becoming a third world entity. If we jettisoned you, not to worry, Mexico would be pleased to scoop you up pronto. And what a great fit!!

1 Like

The preamble to the constitution states that all men are created equal, not that some are more equal than others. We can certainly manage to do this better now than in the 1790s with slavery and whatnot.

The maps look red at county level because those counties are indeed populated by majority Republicans. However there are high concentrations of people in cities, so their numbers are crammed into a relatively few counties.

We can look at states that are heavily red for example, so as not to get into the whole red/blue thing. Let’s take Arkansas or Alabama or whatever. The cities there tend to be red, just like the outlying counties. I suspect the city dwellers in those cities have different concerns than the rural people, even though they vote the same for President. The rural county population gets more power vs the city population even in those states.

That is something inherently unfair if we believe all are created equal. The vote of the city dweller should be as important as the rural dweller, because the people are equal.

1 Like

Something unconstitutional today could be the law of the land in a few years.

I’m pretty sure the Electoral College was not a do-or-die situation for the founders. The way it was originally intended to function, where the person with most electoral votes becomes President and the 2nd place becomes Vice President is a far cry from what we have today. In fact, I think I would prefer that to what we have today, but only because the role of the VP has also become much more important than it was at the founding.

When I mentioned San Jose, I was referring to CA Liberal Democrat party having all the power of the State vote. It could be SF or LA, big cities with majority. I’m in CA & my vote means nothing in this state election.

And I’m quite certain it was.

Observing now the mainstream media propaganda arm of the DNC going into overdrive, spewing their jaundiced and erroneous views from every one of their numerous mouthpieces. Disgusting!

There actually is a case to be made on the Biden side, and it is fair for them to explain it. But you will never hear them lay out the situation from Trump’s standpoint. They are trying to poison the public against Trump. Nothing new in that, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The American mainstream media: WABOA

I agree with you – this is the problem of the winner-takes-all Electoral College system!

A nationwide Popular Vote would fix this – everyone should have an equal vote, regardless of where they live.

3 Likes
1 Like

Well yeah, that’s democracy. Voters are equal and voting influence is not based on geographic land ownership (of which urban own little per person vs rural with vast swaths of land). If there’s a higher percentage of the population in the cities and only a few barons controlling most of the land, sure that larger group of voters has more voting influence on a national scale…
At a local level, the rural areas have their own governments. And representation at the state level and national level.

You’re right, originally it was all about land ownership.

Biden now has a 3.3 million vote lead in the popular vote, 2.33% ahead of Trump.

The Trump campaign appears to be requesting recounts in Wisconsin and Michigan. The Wisconsin margin for Biden is 20,500 and the Michigan margin is 120,000. That’s a lot of votes to overturn. Most previous Presidential recounts in a state or county have been done when the margin is a few hundred.

Biden has a quite small lead in Nevada. If he wins that, it’s over. Trump needs all four states still counting to win.

Some places have un-called AZ for Biden with lots of votes in Maricopa still to go, which could swing this one. First batch will show up around 9pm ET. Without AZ, it will come down to PA.

There’s nothing more unfair than letting select major metropolitan areas dictate the national elections.

I know, this is what you like - everyone gets a voice, but your voice only matters if it happens to agree with a couple democratic strongholds.

This is the same thing as what screwed up the initial covid responses - entire states issuing mandates based on their large cities, ignoring the fact that those mandates were inappropriate, if not counterproductive, to most of the state.

The whole Federal government system was designed to ensure all people of all circumstances have a meaningful say in national policy. Do what you want, and 90% of the nation (by geography) becomes second class.

Which the US is not. Our entire federal government is rooted in representation, and constructed so that all areas remain represented.

• Enacted – 196 EVs (36.4% of Electoral College)*
  • Pending – 60 EVs (11.2%)
  • Neither enacted nor pending – 282 EVs (52.4%)[1]
  • Threshold for activation – 270 EVs (>50%)

74 to go.

1 Like